• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low ALT

Gondwanaland

My dr. said low ALT has no clinical meaning, but I would like to know further.

my result 13 U/L (range 14 - 36 U/L)

Back in June it was 28.

I am feeling better now than in June though.

Any input?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Dec 2014
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25468741
Low ALT blood levels predict long-term all-cause mortality among adults. A historical prospective cohort study.

RESULTS:
A total of 23,506 adults with ALT levels within the normal range, at the mean age of 48±11years, participating in an annual screening program for preventive medicine, were followed-up for a median period of 8.5years during which 638 died. Low-normal ALT values (serum ALT activity <17IU/L) were found to be predictive for increased risk of all-cause mortality (HR=1.6; 95% CI 1.34-1.92; p<0.001). Statistically significant correlation was demonstrated even after applying a multifactorial model correction for age, gender, eGFR, low albumin, arterial hypertension, diabetes mellitus and ischemic heart disease.

Gondwanaland

Thanks @Sherlock
dead.gif

melamine

@Gondwanaland - My first thought on reading further on the meaning of low ALT is that it must be a lab error. I wonder if your AST level would provide any clue to whether that might be the case. I would have it re-checked anyway. Please post what you find out!

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 14

duncan

Hmmm...I recorded an ALT of 8, barely low with the range being 9-46 u/L.

That was 18 months ago. I'm pleased to report most signs are suggestive I'm still here. :)

Of course, that was an 8.5 year pivot point in that nih study, so there's more time for stats to prove their point.

Gondwanaland

@melamine I don't think so... AST was in range 21 (14 - 36 U/L)

I wonder what causes it to be low and if is there being impaired by a low ALT

I have been eating a lot of artichokes lately and taking silymarin 2x weekely. Also Previously I took a multimineral with manganese in it and now my estrogen is high. RBC count is also low due to heavy and long period.

Sherlock

I wonder what causes it to be low and if is there being impaired by a low ALT
Maybe this?
"The possible interpretation is that the lower ALT activity indicates aging and frailty [19][22] in overall health, decreased size and reduced blood flow of the liver [23], [24], which might increase susceptibility to a number of diseases."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3954728/

RBC count is also low due to heavy and long period.
Reduced production of clotting factors in liver leads to bleeding?

melamine

I have been eating a lot of artichokes lately and taking silymarin 2x weekely

Could it be they are that effective?!! The ratio of ALT to AST can be useful, but my guess would be that your diet was especially low in protein at the time of the test, or the low ALT was a result of a combination of factors working in favor of your liver function: if small amounts of toxins and even exercise can show an immediate effect on the enzymes, it's reasonable to expect that foods and supplements favoring it would have an immediate effect as well - and reassuring.

Gondwanaland

Reduced production of clotting factors in liver leads to bleeding?
sherlock.gif
Elementary, my dear Sherlock! I think it could be it. Low RBC, therefore low ALT :thumbsup:

The bleeding is finally subsiding after 8 days on progesterone cream and 4 days on 20mg B1 in the morning.

The ratio of ALT to AST can be useful, but my guess would be that your diet was especially low in protein at the time of the test
I make sure to eat animal protein in all my meals, be it cheese/yogurt or meat/poultry/egg yolks/bacon (in addition to some beans and seeds).

Sherlock

I make sure to eat animal protein in all my meals, be it cheese/yogurt or meat/poultry/egg yolks/bacon (in addition to some beans and seeds).
I was meaning to ask if you avoided protein because of wanting to minimize urea/ammonia - related to whether high protein can lead to polyuria in some people.

Hey, where do you get a Sherlock smiley?
sherlock.gif

Gondwanaland

I was meaning to ask if you avoided protein because of wanting to minimize urea/ammonia - related to whether high protein can lead to polyuria in some people.
I even added dairy (no milk though) back to my diet due to lysine and calcium content. It is supposed to be beneficial if uric acid is high. Meat in general hasn't been a problem after I solved the salicylate problem. I actually had to eat only rice, potatoes, bananas and oranges (hi arginine) for a couple of days.:jaw-drop:
Hey, where do you get a Sherlock smiley?
sherlock.gif
google :woot: