• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Healing Music - Beethoven's 7th Symphony

Wayne

I received an email this past week, and just got around to checking out the video link (9 min.) that was included. I'm mostly a casual listener of symphony music, but I have to say this piece did have a somewhat of a haunting (healing?) quality to it. So I pass it along for anybody who might be interested.

From my email:
"...consider Beethoven’s 7th Symphony, composed to benefit soldiers wounded at the Battle of Hanau (more than 10,000 died.) The beginning of the Second Movement is one of the most powerful healing themes ever composed . Without the battlefield, there would be no 7th Symphony."

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I received an email this past week, and just got around to checking out the video link (9 min.) that was included. I'm mostly a casual listener of symphony music, but I have to say this piece did have a somewhat of a haunting (healing?) quality to it. So I pass it along for anybody who might be interested.

Lovely, Wayne! Thanks for posting this.

Sushi

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
If you're looking for a song that will give you goosebumps and/or make you cry, maybe this is the one. Each artist uses a slightly different style and while Sia seems to mumble a lot she can really belt it out!

After seeing "Chandelier" performed by Emily West on America's Got Talent
(if you want to skip her bio, her performance starts at 1:12)

and then seeing it performed by Jean Kelley on The Voice

I was curious about the artist "Sia" who was the first artist to record it:

Sia doesn't like to show her face when she performs - she says she doesn't want to be famous, so she always performs with her back to the audience. I thought how odd, but the song is so moving as are the lyrics. Her performance is almost a metaphor for those of us with ME/CFS - unseen, crying out for help, wanting a better life, any life, not necessarily reaching for the bottle, but for some shred of joy.

Here are the lyrics:

Party girls don't get hurt
Can't feel anything, when will I learn
I push it down, push it down

I'm the one "for a good time call"
Phone's blowin' up, they're ringin' my doorbell
I feel the love, feel the love

[Pre-Chorus]
1,2,3 1,2,3 drink
1,2,3 1,2,3 drink
1,2,3 1,2,3 drink

Throw 'em back, 'til I lose count

[Chorus]
I'm gonna swing from the chandelier, from the chandelier
I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist
Like it doesn't exist
I'm gonna fly like a bird through the night, feel my tears as they dry

But I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light, 'cos I'm just holding on for tonight
Help me, I'm holding on for dear life, won't look down won't open my eyes
Keep my glass full until morning light, 'cos I'm just holding on for tonight
On for tonight

Sun is up, I'm a mess
Gotta get out now, gotta run from this
Here comes the shame, here comes the shame

[Pre-Chorus]
1,2,3 1,2,3 drink
1,2,3 1,2,3 drink
1,2,3 1,2,3 drink

[Chorus]
I'm gonna live like tomorrow doesn't exist
Like it doesn't exist
I'm gonna fly like a bird through the night, feel my tears as they dry

Last edited:

Wayne

@zzz, thanks for giving the initial post a "like". It brought me back to this music today, a day where I've been feeling pretty rough. Definitely helped lighten and lift my spirits. :thumbsup:
That conductor wins all the prizes for facial expressions while baton flicking!
Ema, I agree. :)

worldbackwards

@Gingergrrl, It's pretty easy - you click on the 'media' thing (film negatives), then you paste a Youtube url for the relevant video into the handy box provided. I think you can embed from other stuff as well, but I wouldn't be sure about that.

I may put something relaxing up in a bit as well.

Sushi

How do you post a music video? Although it is doubtful I will understand the instructions!
I think you will! ;)

First, find it on YouTube, then copy the URL (the internet address line) Then paste it into a post and it automatically "embeds."

Sushi

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl, It's pretty easy - you click on the 'media' thing (film negatives), then you paste a Youtube url for the relevant video into the handy box provided. I think you can embed from other stuff as well, but I wouldn't be sure about that.

@wolrdbackwards What do you mean by the "media" thing (film negatives) and putting it in the box provided?

First, find it on YouTube, then copy the URL (the internet address line) Then paste it into a post and it automatically "embeds."

@Sushi Do you mean that I post the URL directly into the thread like any other website link that you would post? Is this different than what was mentioned above but I just didn't get it?

Sushi

@Sushi Do you mean that I post the URL directly into the thread like any other website link that you would post? Is this different than what was mentioned above but I just didn't get it?

Yes, just post the URL directly into the post. It will look like a URL until you actually post it but then it will "embed" and look like the Youtube I posted above. You don't use the link option from the menu above your post. You can actually skip the "media" step that worldbackwards mentioned.

Sushi

Sean

From ABBA through a capella, Beethoven, Gamelan, jazz, Kottke, Monk, Puccini, Steely Dan, tribal chants, Weird Al Yankovic, all the way to the freakiest of Zappa, via almost any genre or style of music you can name, there is something in there that I can get into.

Music and me. :love::love::love:

Maybe not commercial country & western, or experimental eastern European opera. :p ;)

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
@Wayne :)
Thought of you when I saw this.
http://www.sott.net/article/293836-...ating-genes-associated-with-neurodegeneration

... "According to a new study, listening to classical music enhanced the activity of genes involved in dopamine secretion and transport, synaptic neurotransmission, learning and memory, and down-regulated the genes mediating neurodegeneration."

I can believe this! There are several songs that I can associate with really good memories of my healthy days that can have an immediate impact cognitively. Although none of them are classical tunes. Most of the times that I hear these songs I will get a an very healthy appearance of "goosebumps" on my arms, legs and even chest.

I love horses to no end, but unfortunately do not have any now. Also, as a youngest child I grew up in a house filled with "Motown era" music which includes a good bit of "choir" music. Recently I watched the movie "Secretariat" and at the end of the movie when he rounded the last turn and went on to win the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths (record time that still stands today!) and in the movie the song "Oh Happy Day" (Edwin Hawkins Singers) began playing (also plays earlier in the movie as well) I had an extreme moment of "goosebumps", mind clearing, pain relieving and just general well being for a couple of hours.

So, yes I definitely think music of any kind that can bring thoughts of better times can have healing effects. I just wish that I could get them to last!