• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The empty stomach thing

Johnmac

1. Which DQ supplements do we need to take on an empty stomach?

2. Why?

3. Do you need to take infusion (e.g. behind the lip) supplements on an empty stomach? (The vitamin goes straight to the bloodstream.)

4. What constitutes an empty stomach? Two hours since food? Three? Four?

5. How long after taking the supplement can you eat?

6. Does the empty stomach rule apply to drinks too? E.g. do I start the clock again after a mid-morning cup of tea?

7. How do grazers take supplements on an empty stomach? Our stomachs are only empty once a day.

Thanks to all.

whodathunkit

"Empty stomach" is kind of a nebulous term. For some things it means completely empty except for water, but for others it can mean just no food, especially protein, and no other supplements. I'll try to help a little.

Which DQ supplements do we need to take on an empty stomach?
LCF should be taken without food. But pure carb drinks like juice are okay if you like them and can drink them. If you can't do juice then just take with water.

This is because amino acids are essentially protein, and any food in the stomach could compete with their uptake. Food with LCF might be okay, but I always take on empty stomach to ensure I get the good out of this kinda pricey supp. I generally take it first thing in the a.m. and get it out of the way for the day.

IME LCF is the only thing that absolutely needs to be taken on empty stomach. If others have a different experience, I hope they'll chime in.

BTW, there are minerals that you don't want to take together, because they can "cancel" each other out. Don't take copper and zinc at the same time, for example, because zinc can limit the absoprtion of copper. But that's kind of a different topic.

Do you need to take infusion (e.g. behind the lip) supplements on an empty stomach? (The vitamin goes straight to the bloodstream.)
No, if you're doing infusion it's fine to have food in the stomach or even to eat or drink "around" them (i.e., ingest food or drinks while they're still between your cheek and gum).

What constitutes an empty stomach? Two hours since food? Three? Four?
Generally speaking, one hour before eating or two hours after eating is considered empty stomach.

How long after taking the supplement can you eat?
I wait an hour before eating to be on the safe side, to ensure there's no competition for my empty stomach supp.

Does the empty stomach rule apply to drinks too? E.g. do I start the clock again after a mid-morning cup of tea?
Depends on what you put in your tea. If it's just a sweetener with no milk you should be fine with most supps except for maybe some minerals (because some constituents in tea can inhibit absorption of some minerals). But if you put milk or cream in your tea it's probably best to wait an hour before taking your supp. You can get away with waiting only an hour instead of two (like you want to with food) because liquid clears the stomach more quickly than bulky food.

How do grazers take supplements on an empty stomach? Our stomachs are only empty once a day.
It's hard. I try to limit things that need to be taken on empty stomach for this reason. It can run your life.

That said, don't get too hung up on empty stomach. Even if you don't get optimal benefit from taking stuff with food, except for amino acids you'll get some benefit. And some is better than none. And don't forget that whole food is always your best source of nutrition, anyway. For some of these supplements we're using like medicine (e.g., the DQ) we may need to make some allowances regarding the best place to get it is whole foods (especially in cases where mutations are expressed), but the best place to start for regaining your health *is* always with your food.

HTH. :)

Last edited:

Johnmac

Thanks so much @whodathunkit

That clarifies things nicely.

Food with LCF might be okay, but I always take on empty stomach to ensure I get the good out of this kinda pricey supp. I generally take it first thing in the a.m. and get it out of the way for the day.
IME LCF is the only thing that absolutely needs to be taken on empty stomach. If others have a different experience, I hope they'll chime in.

I think I've noticed an LCF effect after eating, but agree that empty stomach is the best until we know more.

I think Dr Walsh says you shouldn't take more than one amino at a time, as they compete. Do you agree? (I also take GABA, taurine, etc)

Thanks again.

PS: I fancy I recall Fred saying m-folate should be taken on an empty stomach...?

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
i'm also a grazer and the drugs for me that require empty stomach like the thyroid meds I take upon awakening. i need to remain fasting for an hour so I go back to bed for an hour or even better, I fall asleep for a couple more hours.

Most of my meds i take with meals or throughout the day. Calcium and iron tablets do not mix together. Calcium and thyroid meds need to be 4 hours apart. Iron is best absorbed with vitamin C rich food like citrus. Many drugs I take are best taken with food so I guess I luck out this way

whodathunkit

@Johnmac: What Dr. Walsh said about not mixing aminos (they compete) is the same reason you shouldn't take aminos like LCF with food. The protein (protein is basically just amino acids) in food competes with the isolated amino acid. That's also why pure carb things like juices are generally okay to take with aminos...because they have no protein.

However, a lot of body builders "stack" different amino acids, and claim good effects. Think about it...if you wanted to take a whole bunch of aminos and decided you had to take them all on empty stomach and separately you'd never get to eat! But I think there are certain ones your not supposed to stack with each other, etc. Getting it right can be as complex as trying to understand stuff around here. LOL

For myself, because LCF is so important, I always take it without other aminos or food. LCF is definitely a foundation of health for me. I have gotten a lot of good out of it, and am not willing to chance diluting the effect. YMMV. I do take it with other "empty stomach" supps I use, like my iron and vitamin C, to save time and keep things from getting too complicated. I'm anemic and I have to get all the good out of my iron that I can. @Kati's recs are good.

I take mfolate with food and without it. You might get around the empty-stomach conundrum by taking your mfolae infusion-style. @ahmo has had a lot of good results doing that, and was able to reduce her overall mfolate consumption (and thus the expense) due to getting more folate into her body per dose by using infusion than by taking it orally. For example, can reduce the number of tablets from 20 to 10 while still getting the same effect. I've tried infusion with mfolate but haven't noticed any difference. I think this is because I'm stabilized with the DQ and thus am not terribly sensitive any more to variations in amounts of what I take (like I used to be), rather than any problem with infusion delivery. I didn't ever try infusion delivery until after I'd already stabilized.

HTH. :)

Last edited:

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
4. What constitutes an empty stomach? Two hours since food? Three? Four?
Meal composition and size influences how soon the stomach will be empty. Lots of fat really delays emptying. Acid foods like vinegar also cause delay.