• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Samento and Banderol

Hi there,

I'm currently 6 months into treatment for Lyme disease under the guideship of KDM. Whilst I knew not to expect to start feeling better naturally until at least 9-10 months after my treatment began I was still keen to find something that would help me deal with the symptoms I was suffering from - most significantly neurological fatigue, light headedness, nausea and visual disturbances.

Through the forums here I came across the herbal remedy Samento and for me it has been an absolute game changer. Beforehand I was functioning at around 15-20%. Within weeks of taking it I was felling perhaps 50% and all the symptoms that I mentioned previously were significantlyt improved.

I then discovered two weeks ago that KDM wanted me to use Samento and Banderol as the next phase of my treatment with him. The problem was that I had already spent the last few months taking it so he said that I should go straight onto the Banderol to make sure that I dont build up a resistance to the Samento.

I should mention here that after taking Samento for eights weeks in October and November and feeling much better I did not attribute my "feeling better" to the Samento and so I stopped taking it. Each week after that my symptoms became worse and worse again until just before christmas I was very ill once more. I then decided to start taking the Samento again and within a week I felt much better again. I continued to take Samento until last week when I began to take Banderol like KDM asked me to.

The problem however is that I can slowly feel all my symptoms getting worse again and I'm not supposed to take Samento again for at least another 2 months. I'm really worried that I'm going to be very ill again and this will have a very negitve impact on my mental state and the relationship I have with my girlfriend who finds it very hard to deal with when I'm really bad.

Can anyone give me some advice as to what I should do? I'm feeling rather panciky about it. Is there something else I can take which is similar to Samento that could help me? Will the Banderol start helping to relieve my symptoms after a while? All my worries are further increased by the fact that I'm supposed to be having surgery on Tuesday for a deviated Septum. I don't want to be too ill to have it done. With the Samento it would have been ok but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Lewis

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm not supposed to take Samento again for at least another 2 months.
I am under the same treatment protocol but my treatment directions say (after the initial 2 months on Samento) to alternate samento and banderol like this: 12 days of samento, 2 days of neither samento or banderol, then 10 days of banderol, followed directly by 12 days of samento....on and on raising the doses as tolerated.

Will the Banderol start helping to relieve my symptoms after a while?
I didn't do well with banderol at first but now it helps me as much as samento.

Good luck!
Sushi

Yes thats right, thats the same protocol that I have. I wish I could just skip to the 2 weeks on and off Samento now but I won't do that. I was already taking 3 x 30 drops a day with the samento. Obviously the dose is not as high so far with the Banderol. Maybe that will help. For the time being though my symptoms continue to worsen and I am very worried how these next two months are going to pan out.

xrunner

Hi @Hitension
Each week after that my symptoms became worse and worse again until just before christmas I was very ill once more. I then decided to start taking the Samento again and within a week I felt much better again.
It works by reducing inflammation caused by Lyme. If you read Buhner's book on Lyme it will explain in detail how this herb works.
There's some helpful information on Lyme herbs here esp. in the Q&A section.
http://www.buhnerhealinglyme.com/

My experience and my mum's with Lyme herbs is that they work as long as you take them.
Herbal treatments for Lyme work mainly by reducing inflammation and helping the immune system. That way your body is supposed over time to fight the infection.
Unfortunately, especially for my mum who doesn't tolerate antibiotics well, we haven't yet come across any herb that reduces spirochetes load as antibiotics do. My mum has been on herbs for a few years now (including samento and banderol for a period) but they help as long as she takes them.

I'm feeling rather panciky about it. Is there something else I can take which is similar to Samento that could help me?
Samento is just a brand name for Cat's Claw (it's cat's claw without some of its constituents) sold at a premium.
If Samento helped you, a good brand of Cat's Claw is likely to help you. It may work even better as an anti-inflammatory.

According to Buhner (a herbalist) resistance to herbs is a non-issue (reasons explained in his book) but you may want to use combination of herbs to shut down as many inflammatory pathways as possible, hinder Lyme propagation, prevent spirochetes damage and similarly deal with co-infections therefore giving your immune system an edge.
Best wishes.

Dufresne

almost there...
Hi @Hitension

According to Buhner (a herbalist) resistance to herbs is a non-issue (reasons explained in his book) but you may want to use combination of herbs to shut down as many inflammatory pathways as possible, hinder Lyme propagation, prevent spirochetes damage and similarly deal with co-infections therefore giving your immune system an edge.

Indeed this is what he says. It's also been my experience with herbs that resistance doesn't develop, at least not easily.

@Hitension, Buhner also recommends Japanese Knotweed to reduce the inflammation and that this not only helps you feel better but accelerates the recovery. Most Resveratrol preparations are Japanese Knotweed; check the ingredients to get the purest form. Also you might want to try the other herbs in the Cowden Protocol.

http://www.nutramedix.ec/ns/lyme-protocol/292-condensed-cowden-support-program-summary

I would suggest you keep hitting the bugs.

Last edited: