• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

safe sleep aids

(I posted here cause the palpitation and tachycardia issue)
Please help finding sleep/sedating aids that wont affect tachycardia, palpitation, excitatory, etc. :(
Im in and insomnia making it worse and im afraid trying things out as im super sensitive now.

Anyone with tachy, palp problem have safe sleep inducer aids? Other than benzo/gaba stuff (need to find different types of pills to rotate)

I have regular melatonin but i read its for reseting circadian not to induce sleep. Also last time i try 0.5mg only got headache.

Thanks for whoever replying :(
Warm regards.

I also read beta blocker cause sleep issue especially blocking melatonin but i have to use it :(

Last edited:

brenda

Hi @kisekishiawase

I heard about foot soaks before bed recently, and have been doing a bit of study on it. It seems to be an ancient Chinese remedy, and l also found a study with cancer patients showing it works. It has been working for me for the last 7 days. Just feet in hot water.

halcyon

Glycine can be somewhat helpful and should be pretty safe. 3 grams right before bed.

ahmo

I got excellent results from pituitary glandular. I was also taking hypothalamus and adrenal glandulars at the time, so the whole HPA axis was covered. Some find foot soaks with bicarb useful.

brenda

I got excellent results from pituitary glandular. I was also taking hypothalamus and adrenal glandulars at the time, so the whole HPA axis was covered. Some find foot soaks with bicarb useful.
Which pituitary glandular do you use? Thanks.

Mary

Moderator Resource
(I posted here cause the palpitation and tachycardia issue)
Please help finding sleep aid that wont effect tachycardia, palpitation, excitatory, etc. :(
Im really in terrible condition especially heart. and insomnia making it worse and im afraid trying things out as im super sensitive now.

Anyone with tachy, palp problem have safe sleep aids?

On some sites i read valerian could cause excitation. So that puts doubt in me.
(1 of the site) http://m.medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/870.html
Wiki: valeric acid&ghb.

Im not sure about melatonin either.
Also pharmagaba cause the fermentation process might effect histamine. I contact them last week but they havent answer.

I keep alprazolam as it seems ok to me but its highly dependable so u cant count on it.
Theres also zolpidem but i havent tried.

Thanks for whoever replying :(
Warm regards.

How about magnesium? Magnesium is essential for sleep and heart health (see http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/magnesium-the-ultimate-heart-medicine)
I take roughly 600 mg. of magnesium glycinate daily in divided doses. It might help you with your heart issues as well as sleep. Also, do you get enough potassium? Low potassium can cause a lot of the same issues (tachycardia) as low magnesium. Try an Epsom salt bath before bed - your body will absorb some of the magnesium from the Epsom salts and that can be very calming too.

Glycine can help, although initially it caused me to detox - it's used in phase II liver detoxification.

Also niacin helped me with sleep - it stimulates the GABA receptors, and GABA is the calming neurotransmitter.

And there's l-theanine, which helps the brain make GABA.

ahmo

@brenda I used this, from iherb (the url is incomplete, much longer...): http://www.iherb.com/Ultra-Glandular-Enterprises-Raw-Pituitary-

@kisekishiawase I had terrible insomnia for most of my years with ME. I used a variety of herbal things, and for some periods of time low dose Klonopin. When the Klonopin was again causing me histamine issues, I tried the pituitary. There's some direct involvement of pituitary gland on sleep. Melatonin never did anything for me. GABA and glycine were somewhat helpful

It was also clear to me from my neurological symptoms that my hypothalamus was suffering from the very onset of ME. When I started taking the glandular, much of my hyperactive nervous system calmed. It would be another year before I quit gluten and dairy and had an enormous shift in my levels of over-reaction to sounds, light, heat, emotional stress.

And, not that you've asked, I began adrenals when using licorice or low dose cortef no longer helped, but made things worse. In each of these cases it seemed that my body was better able to assimilate the whole glandular substance, even though it's from an animal, than to work with the substances I was giving it. This might be the same for your heart, that thes\se would be better tolerated, but I don't know. I now think that had a lot to do with my liver and adrenal health. Nine months ago I experienced a massive clearing of toxins from my adrenals. From then on I haven't needed any of the glandulars.

And once my B12/folate levels were corrected, my life-long tendency toward insomnia, which had become acute and horrible, evaporated. I now go to sleep easily and most usually stay asleep. And when I wake, I can almost always easily return to sleep. Sorry to sound smug on a thread about difficulty sleeping:smug::rolleyes:. Sleeping is such a gift!

@Mary Thank you for reply :)
i consider magnesium too but got mix result before so i postpone it for later.
I have 2. Oxide and glycinate. Again heard from members here that glycinate could cause excitation. For epsom salt some said the sulfate form could cause issue and previously i have tried that but i feel fatique after though not sure if its purely from that. Sometimes magnesium gives me gas too.

I want to try the magnesium protocol again but later when i got better.

I was thinking of l-theanine too. But last time already bought gaba, valerian, melatonin and other supplememt instead. I think i may put l-theanine next on the list.

I have the regular niacin from gnc. I took it for some weels before when i was in well condition. Since it cause flushing im worried if it will effect heart now when im in bad condition?

@ahmo Im not familiar with it. Its an Adrenal endrocine support supplement? Will iteffect cortisol?
Theres also thymus supplement.

Last year my serum b12 level was 362.

I know its a bless when you have the ability to regularly get/maintain a good sleep :(

Thank you for the information :)

Mary

Moderator Resource
i consider magnesium too but got mix result before so i postpone it for later.
I have 2. Oxide and glycinate. Again heard from members here that glycinate could cause excitation. For epsom salt some said the sulfate form could cause issue and previously i have tried that but i feel fatique after though not sure if its purely from that. Sometimes magnesium gives me gas too.

Do you have access to blood tests? Magnesium deficiency and potassium deficiency are very well known for causing palpitations and tachycardia etc. The Exatest red blood cell test (http://www.exatest.com/) is the best if you can get it done. Otherwise, I think it would be a really good idea to give magnesium a serious try. Try an Epsom salt bath at night. If it makes you tired, - great - it means you're absorbing magnesium and it might help you sleep, and if you're deficient in magnesium, it should help your heart too.

If you're deficient in magnesium, it can cause the heart problems you mention plus insomnia.

I've taken magnesium glycinate for several years with no problems. It does not cause excitation for me and it's better absorbed than magnesium oxide and less likely to cause intestinal problems. But you may just have to experiment with small doses and see how you do. I did try magnesium aspartate once, and do not recommend that - it definitely caused an excitation reaction plus insomnia.

More info on magnesium and the heart:
http://www.todaysgeriatricmedicine.com/archive/050613p30.shtml

I don't know about the safety of niacin in someone with heart problems so I can't help you with that question.

@Mary Ive known exatest since months ago. it seems promising so i try to email them but they didnt reply any of my emails. The RBC test i can get only from doctorsdata.

I dont think im lack in potassium as i eat food high potassium also hair test say too high potassium so im afraid supplementing it will cause imbalance.
And betablocker which i regularly take have potential to block potassium and could cause hyperkalemia.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary Ive known exatest since months ago it seems good so i try to email then but they didnt reply any of my emails. The RBC test i can get only from doctorsdata.

I dont think im lack in potassium as i eat food high potassium also hair test say too high potassium so im afraid supplementing it will cause imbalance.
And betablocker which i regularly take have potential to block potassium and could cause hyperkalemia.

You can call the Exatest company - their phone number is on their website home page: http://www.exatest.com/
I had to call them a couple of times with questions when I had the test done and someone always answered the phone, they were easy to reach. The Exatest is a an RBC test for magnesium. So if you can get it done by Doctors Data, then great.

And yes, it sounds like you probably shouldn't take more potassium. I've had low potassium before and have had problems getting it to good levels. But we are all different!

ahmo

@ahmo Im not familiar with it. Its an Adrenal endrocine support supplement? Will iteffect cortisol?
Theres also thymus supplement.

Sorry if I was confusing. I used adrenal glandular instead of Cortef (hydrocortisone) or licorice, when both of those stressed my adrenals. The adrenal glandular was a huge help to me. I no longer get lab tests, so I can't say how it actually affected my cortisol levels. But it certainly helped me to be more adaptive, less stressed by ordinary events in life.

The pituitary helped with my sleep. And magnesium is something that I always supplement.

And I also took thymus for a time, as I wanted to support my immune system. I've now been using low dose naltrexone (LDN) for balancing immune system for about 6 months. This seems to have been an enormous boost to my stamina. I speculate that it's eliminated some ongoing inflammation, so now there's more energy for life. Best to you:hug:

ahmo

i see thanks for the info. I may look more into it later but if theres no test for it how do we know? :confused:
Is it like a general thing?
Do you meantest for pituitary? I don't know of any. For many/most of us the Hypothalamus/Pituitary/Adrenal axis is affected (HPA). So pituitary is part of that. I don't know any way but trying things. That, of course, can get expensive.:meh: