• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Enzyme to break down soy

PeterPositive

Soy is a bit of a strange beast. IIRC non fermented soy contains anti-trypsin factors that will disable your ability to break down proteins correctly (trypsin is an enzyme produced by the pancreas).

I am not sure if it's a matter of taking more trypsin via supplements, or instead avoid the soy-based products that might be higher in anti-trypsin factors. As far as I can remember fermented soy products (tempeh?) should not have this problem.

Sorry I don't remember all the details at the moment. You can look it up for more details.

Peyt

Soy is a bit of a strange beast. IIRC non fermented soy contains anti-trypsin factors that will disable your ability to break down proteins correctly (trypsin is an enzyme produced by the pancreas).

I am not sure if it's a matter of taking more trypsin via supplements, or instead avoid the soy-based products that might be higher in anti-trypsin factors. As far as I can remember fermented soy products (tempeh?) should not have this problem.

Sorry I don't remember all the details at the moment. You can look it up for more details.

What product contains trypsin? I tried to find it but nothing pulled up as far as an actual supplement.

IreneF

The information I found that said soy was bad for you was based on research that's at least 15 years old. Newer info says soy is not a problem if you eat a varied diet. Unless you are consuming lots of raw soy beans you should be okay.

Peyt

The information I found that said soy was bad for you was based on research that's at least 15 years old. Newer info says soy is not a problem if you eat a varied diet. Unless you are consuming lots of raw soy beans you should be okay.

Not sure if its old or new info but all i know is as soon as I eat soy my body starts to itch.
The only reason I am considering it is because I have SIBO and currently there is 2 herbal formulas from metagenics that when tested side by side with the pharmaceutical antibiotics that are prescribed for SIBO they had slightly better results, but one of the formulas contains soy.. i need to take the formula for a whole month... this is why I am looking for a enzyme to take with it.

IreneF

Is there any evidence that an enzyme would actually help?

You could try taking an antihistamine to dampen the allergic response. Something like benadryl (diphenhydramine).

Peyt

Is there any evidence that an enzyme would actually help?

You could try taking an antihistamine to dampen the allergic response. Something like benadryl (diphenhydramine).
Thanks for the suggestion but that won't work since I actually have low blood histamine (based on blood plasma test)