• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BRAIN FOG: What has helped?

physicsstudent13

Hi Physicsstudent,

ALCAR is the wrong kind for about 90% of the people with CFS/FMS and doesn't work. It's the opposite for the other 10%, l-carnitine fumarate . For LCF to be useful one needs enough AdoCbl. For that to be effective one needs enough MeCbl and l-methylfolate. There is a 4 way deadlock and other 30 or so items that are the deadlocking factor for about 5% of people, just to get started. Then if these items are not being taken healing stops before it gets going well time after time as one runs into induced deficiency after induced deficiency. There is the layer of basics, about 30 items, then there is the layer of the deadlock quartet, then there are perhaps 6 or so critical cofactors to get it going, then there are the things that modify and control methylation rate, mostly basics but that need adjustment of optimization and so on and then there are the things that control ATP, then there is mineral balancing. Then there are the things needed for ones own specific biochemistry that are not already accounted for in the previous layers.

It's likely not as difficult as unifying relativity with quantum mechanics for instance.

Also, the deadlock quartet is essential for good immune functioning. I found 16 grams a day of vitamin C very good for controlling bacterial infections along with olive leaf extract.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...y-deadlock-quartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/

You might find the above link helpful.
Thanks very much! I'm really afraid I'm going to die in poverty
I've been taking sam-E which a forum said helps with math and lecithin/choline. I'm foggy a lot with heavy cloudiness and unable to remember or learn. I've been taking methyl b12, methyl folate and iron for fog and also to raise my RBC and low iron. I can't exhale and am on a ventilator. Neurologist said that the neurons in my brainstem are malfunctioning causing central sleep apnea. I'm so exhausted after going to one class and can't study

physicsstudent13

As far as I know the supposed mechanism of Neurontin (and Lamotrigine) is to lower glutamate activity. So you are contradicting yourself a little bit.
No I'm sure that neurontin improves sleep and at 600mg increases slow wave sleep and energy and clarity the next day along with klonopin, but not everyone has my specific sleep disorder

physicsstudent13

Hi Physicsstudent,

ALCAR is the wrong kind for about 90% of the people with CFS/FMS and doesn't work. It's the opposite for the other 10%, l-carnitine fumarate . For LCF to be useful one needs enough AdoCbl. For that to be effective one needs enough MeCbl and l-methylfolate. There is a 4 way deadlock and other 30 or so items that are the deadlocking factor for about 5% of people, just to get started. Then if these items are not being taken healing stops before it gets going well time after time as one runs into induced deficiency after induced deficiency. There is the layer of basics, about 30 items, then there is the layer of the deadlock quartet, then there are perhaps 6 or so critical cofactors to get it going, then there are the things that modify and control methylation rate, mostly basics but that need adjustment of optimization and so on and then there are the things that control ATP, then there is mineral balancing. Then there are the things needed for ones own specific biochemistry that are not already accounted for in the previous layers.

It's likely not as difficult as unifying relativity with quantum mechanics for instance.

Also, the deadlock quartet is essential for good immune functioning. I found 16 grams a day of vitamin C very good for controlling bacterial infections along with olive leaf extract.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...y-deadlock-quartet-and-other-nutrients.27482/

You might find the above link helpful.
thanks so much!!! what are the 30 items? my b12 level 6 years ago was 200 and I was probably severely damaged in the brain and now it's 1760 after taking daily injections for a month.
I'm taking 1200mcg of mfolate and 3mg of methyl b12 (puritan's pride ), I feel more energy after taking carnitine fumarate+ALCAR with caffeine but still foggy.
how do I know if the methylation is working? last year I broke out with bad acne and was hoping that meant I was methylating neurotransmitters and hormones (I was taking sam-e)

Last edited:

Freddd

thanks so much!!! what are the 30 items? my b12 level 6 years ago was 200 and I was probably severely damaged in the brain and now it's 1760 after taking daily injections for a month.
I'm taking 1200mcg of mfolate and 3mg of methyl b12 (puritan's pride ), I feel more energy after taking carnitine fumarate+ALCAR with caffeine but still foggy.
how do I know if the methylation is working? last year I broke out with bad acne and was hoping that meant I was methylating neurotransmitters and hormones (I was taking sam-e)

HI Physicsstudent,

12 years ago, and for 13 years or so prior to that, I was taking Dilantin (Neurontin came out later and didn't work as well for me) and Valium. The Dilantin was great for uncontrollable spasms and neurological pain and the Valium was essential too. I was able to discontinue them after a year+ of MeCbl and 6 months after starting AdoCbl along with all my asthma meds, nausea meds, allergy meds and NSAIDS. Further instead of antibiotics half a dozen times a year I haven't had any antibiotics in 11 years.

You need to find run a trial of MeCbl. In testing 12 brands I found 2 that were any good. There was one brands that was an absolute zero and most of the rest were not much better. That is the biggest holdup these days, fining an effective B12. The remaining one now is Enzymatic Therapy. It was a night and day difference I found. Holding the tablets for 45-120 minutes in contact with oral mucosa was essential for effectiveness. My trials in comparisons to injections, indicated 15-25% absorption over that time period.

What I found helped brainfog, in order of starting: MeCbl, AdoCbl, Metafolin, L-carnitine fumarate, SAM-e, zinc (adding 50mg, to 65mg total), Biotin, D-ribose. Others have found Vitamin D and magnesium to be essential to even getting methylation started. These are part of my basics. So all the usual vitamins except folic acid, folinic acid or any folate other than l-methylfolate and no CyCbl or HyCbl. All the usual minerals, selenium, chromium GTF, Glucosamine-chondroitin, all the DQ, most of the critical cofactors (those that also got rid of brainfog). I take an 8 factor high gamma E, ginkgo, resveratrol, lecithin, omega3 fish oil, COD LIVER OIL extracted A & D.

physicsstudent13

Thanks very much dear Freddd!!! I'm very sorry dear friend to hear about your pain and suffering. Low-dose aspirin can prevent mortality from cancer and heart disease (there is some risk of brain bleeding).
I have been taking gabapentin+klonopin for the hypoxic sleep disorder I have with seizures. I also sleep on an asv and oxygen. There is some correlation between antibiotics and asthma development. I still cannot exhale, it is terrible- I have heard of one person who cured his asthma with a paleo diet.
Where do you buy methylcobalamin injections please? I found an improvement in my nausea from IV vitamin treatments at an internist. I also take piracetam at 2400mg a day to increase oxygen supply and consumption by the brain. My neurologist Dr. Bazil at Columbia has done studies on it. You can buy ATP at pipingrock.com which seems to be an energy supplement. I also think daily cardio is essential and perhaps a Mediterranean diet.
www.heartfixer.com

Last edited:

Freddd

Thanks very much dear Freddd!!! I'm very sorry dear friend to hear about your pain and suffering. Low-dose aspirin can prevent mortality from cancer and heart disease (there is some risk of brain bleeding).
I have been taking gabapentin+klonopin for the hypoxic sleep disorder I have with seizures. I also sleep on an asv and oxygen. There is some correlation between antibiotics and asthma development. I still cannot exhale, it is terrible- I have heard of one person who cured his asthma with a paleo diet.

Where do you buy methylcobalamin injections please? I found an improvement in my nausea from IV vitamin treatments at an internist. I also take piracetam at 2400mg a day to increase oxygen supply and consumption by the brain. My neurologist Dr. Bazil at Columbia has done studies on it. You can buy ATP at pipingrock.com which seems to be an energy supplement. I also think daily cardio is essential and perhaps a Mediterranean diet.
www.heartfixer.com[/QUOTE]

My injections are prescribed by my internist. I take 30mg daily as 10mg SC 3x per day. There is a local compounding pharmacy. I have no more asthma and haven't for 11 years. My aerobic capacity increased rapidly after I added l-carnitine fumarate. The first day I was able to go from 17 minutes where I had been stuck for several years (on a Nordic Track at a specific setting) to 34 minutes the next day and was able to work up by 1 minute a day for as long as I was willing to go and increasing the tension almost all the way up. The daily vomiting and nausea, and nightly acid regurgitation all disappeared within 3 days of starting MeCbl. I have a life again. In the summer I walk typically 5 miles daily with 2000 vertical feet each up and down, in the range of 6900 to 7400 feet elevation. I had to taper valium slowly as it is dangerous, potentially deadly dangerous, to just stop, like Klonopin. Neurontin also needs tapering when you are done with it.

As long as I take my admittedly complicated vitamin program on schedule I'm doing well. My body is generally better now at going on 67 than it was 11 to more than 30 years ago

brenda

I am surprised that there has been no mention of subclinical hypothyroidism as a major cause of brain fog. Here is a video of Dr Brownstein, a leading thyroid doctor:

It is only when hypothyroidism becomes severe that it will show on the labs and doctors will treat it, (whereas they treated on symptoms in the past) often with an entirely unsuitable formula of only T4 when T3 is also needed or must be used on its own.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Fascinating video, I will have to do it in 'bites' though. @brenda , I would like to send the link to a friend who is not a member on PR, how would I do that?

physicsstudent13

I had brain fog for 17 years. My CNS "on the edge symptoms" are problems word finding and name finding. They rapidly get worse, along with pain and loss of sensation in feet and hands, legs and arms along certain dermatomes, whenever I don't have enough 5 star MeCbl and l-methylfolate and slowly improve and go away when I have enough. I had all sorts of memory, cognitive, learning problems, emotional and personality problems during the brainfog years with some events, trips and people disappearing entirely from memory. The only thing I have found get rid of them are CNS penetrating doses of 5 star MeCbl, AdoCbl, enough l-methylfolate to get out paradoxical folate deficiency and l-carnitine fumarate. I pretty much have everything back except some feeling in my feet and fine motor control in my fingers. I am quite well healed of CFS, FMS and congestive heart failure.
I hope that you see a cardiologist regularly and have an echocardiogram. I read about Pauling liking high doses of vitamin C

Freddd

I hope that you see a cardiologist regularly and have an echocardiogram. I read about Pauling liking high doses of vitamin C

Hi Physicsstudent,

I take 14 grams a day of Vitamin C, initially started because of Pauling, and my 30-40 symptoms at that time in my life but continued after retitrating by effect several times. No cardiologist. I don't have any cardiac problems. When I did, my internist treated me but as I was "uninsurable" and had no insurance, wasn't independently wealthy, and had terrible side effects without benefits, to all sorts of medications, there didn't appear to be any reason to go to a cardiologist. I spent the money I had trying to get pain and neurological problems taken care of. I have never had an echocardiogram. There was never even a suggestion of one. Besides, there was nothing I could afford to do about it anyway. In any case all the CHF symptoms went away with the deadlock quartet, MeCbl, AdoCbl, Metafolin and LCF and have been gone for several years now. Why would I see a cardiologist now? My new doc replacing my internist of 11 years is talking about spinal draws and MRIs because those are indicated by my symptoms now. If you know of something that remains after CHF isn't present any more what is it?

physicsstudent13

I would have xray catheterization and a stress echo cardiogram. If the heart failure was due to structural changes or electrical problems in your heart then supplements probably cannot cure it

Freddd

I would have xray catheterization and a stress echo cardiogram. If the heart failure was due to structural changes or electrical problems in your heart then supplements probably cannot cure it

Hi Physicsstudent,

That is an invasive test. I have no symptoms indicative of needing it. I have no indications. It is classified as an "invasive" test with very serious possible consequences. Having it appears far riskier than not having it. I'm having trouble imagining why you think it might be suitable. My father was almost killed by an unneeded invasive procedure, and suffered brain damage and impaired quality of life for a shorter life. Not to mention this is no doubt expensive. Am I missing something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronary_catheterization
Indications[edit]
Patients without cardiac symptoms or high-risk markers for a heart problem should not have a coronary catheterization to screen for problems.[1] Indications for testing include patients who are under age 40 and have diabetes, who have peripheral vascular disease, or who have a yearly coronary heart disease event rate greater than 2%.[1]

... Death, myocardial infarction, stroke, serious ventricular arrhythmia, and major vascular complications each occur in less than 1% of patients undergoing catheterization
^ Jump up to: abAmerican Society of Nuclear Cardiology, "Five Things Physicians and Patients Should Question", Choosing Wisely: an initiative of the ABIM Foundation (American Society of Nuclear Cardiology), retrieved August 17, 2012, citing
  • Hendel, R. C.; Berman, D. S.; Di Carli, M. F.; Heidenreich, P. A.; Henkin, R. E.; Pellikka, P. A.; Pohost, G. M.; Williams, K. A.; American College of Cardiology Foundation Appropriate Use Criteria Task Force; American Society of Nuclear Cardiology; American College Of, R.; American Heart, A.; American Society of Echocardiology; Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography; Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance; Society Of Nuclear, M. (2009). "ACCF/ASNC/ACR/AHA/ASE/SCCT/SCMR/SNM 2009 Appropriate Use Criteria for Cardiac Radionuclide Imaging". Journal of the American College of Cardiology 53 (23): 2201–2229. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2009.02.013. PMID 19497454. edit
  • Hendel, R. C.; Abbott, B. G.; Bateman, T. M.; Blankstein, R.; Calnon, D. A.; Leppo, J. A.; Maddahi, J.; Schumaecker, M. M.; Shaw, L. J.; Ward, R. P.; Wolinsky, D. G.; American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (2010). "The role of radionuclide myocardial perfusion imaging for asymptomatic individuals". Journal of Nuclear Cardiology 18 (1): 3–15. doi:10.1007/s12350-010-9320-5. PMID 21181519. edit

http://www.choosingwisely.org/doctor-patient-lists/american-society-of-nuclear-cardiology/
American Society of Nuclear Cardiology

Five Things Physicans and Patients Should Question
Don’t perform stress cardiac imaging or coronary angiography in patients without cardiac symptoms unless high-risk markers are present.
Asymptomatic, low-risk patients account for up to 45 percent of inappropriate stress testing. Testing should be performed only when the following findings are present: diabetes in patients older than 40 years old, peripheral arterial disease, and greater than 2 percent yearly coronary heart disease event rate.

.... patient’s clinical management or outcomes and will result in increased costs. Therefore, it is not appropriate to perform cardiac imaging procedures for non-cardiac surgery risk assessment in patients with no cardiac symptoms, clinical risk factors or who have moderate to good functional capacity.
Use methods to reduce radiation exposure in cardiac imaging, whenever possible, including not performing such tests when limited benefits are likely.
The key step to reduce or eliminate radiation exposure is appropriate selection of any test or procedure for a specific person, in keeping with medical society recommendations, such as appropriate use criteria. Health care providers should incorporate new methodologies in cardiac imaging to reduce patient exposure to radiation while maintaining high-quality test results.