• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Martha Stewart magazine and CFS

Hope123

I get one of Martha Stewart's magazines, "Whole Living - Body + Soul", for free since I fall into some demographic that they're trying to interest.

Anyhow, flipping throught the pages of the March 2010 issues, there's page on CFS called "Cracking Chronic Fatigue" about CFS and XMRV. Other than the title, the article is reasonable - quoting the stats from Science, interviewing Dr. Morris Papernik, and cautioning that exercise can cause exacerbation of symptoms. The only other part that I quibbble with is Dr. Papernik's thoughts to avoid strength training -- this is the type of exercise as I understand that CFS folks can do with less exacerbation compared to aerobic exercise.

Sorry, I don't think there's an online equivalent but here's the site:

http://www.wholeliving.com/

Nina

That's great. I'm so glad they say, "that exercise can cause exacerbation of symptoms." Hurray!!

That is a good start, although I always feel like it is the understatement of the century. For me, and many others, exercise (that can consist of lifting my leg twice when lying in bed) causes devastation.

Still, I think the most important point is to say that exercise is not a helpful therapy, I am more than happy with that.

FernRhizome

Only after I went on a high dose of CoQ10 could I do basic (not ever pushing it) strength training. Nothing aerobic. But slowly done, small portions of basic strength stuff. Before the CoQ10 I couldn't do ANY exercise at all. The mito diagnosis (muscle biopsy) got me on the coQ10. And adding muscles back (it's a slow careful process) improves my quality of life by at least 10 to 20% from a 20% functioning without muscles up to 40% on my best days.

There are three things that keep blood circulating: the heart's pumping action, the smooth muscle tone of our blood vessels, and the pressure of skeletal muscles on the smooth muscles of the blood vessels. So our hearts are always overworked because of low blood volume and our blood vessels are constricted because of low blood volume and that's almost like having them partially paralzyed, so improving skeletal muscles is really really helpful as when you are moving around those muscles put pressure and movement against the blood vessels and help keep the blood flowing in the blood vessels.....I may actually start a thread on this as it took me a long time to learn about this.~Fern

oerganix

Fern, like you I credit my 200mg CoQ10/day for a great deal of my quality of life. I can do much of what I used to do - for one or two repetitions. I still don't have the stamina to keep it up, but my stength disappears a little more slowly on CoQ10 and I am less deconditioned than I used to be. Also, exercise is required to build new mitochondria, so any little bit helps.

And I believe Dr Klimas recommended it, although I've been using it for years.