• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to distinguish between pain types: joint/nerve/tendon/muscle ?

cigana

I am trying to work out where my pain is originating and I wonder if anyone has advice on this.

My main pain problems are in my lower legs, most notably my knees, lower calves, ankles and feet. Interestingly, I do not seem to have any pain in my thighs, and the pain in my calf muscle is relatively minimal.
My feet pretty much continually ache, right now down the tops, probably a minute later the soles and balls of my feet will ache. Two minutes later it might feel like the whole bone structure of my foot is aching. Sometimes the entire lower part of my calf is aching (above the ankle). The pain in my knees is pretty permanent too, it feels like there is burning around the edges of the kneecap and underneath the kneecap. Obviously it is intensified by using my legs. There is no visible swelling.

I am wondering if it is possible to tell the origin of the problem from this description (i.e. most likely joints I presume), or at least rule out for example that it is in the tendons (I am not sure if the areas I describe have many tendons or if tendon pain is often found there?). It doesn't seem to fit nerve pain to me...Sorry if this is a bit random, I just thought it might resonate with someone!

Thanks.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Hi, it sounds to me like inflammation induced by signalling molecules spilling all over... started probably by histamine. The travelling nature is a tipoff.

The tops of feet wouldn't likely get sprained, btw, in any normal scenario - unless you started a new exercise program :)

[edit: are your shoes a little tight during those spells?]

Last edited:

cigana

Hi, it sounds to me like inflammation induced by signalling molecules spilling all over... started probably by histamine. The travelling nature is a tipoff.

The tops of feet wouldn't likely get sprained, btw, in any normal scenario - unless you started a new exercise program :)

[edit: are your shoes a little tight during those spells?]
Interesting question about the shoes, I suppose I do tend to wear fairly tight ones, I will have to try extended periods without them to see if anything changes.

I will also have to focus on the pain more and see if it is really travelling. Since I'm in constant pain I can't keep my feet/legs still for more than about a minute, and it's not clear whether the pain is moving because I'm moving, and hence the blood flow is being constantly shifted, or whether the pain would move of its own accord.

I suppose it feels like the kind of pain after you've done a 15 mile walk, just general achiness all over the feet, and a need to put them up and relax.

Re. the histamine, can I just take an anti-histamine to determine whether or not it's a likely cause? (I'm guessing no effect does not necessarily mean it's not histamine).

lansbergen

Do you mean by prodding around?
I've done so randomly, and nothing feels that way....

I can feel it without prodding but if I push gentle close to the spot It hurts a bit more than normal tissue feels when pushed. .

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Interesting question about the shoes, I suppose I do tend to wear fairly tight ones, I will have to try extended periods without them to see if anything changes.
Oh, I'd meant you can feel slight swelling that way from periodic inflammation which isn't visible.

Re. the histamine, can I just take an anti-histamine to determine whether or not it's a likely cause? (I'm guessing no effect does not necessarily mean it's not histamine).
I'd try a mast cell stabilize instead. When my feet would hurt while walking down the steps in the morning, that means to me histamine-related inflammation. My shoes would be a little tight, too.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I don't think you can eliminate tendon pain. I have tendon pain according to my chiropractor. It hurts most on the sides and back of my knee and on the outside of my ankle. These are points of attachment for tendons. I can especially feel then when I poke around.