• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DHEA Effects on Glutamate and Oxidative Energy Metabolism.

Ema

DHEA has important benefits on oxidative energy metabolism as well as modulating cortisol.

It also increases levels of glutamate dehydrogenase. Glutamate is often elevated and neurotoxic due to activated microglial cells.

DHEA is also an antioxidant and may stimulate neurogenesis.

While too much is also not a good thing, leaving levels low for long periods of time seems counterproductive at best as well. I supplement DHEA at 25 mg a day; men can often use up to 50 mg/day successfully.

Optimal DHEA levels may be considered to be in the 4-500 ug/dl range for men and 350-430 for women.

Clin Biochem. 2007 Jan;40(1-2):57-65. Epub 2006 Sep 14.
Effect of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) treatment on oxidative energy metabolism in rat liver and brain mitochondria. A dose-response study.
Patel MA1, Katyare SS.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
Effects of treatment with dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) on oxidative energy metabolism in rat liver and brain mitochondria were examined.

DESIGN AND METHODS:
Young adult rats were administered DHEA (0.1, 0.2, 1.0 or 2.0 mg/kg body weight) by subcutaneous route for 7 consecutive days.

RESULTS:
DHEA treatment resulted in general, in stimulation of state 3 respiration rates without having any uncoupling effect on ADP/O ratios. The stimulation of state 3 respiration rate for a given substrate was dose dependent in a tissue-specific manner. Parallel increases in the contents of cytochromes aa(3) and b were also noted. DHEA treatment stimulated the glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) and succinate DCIP reductase (SDR) activities. Under the treatment conditions, mitochondrial ATPase activity was also stimulated.

CONCLUSIONS:
Treatment with DHEA significantly stimulated oxidative energy metabolism in liver and brain mitochondria.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Neurochem Int. 2011 Sep;59(4):525-33. doi: 10.1016/j.neuint.2011.07.003. Epub 2011 Jul 13.
Glutamate dehydrogenase in brain mitochondria: do lipid modifications and transient metabolon formation influence enzyme activity?
McKenna MC1.
Author information

Abstract
Metabolism of glutamate, the primary excitatory neurotransmitter in brain, is complex and of paramount importance to overall brain function. Thus, understanding the regulation of enzymes involved in formation and disposal of glutamate and related metabolites is crucial to understanding glutamate metabolism. Glutamate dehydrogenase (GDH) is a pivotal enzyme that links amino acid metabolism and TCA cycle activity in brain and other tissues. The allosteric regulation of GDH has been extensively studied and characterized. Less is known about the influence of lipid modifications on GDH activity, and the participation of GDH in transient heteroenzyme complexes (metabolons) that can greatly influence metabolism by altering kinetic parameters and lead to channeling of metabolites. This review summarizes evidence for palmitoylation and acylation of GDH, information on protein binding, and information regarding the participation of GDH in transient heteroenzyme complexes. Recent studies suggest that a number of other proteins can bind to GDH altering activity and overall metabolism. It is likely that these modifications and interactions contribute additional levels of regulation of GDH activity and glutamate metabolism.

drob31

This is interesting. The thing is, in males DHEA tends to convert more to estrogen rather than testosterone. By taking zinc and DIM you can partially counteract this I believe, although you will still get some estrogen.

Still, I like how it opposes cortisol, glutamate, and has immune boosting properties.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
With the 50mg dhea dose i seemed to aromatize alot to estrogen. To help counter this i split the dose in two taking 25mg twice a day. I also use very low dose or arimidex .25mg twice a week on a mon/thur.

My dhea levels (2.1/ 2.2-15.5)were well below normal, supplementing pregnenolone did very little to my dhea levels. 25mg dhea once a day got me into the normal range(4s) but this was low normal. 25mg twice a day got me into the higher rangers (9.1/ 2.2-15.5).

effects are subtle but definately feel better for it.