• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anion gap

Anion gap 2.5

• Blood tests results

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Post cancer blood work

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
my recent blood test revealed my anion gap at a low of 2.5. Should I be concerned,, I did have lung cancer last year. I'm new to this site, so I'm not sure I'm posting correctly to get a response. Thanks for the patience

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I'm sorry I can't help you with an answer, if you can, try and ask a medical professional especially if you have a previous experience of cancer.

When tested, I had a high anion gap which is the opposite of your result. I think it's quite a rare lab test, and most patients won't have been tested once they've got a CFS diagnosis.

All the best to you and the best of health.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
When tested, I had a high anion gap which is the opposite of your result. I think it's quite a rare lab test, and most patients won't have been tested once they've got a CFS diagnosis.

@Research 1st - I have just calculated my anion gap values from my medical records, but the latest value I have for chloride is from 1996! So I was interested to read that you say that most patients won't have had an anion gap test once they have a CFS diagnosis. I got my diagnosis in 1999, but have been ill since 1995. But being in the UK, I can't imagine that all the doctors I have seen since 1996 have deliberately not tested my chloride levels for a specific reason other than perhaps the standard testing panels having changed.

I have no actual results for anion gap, but estimated the values myself from sodium, potassium, chloride and bicarbonate, and also without potassium.

I wasn't surprised to find my values quite high, as I have suspected for several years that I have acidosis, not least because I often get relief from sodium bicarbonate.

Do you know why patients do not have their anion gaps measured/estimated after getting a CFS diagnosis? Is this in the US?

I am going to request a chloride test next time I am due for my annual electrolyte tests. In fact, I am going to ask the doc whether he has done any recently, as I don't have copies of my records for the past few years.

@MeSci while I don't have a CSF diagnosis, my anion gap is done as part oF my comprehensive metabolic panel with my annual physical. I don't see that changing if I am diagnosed with CFS...and I am in the US.