• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can a SPECT differentiate between ME and Lyme?

Aerose91

Are there marked differences in the SPECT of the two? I'm in a difficult spot where I've had a couple tests here and there show positive Lyme but many more show negative. However, my brain symptoms are more severe than anyone I've seen with ME and only those with active Lyme in their brains rival mine. Also, my SPECT showed massive hypoperfusion yet I haven't had a doctor that knows very well how to interpret it past "oh my, I've never seen such widespread hypoperfusion"

I'm wondering if the SPECT results could be a factor in a definitive diagnosis of one or the other.

P.S. I'm not trying to say my suffering is worse than any others, just stating how severe my brain symptoms are.

ukxmrv

we won't know unless someone does a good quality research comparing a population of PWCFS or ME and then a population with Lyme. Then they would need to be compared to other diseases that have hypoperfusion (saw a paper comparing CFS and depression).

The problem that you have is that CFS has hypoperfusion but we don't know what other diseases also have it and how badly they compare.

You also don't know if your brain problems are entirely caused by the hypoperfusion. There are plenty of PWME stuck at home and unable to use the internet or communicate properly.

Last edited:

Aerose91

I agree, it's only conjecture at best. I guess since the SPECT is the only direct evidence I have of the problems in my brain I would love to know how this compares to others in the same boat.