• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CMV reactivation non-immunosuppressed patients

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Abstract
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is an important and common cause of mortality and morbidity in immunocompromised patients such as those with
HIV/AIDS, transplant recipients on immunosuppressive therapy, and malignant hematological disease. After primary infection with CMV
the virus becomes latent in multiple organs and can later be reactivated during severe dysregulation of the immune system. A large
population carry dormant virus and are thus at risk for reactivation.
However, reactivation of CMV has been reported in “non-immunosuppressed patients” such as severe trauma, sepsis, shock, burns, cirrhosis
and other critically ill patients lying in the intensive care units. Therefore, the intensivists are increasingly facing a dilemma of identifying
such patients to treat and there is a debate if there is a scientific justification for prophylaxis in such immunocompetent patients.

http://www.jidc.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/21841300/587

More ammo showing that cmv reactivation doesnt just occur in HIV and organ transplant patients, but can occur in anyone with a severe infection, maybe a cfs/me and /or during a crash??

T cells and NK cells play a
central role in controlling CMV infection and hence
reactivation of CMV in immunocompetent persons is
rare.

CFS/ME research shows that nk function and T cell function are low. This again shows more evidence that cmv could reactivate and cause issues for us.

taniaaust1

Thanks. I test postive to having had CMV but no doctor would do any tests to rule out reactivation even thou a test said I'd had it and the test also said it didnt rule that out.

I often wonder if it was CMV causing issues in the first year I had ME. My eyes actually swelled shut so I looked like a bullfrog during what I know now are ME crashes. I know CMV can make babies blind if mother gets while pregnant, so I wonder if it was that which affected my eyes . (if not that, what viral thing causes one to look like bullfrog?).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thanks. I test postive to having had CMV but no doctor would do any tests to rule out reactivation even thou a test said I'd had it and the test also said it didnt rule that out.

I often wonder if it was CMV causing issues in the first year I had ME. My eyes actually swelled shut so I looked like a bullfrog during what I know now are ME crashes. I know CMV can make babies blind if mother gets while pregnant, so I wonder if it was that which affected my eyes . (if not that, what viral thing causes one to look like bullfrog?).

Cmv can affect many organs as well as a Cmv mono type illness.

taniaaust1

I sometimes wonder if that is why my brain is so very bad. Ive even had severe long term memory issues at times or maybe that's the toxoplasmosis I also carry.