• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

i.v. glutathione

SwanRonson

My naturopath m.d. wants to do a glutathione iv. Has anyone had this done, or have any information on risks/side-effects? She said it was because of my MTHFR mutation, but that's only heterozygous. I'm wondering how it would affect someone with COMT/CBS homozygous mutations like me.

SDSue

Southeast
I'm no expert, but IV glutathione is part of what took me from a 5-6 on the function scale to bed bound within days. It's been nearly 3 years since then, and I've "recovered" to mostly housebound.

Some have great success with it, but I'd recommend low and slow!

alice111

DONT DO IT! I also went to bed bound after only one I've, it's almost two years later and I'm nor recovered

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I got terrible pains when having IV Glut - its supposed to help protect your liver but it hurt my gall bladder immediately. The clinic staff wouldn't take my word for it, I tried 3 times with the same result, listen to your body, if it hurts then stop. No matter it works for others. I've tried the oral glutathione, don't know it made me any sicker but it did help my liver enzymes return to normal after IV ceftriaxone.

SwanRonson

I have a standing policy now not to put anything in (or take anything out of) my body that I don't fully understand. Of course I could be mistaken about what I think I know, but I've learned the hard way to go low and slow with everything now. It's amazing how fast a google search for "______ side effects" can change your mind about something.

SDSue

Southeast
I have a standing policy now not to put anything in (or take anything out of) my body that I don't fully understand. Of course I could be mistaken about what I think I know, but I've learned the hard way to go low and slow with everything now. It's amazing how fast a google search for "______ side effects" can change your mind about something.
It's very difficult to find anything regarding glutathione dangers, overdoses, or side effects - except on PR. I thought I had done my due diligence, but wow, was I ever wrong! I'm much more cautious now.

perchance dreamer

IV glutathione has been fantastic for me. The only side effect I had was that I was much more fatigued for a couple of weeks. That's gone and has not recurred. They tell us to take epsom salt baths the night of an IV to help with detox symptoms.

After just a couple of days after the first IV, my long-time sleep problem was much improved, and I'm so grateful for that. Also, my extreme sensitivities to supplements I need for mood, mitochondrial support, and energy have gotten so much better. Before glutathione, I could only take minute, non-therapeutic doses because any more would wreck my sleep. I've also been able to increase methyl donors.

You wouldn't mistake me for a normal, but I no longer stagger about like one of the undead. I wish I had known about this years ago, but my doctor just recently started offering it.

jeff_w

Thank you @SDSue, @alice111 , @maryb , and @perchance dreamer for sharing your very different experiences. It's so important to present a range of responses to treatment. I've been debating whether or not to try IV glutathione for some time, as a local naturopath offers it. Because of each of your experiences, I am now thinking of starting out with a tiny dose. I'll see how I feel for several weeks after that before repeating it. Then, if my experience is either neutral or positive, I will increase the dose extremely incrementally each time.

jeff_w

It's very difficult to find anything regarding glutathione dangers, overdoses, or side effects - except on PR. I thought I had done my due diligence, but wow, was I ever wrong! I'm much more cautious now.

@SDSue , do you happen to remember if you had straight IV glutathione, or was it part of a Meyer's cocktail? Also, do you know what dose you had?

physicsstudent13

I'm no expert, but IV glutathione is part of what took me from a 5-6 on the function scale to bed bound within days. It's been nearly 3 years since then, and I've "recovered" to mostly housebound.

Some have great success with it, but I'd recommend low and slow!
Wow I just bought some glutathione pills and have been taking them so glutathione can be dangerous especially in injections? I've been taking NAC to prevent liver damage from medications and after my liver was damaged.
In mouse studies NAC has caused heart and lung damage by thickening heart walls

Last edited:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have a friend who did well on glutathione some years back with no problems. Last year he again did iv glutathione 2000mg iv push and it only helped mildly compared to his previous experience. He did this for a couple of months with weekly injections if I recall correctly.

What he also did this time was also to do cycloferon injections imi twice a week. He had before testing showed his nk cell count was low normal and other t cells were similar, after several weeks of glutathione and cycloferon his nk numbers shot up above the normal range and his t cells also increased.

Hard to say if it was one or the other or the combo doing this. No adverse reaction to this but also no big improvements. It's possible that maybe nk numbers/function have to be sustained for longer periods of time. He has been diagnosed with severe enterovirus by Dr chia.

I myself did a few injections of glutathione but only for a short time. I didn't notice any effects positive or negative but again one probably needs to be on this long term to get improvements in immune function and ME symptoms. Also I was functioning at a higher state than most and I also think because I have been on a variety of antioxidants almost from the beginning of cfs that I may not see a benefit.

physicsstudent13

I would imagine that the effects of iv glutathione are very complex. NAC AFAIK is only prescribed in ERs for acute tyenol and drug poisoning

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I would imagine that the effects of iv glutathione are very complex. NAC AFAIK is only prescribed in ERs for acute tyenol and drug poisoning

I dont have a link but i remember researching to see if oral nac was just as effective as iv nac used in a hospital setting and from what i found, it was almost as effective. NAC given IV in a hospital setting worked quicker and had higher blood levels of nac than an equal dose given orally, but nac taken orally was found to be effective at raising glutathione levels.

I have been taking NAC for 13 yrs now with no problems, my reason for this was for its antioxidant effect but also to protect my liver from using antivirals and other meds, which it seems to have done. Many viral infection such as ebv/cmv alone can increase liver stress, so guessing anything that helps liver function is going to be helpful??

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I met a severe, long time CFS/fibro sufferer last night and she said I.V. glutathione was "the best" treatment she'd ever tried... the only thing that really helped a lot

Semms to affect people differently

SDSue

Southeast
@SDSue , do you happen to remember if you had straight IV glutathione, or was it part of a Meyer's cocktail? Also, do you know what dose you had?
It was part of a special cocktail (not myers). I have requested the records so should know soon.

perchance dreamer

Liposomal glutathione might be a good thing to try if anyone is interested in, but apprehensive about, the IV form. Liposomal is weaker, but might give you an idea of what glutathione is like.

I sometimes use Seeking Health Optimal Liposomal Glutathione between IV visits. It's a liquid that you keep in the fridge after opening.