• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questionairre for MSIDS diagnosis

My score in the MSIDS questionairre was

• 0-10

• 11-20

• 21-30

• 31-40

• 41-45

• 46 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

cigana

Dr Horowitz has a questionairre which he claims in this interview is able to accurately diagnose Multiple Systemic Infectious Disease Syndrome. This may be useful to some of you to determine what type of infections you are suffering from, and in particular whether Lyme coinfections are a more likely cause of your problems.

I think it would be very interesting for us to poll our results.

The questionairre is available here: http://healthspaceclinics.com.au/assets/lyme disease/7. Symptom and Diagnosis List - Horiwitz.pdf

Note that 46 or above corresponds to 2 standard deviations.

eafw

I have never, to my knowledge, had a tick bite and yet seem to have scored 82 points. So it doesn't seem to distinguish very well between Lyme and other severe chronic disease ?

cigana

I have never, to my knowledge, had a tick bite and yet seem to have scored 82 points. So it doesn't seem to distinguish very well between Lyme and other severe chronic disease ?
A large percentage of Lyme-positive patients do not recall a tick bite (myself included), so that doesn't mean you don't have Lyme. As mentioned in the interview, the statistical validity of the test has been confirmed by University of Paltz on 300 patients.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Trouble is, the symptoms are typical ME symptoms, aren't they? Lyme isn't the only thing that can produce a high score, is it?

Tick bites can be imperceptible, and ticks can be tiny, so it is likely that many people have been bitten without knowing it, myself included (or just not remembered).

Nielk

Dr. Amy Myers: And so, I think you’ve kind of discussed it as we’ve mentioned, but I’ll ask this specific question. If somebody out there listening and they’re thinking “maybe I have this,” what are some of the classic symptoms?
I know you’ve mentioned them along, but maybe we could just point to that specifically.

Dr. Richard Horowitz: Right. The most important symptoms for people to know, Lyme is the only disease where
the symptoms really come and go with good and bad days, where it tends to migrate around the body. So,
muscle pain or joint pain in your shoulder one day and your knee three days later—Lyme is really the only other
thing that causes that

Those of you who have been confirmed to have Lyme, do you find that this is the case for you?

cigana

Trouble is, the symptoms are typical ME symptoms, aren't they? Lyme isn't the only thing that can produce a high score, is it?

Tick bites can be imperceptible, and ticks can be tiny, so it is likely that many people have been bitten without knowing it, myself included (or just not remembered).
I suppose Horowitz would view patients scoring highly as being highly likely of suffering from MSIDS, and presumably use that as a basis for further testing for Borrelia, Mycoplasma etc.

I don't recall any tick bite but I am positive for 3 tick borne infections.

cigana

I scored 66 even though I tested negative for Lyme.
Was that one of Horowitz's preferred tests? Did you test for any other infections?
The first two times I was tested, it was negative, only after abx was I positive.

barbc56

Questionnaires, like self reporting, are notorious for being unreliable. They may be useful for screening those who are at risk for a certain condition. but certainly not for diagnosing a disease.

However this questionnaire is especially problematic as the symptoms are so nonspecific that the risk of false positives is quite high. I would think many patients with chronic conditions and possibly some who dont have true health issues would get a positive result.

Did this doctor have control groups consisting of others with chronic conditions as well as healthy people? I can't find the original study.

I am not saying Lyme does not exist nor it isn't a debilitating illness. I just have my doubts about some of these doctors who seem to jump to conclusions that someone has lyme without regard to the science, using faulty diagnostic skills while subjecting patients to inappropriate treatment.

The CDC may be underestimating the number of Lyme cases but these doctors are overestimating the number of patients who have Lyme and making a lot of money from this.

A lot of people will disagree with my analysis, but so be it!

Barb

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I can't find any details of qualifications for this doctor apart from basic ones. He seems to be - just a doctor.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Cigana, I did this test a month ago and found my score was well over 100. I have a diagnosis of Bartonella, Chlamydia Pneumonaie, clinical diagnosis of Lyme (first round of tests negative). My Dr has lso asked me to take the VCS online test for biotoxin illness as I have been unable to tolerate any antibiotics so far and I failed spectacularly on both eyes.

I think I fit Horowitz's profile very well (sadly), but am happy to say that my Dr follows his work closely and I believe they are in touch. If I was in the states Horowitz is th man I would want to see. He may ONLY be a regular medical doctor, but he has vast experience with this range of illnesses, and from interviews I have seen a very caring and thorough Dr.

Have you read his book yet? am thinking of getting it with my xmas Amazon voucher (if it's on Amazon UK)

Gijs

The Lyme story is the same as with XMRV a hoax. The most tests are not validated yet. Í think some people with ME/CFS can have Lyme but not so much as these doctors suggest. ME is not lyme.

Hanna

@Nielk , I don't have bad days and good days, but rather bad ones and less bad ones. And also experience some fluctuation too with some of my pains (sciatica comes and go, joint pain, headaches etc).
It is not black and white.
I have also ME/CFS (with clear PEM, that not belong to the Lyme list of symptoms) so, you don't have to fit 100% Dr Horowitz' description.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Those of you who have been confirmed to have Lyme, do you find that this is the case for you?
My Lyme diagnosis is not firm yet, but highly suspected and yes I do have migrating symptoms. I am severely affected with M.E and until this year had some good days amongst the bad ones.

cigana

Hi Cigana, I did this test a month ago and found my score was well over 100. I have a diagnosis of Bartonella, Chlamydia Pneumonaie, clinical diagnosis of Lyme (first round of tests negative). My Dr has lso asked me to take the VCS online test for biotoxin illness as I have been unable to tolerate any antibiotics so far and I failed spectacularly on both eyes.

I think I fit Horowitz's profile very well (sadly), but am happy to say that my Dr follows his work closely and I believe they are in touch. If I was in the states Horowitz is th man I would want to see. He may ONLY be a regular medical doctor, but he has vast experience with this range of illnesses, and from interviews I have seen a very caring and thorough Dr.

Have you read his book yet? am thinking of getting it with my xmas Amazon voucher (if it's on Amazon UK)
I haven't read his book.
I'm really only interested in the link between location/mold and Lyme, because for me personally I'm pretty sure no treatment will work until I'm in a pristine environment. It just makes all of the abx protocols/herbs a nice way to waste lots of money! I think I'm in that 7% he mentions, certainly looking forward to hearing more from him about the mycotoxin results.