• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Back.

Fuzzyhead

I started having a middle upper back ache and right shoulder blades aching and now my right shoulder hurts if i shrug or do shoulder rolls. I also keep getting sharp pains up my neck. Does this sound muscular? I was also feeling like i couldn't get a full breath and my gp diagnosed acid reflux and said my back maybe muscular and gave me lanserazapole. The breathless feelings gone but my back/neck/shoulder ache hasn't.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have constant muscle spasms, pain dull and sharp. I just accept it as part of the disease and just live with it.

Fuzzyhead

I was just worried because i have been ill 14yrs and never had this right shoulder/neck/back pain.

Sea

In Australia most doctor experiences I've had or heard about relating to back pain from unknown causes work from the common assumption that most back/neck pain is muscular due to a small injury that will heal itself in 6 weeks. It's only when you pass the magic number of 6 weeks that you then maybe find a doctor who will investigate to find a cause of the pain.

PennyIA

Middle upper back pain here... but nothing that radiated out to the shoulder/neck... for me it ended up being referred gall bladder pain. I was in pain off and on again for years and then it got so bad, I'd end up in the ER over it... over a half-dozen trips to the ER before I finally got diagnosed.

While unlikely that's what it is for you - I bring it up because I wish someone had suggested it to me as I might have been able to alter my diet to attempt to resolve it if it had been discovered long before it got so bad it had to come out.

Fuzzyhead

I asked my gp if it could be gallbladder and she said i would have pains in the gallbladder area too if it was. I think if it was an organ i don't think it would hurt when i shrugged or rolled my shoulders. He listened to my chest and checked my oxygen levels and done all my bloods and they were fine.

PennyIA

I asked my gp if it could be gallbladder and she said i would have pains in the gallbladder area too if it was. I think if it was an organ i don't think it would hurt when i shrugged or rolled my shoulders. He listened to my chest and checked my oxygen levels and done all my bloods and they were fine.

I agree, I doubt shrugging and rolling your shoulders would make my referred gall bladder pain worse. It seems more like you need a chiropractor...

But, the gp is wrong. Gallbladder referred pain to the back doesn't require any pain in the gallbladder region. The pain is referred OUT of that area to the back. Hence, why it's called referred pain. I suffered for over five years before they they ran a scan.