• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flying with Vertigo

Hi people,
I'm having a particularly bad dose of vertigo atm and am supposed to be flying on Monday.
I've been feeling pretty well the past 3 to 4 weeks, so thought I'd be fine for a family reunion and my first flight in 6 years..........but now I'm not so sure.
Got my ears syringed yesterday and was told there's no inner-ear infection going on, but my doctor is fully booked................though I may get a cancellation tomorrow.
In case I don't get to see my doc, what would most people advise..........or has anyone had any personal experience flying with vertigo?
Thanks a lot,
Ozikiwi

rosie26

I hope things work out ok for you and you are better by the time you want to travel. I know when I had vertigo, it was so unpleasant that I wouldn't want to step on a plane and go anywhere with that going on. I had a couple of bad bouts of it in 2012 only, never had it in my other years of ME. I get POTS and OI. Hope someone else might have some ideas for you.

Do you have experience with being in a car, bus, or train with vertigo? Personally I would find a plane trip with vertigo easier than ground transportation. (Some people might feel differently.) But I would find the airport difficult.

If you get nausea, I would carry a prescription med for that.

These would help me but everyone is different: Earplugs and sleep mask in case they help. I would listen to meditations and relaxing music on my phone. Good noise cancelling earbuds or headphones if you can afford them because I feel worse when there are sounds from different directions. Some supplements or essential oils for relaxation.

I hope things work out ok for you and you are better by the time you want to travel. I know when I had vertigo, it was so unpleasant that I wouldn't want to step on a plane and go anywhere with that going on. I had a couple of bad bouts of it in 2012 only, never had it in my other years of ME. I get POTS and OI. Hope someone else might have some ideas for you.
Thanks for your response Rosie........and great to get some personal experience.........much appreciated.

Do you have experience with being in a car, bus, or train with vertigo? Personally I would find a plane trip with vertigo easier than ground transportation. (Some people might feel differently.) But I would find the airport difficult.

If you get nausea, I would carry a prescription med for that.

These would help me but everyone is different: Earplugs and sleep mask in case they help. I would listen to meditations and relaxing music on my phone. Good noise cancelling earbuds or headphones if you can afford them because I feel worse when there are sounds from different directions. Some supplements or essential oils for relaxation.
I've been sea-sick before but it wasn't vertigo.........and I seem to be fine with all other modes of transport.
Thanks for all your tips SOS.........shall take them on board!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I take ginger for my vertigo, it helps overall with stomach and ear issues too, wouldn't be without it. You can buy loose ginger and make it up into capsules yourselves. I use Biohealth capsules , but also put half a teaspoonful in my juice most days as well, I've found the quality varies very much with supps. Hope the journey goes okay.

I take ginger for my vertigo, it helps overall with stomach and ear issues too, wouldn't be without it. You can buy loose ginger and make it up into capsules yourselves. I use Biohealth capsules , but also put half a teaspoonful in my juice most days as well, I've found the quality varies very much with supps. Hope the journey goes okay.
Thanks for that info, Mary..........and your warm wishes.
People on here are so caring & helpful! :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
A friend with a tendency toward vertigo was prescribed ativan as a preventative. She takes it before flying and it has worked.

Best wishes,
Sushi