• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oregano OIl and damage to the intestinal tract. Help!

Hi Everybody.

I used oregano oil back in October to clean up some yeast in my gut. I followed the instructions on the bottle and started out very slow.

I started to feel very bad and stopped using the product. This is the oregano oil from Biotics, timed released!

Since that time, I have had nothing but trouble with digestion.

I feel like the whole tract is damaged by the oregano. Heavy bloating, gas, gerd and I just cannot eat.

I have been using gastrazyme by Biotics to heal the stomach and gut, plus slippery elm and DGL. And I am still having MAJOR PROBLEMS!!

Has anyone else run into this??

Is there something out there that people have used to get the gut back on line??

I REALLY NEED HELP HERE. I AM STUCK.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Janet

Gypsy

Hi Everybody.

I used oregano oil back in October to clean up some yeast in my gut. I followed the instructions on the bottle and started out very slow.

I started to feel very bad and stopped using the product. This is the oregano oil from Biotics, timed released!

Since that time, I have had nothing but trouble with digestion.

I feel like the whole tract is damaged by the oregano. Heavy bloating, gas, gerd and I just cannot eat.

I have been using gastrazyme by Biotics to heal the stomach and gut, plus slippery elm and DGL. And I am still having MAJOR PROBLEMS!!

Is there something out there that people have used to get the gut back on line??

I REALLY NEED HELP HERE. I AM STUCK.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Janet

I have used oregano oil several times in an on going battle against IBS, as you know, is VERY strong and it kills off both the beneficial and bad bacteria, so you can run into problems. I also over did it with the Oregano once.

It sounds like you need to seriously repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria, unless you are totally probiotic intolerant. A basic 3 billion single strain acidophilus supplement is all I could take, less sometimes is more.

I don't think Gastrazyme contains probiotics?

No, I don't think there is any permanent damage, as lots of meds wipe out gut bacteria, it just takes time to repopulate your gut.

The gut is so confusing!

Last edited:
I have used oregano oil several times in an on going battle against SIBO. It, as you know, is VERY strong and it kills off both the beneficial and bad bacteria, so you can run into problems. I also over did it with the Oregano once.

It sounds like you need to seriously repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria, unless you are totally probiotic intolerant. A basic 3 billion single strain acidophilus supplement is all I can take, less sometimes is more.

Grassfed gelatin by Great Lakes is suposed to heal the gut lining.

My gut is a constant struggle for me as well.

No, I don't think there is any permanent damage, as lots of meds wipe out gut bacteria, it just takes time to repopulate your gut.

Thank you for your help. I have been using a very strong probiotic and that seemed to make matters worse! I can hardly get anything down in there.

I will look into the grassfed gelatin.

I wish I had never touched the stuff.

So I will try and re-populate and contiune to try and heal the gut. This issue is going on from the top of the throat to the bottom of the digestive tract.

Any other suggestions, I am open to.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Janet

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@cutie2u222

Was the oregano oil you used diluted with some neutral oil and in a capsule? It is very strong. I put a drop of oil in an empty capsule and fill it with olive oil and this works for me but I don't take it for more than a few days.

I hope you find a way to get relief from this.

Sushi

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I doubt you permanently damaged your GI tract. I find it more plausible that your digestive problems are a result of dysbiosis. Lots of people have used oregano oil without destroying their gut, but it could have caused changes to your microbiome. Bloating and gas sound more like fermentation than tissue damage.
That sure sounds right. The oregano killed off most microbes except from some bad one(s) that are making the gas. Maybe the solution is another germ killer, like cloves, that can kill off the bad microbe(s) and allow the good ones to repopulate.

Gypsy

Thank you for your help. I have been using a very strong probiotic and that seemed to make matters worse! I can hardly get anything down in there.

I will look into the grassfed gelatin.

I wish I had never touched the stuff.

So I will try and re-populate and contiune to try and heal the gut. This issue is going on from the top of the throat to the bottom of the digestive tract.

Any other suggestions, I am open to.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Janet

Sorry to hear that, Janet. I actually do not tolerate probiotics either. I just have to after the Oregano oil. Do you have IBS or just yeast problems? IBS for many is actually SIBO, thus why probiotics make many of us worse.

I am using Gelatin to help the gut, which is an alternative to bone broth.

Many on here make their own bone broth to heal the gut, you may want to look into that.

Hope something helps you!

Sherlock

Assuming that the current bad microbes are feeding on carbohydrate, maybe eat nothing but fat and protein for a while.

@cutie2u222

Was the oregano oil you used diluted with some neutral oil and in a capsule? It is very strong. I put a drop of oil in an empty capsule and fill it with olive oil and this works for me but I don't take it for more than a few days.

I hope you find a way to get relief from this.

Sushi

Sushi,

I used Biotics Research 50 MG timed released TABLET and followed the instructions on the label. Started with one and label reads you can go up to 4 day. Buy the time I got to that amount, I was in big trouble. Then I stopped it.

Gastrazyme from Biotics will cure an ulcer. My feeling is it is either damage all the way from the top of the gut to the bottom or a probiotic problem.

I need this like a hole in the head. NOTHING HAS EVER MESSED UP MY GUT LIKE THIS.

I HAVE PAIN, BURPING, GLOATING, GAS, IMPOSSIBLE TO EAT.

i will try the probiotic. Will have to take it out of the capsule. Can't even get my vitamins in without major upset.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.

Janet

Sorry to hear that, Janet. I actually do not tolerate probiotics either. I just have to after the Oregano oil. Do you have IBS or just yeast problems? IBS for many is actually SIBO, thus why probiotics make many of us worse.

I am using Gelatin to help the gut, which is an alternative to bone broth.

Many on here make their own bone broth to heal the gut, you may want to look into that.

Hope something helps you!

I have yeast problems. Gut was in good shape before this, eating raw foods, etc.

I can get down easy foods, like scambled eggs, but nothing raw and protein is very difficult. I have gone to fish, cannot eat meat. I have thrown up that.

Gastrazyme does not have probiotics in it. I do feel better after taking that. It is cabbage juice in it and that is what really helps to heal ulcers.

Can someone give me a clue how long it take to re-populate and heal the gut. I am so fatigued, I don't think I can deal with the broth. I looked up the gelatin, but I cannot see where it is sold. Can someone give me a link for that??

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT.

Janet

Sherlock

Can't even get my vitamins in without major upset.
It seems that your most pressing problem is being very very seriously inflamed, so that everything you ingest only causes more and more irritation. In a way, the oil really did lead to gut damage - indirectly.

Maybe the number one thing to do currently is to avoid more irritation. I'd avoid supplements, except for glutamine (to heal leaky gut) if you can handle that.

It seems that your most pressing problem is being very very seriously inflamed, so that everything you ingest only causes more and more irritation. In a way, the oil really did lead to gut damage - indirectly.

Maybe the number one thing to do currently is to avoid more irritation. I'd avoid supplements, except for glutamine (to heal leaky gut) if you can handle that.

I am taking glutamine....Yes, seriously inflammed and not getting much better.

I am avoiding most of my supplements.

So wanted to do Rich's protocall and now this happened. I feel like I have holes in my gut. The entire gut. I would hope others would see this post and stay away from oregano oil.

Janet

I had a terrible reaction to oregano oil last year, wish I had never touched the stuff. I had been improving, too, but when a nasty virus left me with a cough I tried oregano oil tincture, a few drops a day for about 2 weeks or so.I got many of the side effects -and some new ones-that I had from the drugs that first made me ill 4 years ago- liver toxicity to be brief. It has taken me a long time to shake off the symptoms of the side effects but I am nowhere near where I was in terms of recovery before I took the stuff and my liver is struggling and now my pancreas too. Our bodies can be thrown off kilter so easily, it's all about finding the ever elusive balance.Just because these products are "natural" we must all be aware that they can cause serious problems. Unfortunately I guess that most of us are unsupported by our doctors so we are left to try out all these other possibilities- sometimes with great results. But we must go low and slow. Really hope you feel better soon Janet. Mels

jerrymcfadyen

A friend who uses oregano oil regularly offered me some too try. I used it twice and had to give it back to her. I had the worst acid reflux ever and it took a couple of weeks for it to calm down. Never again for me.

xrunner

t
I suffered some damage from overusing aspirin. It took months to heal.
What helped me most:
- potato and cabbage juice: grate a couple of (raw) potatoes and cabbage let it rest for about 20min, squeeze the juice out, take 4-5 times a day.
- honey, heals any wound (also anti yeast properties.)
DGL and strong probiotics like vsl3 may also be helpful.
Best wishes

I suffered some damage from overusing aspirin. It took months to heal.
What helped me most:
- potato and cabbage juice: grate a couple of (raw) potatoes and cabbage let it rest for about 20min, squeeze the juice out, take 4-5 times a day.
- honey, heals any wound (also anti yeast properties.)
DGL and strong probiotics like vsl3 may also be helpful.
Best wishes

Thank you all for your help. I am still healing and you are right, it has set me back months in recovery.

Janet

I had a terrible reaction to oregano oil last year, wish I had never touched the stuff. I had been improving, too, but when a nasty virus left me with a cough I tried oregano oil tincture, a few drops a day for about 2 weeks or so.I got many of the side effects -and some new ones-that I had from the drugs that first made me ill 4 years ago- liver toxicity to be brief. It has taken me a long time to shake off the symptoms of the side effects but I am nowhere near where I was in terms of recovery before I took the stuff and my liver is struggling and now my pancreas too. Our bodies can be thrown off kilter so easily, it's all about finding the ever elusive balance.Just because these products are "natural" we must all be aware that they can cause serious problems. Unfortunately I guess that most of us are unsupported by our doctors so we are left to try out all these other possibilities- sometimes with great results. But we must go low and slow. Really hope you feel better soon Janet. Mels

Thank you Mels for your support. I need it. Still trying to fix the problem. Thank you so much for telling me your experience with it.

Janet

@cutie2u222 I do hope you have seen some improvement?
I, like so many others on here, seem to be on a constant roller coaster of seeming to start to improve a little then suddenly relapsing horribly again without even always being able to pin point what has triggered the relapse. I do think the gut is crucial though, so hope you have found ways to improve yours. I'm still looking.......am about to order zinc carnitine as have read good things about its gut healing powers.......

.Also thinking about fulvic acid or diotamaceous earth - need to read up more first - as I have candida and parasite issues but dare not take any anti-microbials after my oregano oil experience.

Will let you know if anything helps - I know we all react differently but I find it so helpful to read about other people's experiences.

Take care

Mels

Sherlock

as I have candida and parasite issues but dare not take any anti-microbials after my oregano oil experience.
Hi, I'm curious as to why people with such experiences just don't switch to much smaller doses?

@Sherlock May help just to reduce doses for some people in some cases but my experience with the oregano oil was so serious - still reeling nearly 2 years after the last few drops were taken - that there is no way I would ever take it again. With more benign reactions and pretty immediate healing after stopping the offending item I would possibly reconsider taking smaller doses if I had noticed benefits whilst taking it. Think that makes sense......?!

Mels

Sherlock

@Sherlock May help just to reduce doses for some people in some cases but my experience with the oregano oil was so serious - still reeling nearly 2 years after the last few drops were taken - that there is no way I would ever take it again. With more benign reactions and pretty immediate healing after stopping the offending item I would possibly reconsider taking smaller doses if I had noticed benefits whilst taking it. Think that makes sense......?!

Mels
Okay, that makes sense. But what about switching to a much milder ant-microbial remedy, like garlic?

I once knew somebody with intractable high blood pressure who tried a different class of drug. They passed out one day from low BP, and would never again touch that drug. They went on to one day have a stroke. So, to my mind, when someting works so devastatingly well, that's better than things that do nothing :) because lowering the dose piuts you into Goldilocks territory.

All of this presupposes that the harm from the oregano oil was due to Herxheimer and not something else. (I'm now resolved to get a bottle of oregano spice and take 1/2 of it to see what happens.)