• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Study supports the theory that men are idiots"

Wally

Study supports the theory that men are idiots
Date:
December 11, 2014
Source:
BMJ-British Medical Journal
Summary:
The theory that men are idiots and often do stupid things is backed up by new evidence. The findings are actually based on an analyses of sex differences in idiotic behavior. . . .[R]esearchers in north east England decided to test "male idiot theory" (MIT) that many of the differences in risk seeking behaviour may be explained by the observation that men are idiots and idiots do stupid things.
Continue reading the study at this link - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141211210038.htm

(Please don't shoot the messenger - just reporting the news.) :D

Sean

So much for the acting-like-idiots-double-bluff scam, hey boys?

Turns out the women were right, we men actually are idiots.

:aghhh:

adreno

PR activist
Yeah, it seems incredible that crap like this can get funding.

I want to add that risk-seeking behavior in males is not idiotic. Taking risks (and surviving them) is often seen as attractive, and so has an evolutionary purpose.

alex3619

Yeah, it seems incredible that crap like this can get funding.

I want to add that risk-seeking behavior in males is not idiotic. Taking risks (and surviving them) is often seen as attractive, and so has an evolutionary purpose.
From an evolutionary perspective this is also about social change. Young people, especially young males, push the boundaries, and sometimes this is stupid, and sometimes it changes society. Its young males in particular who are more eager to go to war. They are more likely to break and bend and ignore rules. While much of this is dangerous to them and society, I wonder how much of societal evolution is due to it?

Having said that, irrational behaviour is rife. We are all guilty to some extent, but some are in positions of authority and guilty. Teenage males worry me much less than senior bureaucrats in the health system for example. A young male might injure himself and a few others, an inept bureaucrat could harm millions.

adreno

PR activist
Let me point out this has the hallmarks of a satirical article.
I think you are right - it's not serious. See this quote:

We believe MIT deserves further investigation, and, with the festive season upon us, we intend to follow up with observational field studies and an experimental study—males and females, with and without alcohol—in a semi-naturalistic Christmas party setting.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
It's semi-satirical, I would say. I like this footnote, which you'll find in the BMJ:

Footnotes
  • We thank Wendy Northcutt and the Darwin Awards Committee for permission to use their data. BL thanks The King Edward VI School, Morpeth, for its support and declares that the study did not get in the way of homework..

http://www.therecord.com/news-story...tudy-men-more-likely-to-be-idiots-than-women/

Every year, the British Medical Journal puts out an especially, shall we say, whimsical edition in honour of the holiday season. All of the studies therein are subject to the same standards as usual, but they tend to be a bit goofier than the prestigious journal's usual fare. Previous BMJ holiday papers have included an investigation of how much James Bond actually drank (the conclusion: too much to be the sharpshooting Don Juan we know him to be), a look at the genetic characteristics of magic in the "Harry Potter" series, and a study recording different responses to the sight of a man on a unicycle.

Wally

Relax... it's Christmas BMJ which is satirical.

http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7094

:D:rofl:

I was wondering how long it would take for the content of this "news" article to be questioned. ;)

It is good to see that after a close inspection of the article in question, it raised a bit of skepticism. o_O

Hope you enjoyed some holiday humor to test your brain cells. :nerd:

I am also glad to report that despite the cognitive challenges this illness presents, our "humorous" brain cells, while subject to bouts of inflammation, appear to remain intact. :hug:
“Nonsense wakes up the brain cells. And it helps develop a sense of humor, which is awfully important in this day and age. Humor has a tremendous place in this sordid world. It's more than just a matter of laughing. If you can see things out of whack, then you can see how things can be in whack.”
Dr. Seuss

Bob

I know that's true because that's what my male friends tell me when they're drunk. But it's strange, no female member of our species has ever confirmed to me that they find idiotic behaviour attractive! Dunno why... ;)

alex3619

I know that's true because that's what my male friends tell me when they're drunk. But it's strange, no female member of our species has ever confirmed to me that they find idiotic behaviour attractive! Dunno why... ;)
Funny, I recall seeing women make a snort of derision and wonder off at parties after seeing stupid behaviour from drunk males ... including me.