• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Calcium and Vitamin D2?

boo85

I have a bottle of calcium (calcium carbonate 875mg, equiv calcium 350 mg) + Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol, 2.5mcg, equiv Vitamin D2, 100IU).

I've heard of Vitamin D3 before (cholecalciferol), but not D2.

Is this particular calcium + D2 combo ok to take?

Thanks!

Considering the extremely low dosage of D, I would probably want to supplement with D3 cholecalciferol on top of the calcium supplement to ensure optimal absorption. Don't forget to add K2 in there as well if you are not getting enough in your diet.

boo85

Considering the extremely low dosage of D, I would probably want to supplement with D3 cholecalciferol on top of the calcium supplement to ensure optimal absorption. Don't forget to add K2 in there as well if you are not getting enough in your diet.

Thank you.

Oh, I definitely supplement with D3 - I've done 4 megadoses of D3 over the past month, and now I'm on 5000IU per day.

I just wanted to know the difference between D2 and D3 and whether D2 is safe to take...

What is K2 and what does it help with in the body?

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
What is K2 and what does it help with in the body?
I believe it helps direct the calcium to where it's beneficial. Otherwise, taking lots of calcium and D might result in bone spurs or worse yet in calcification of arteries.

halcyon

If you're taking it just for the calcium content then that small amount of D2 shouldn't be a problem. If you're trying to replete or maintain vitamin D levels then you will want to be taking a D3 supplement in addition. D2 is about 30% less potent than D3 and doesn't work very well to increase D levels.