• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mother and son XMRV positive by culture- rest of family Negative! - Personal story

Hope123

Asus389, what is the normal range on your functional assay? I don't have it in front of me but I think my result is around your range but the normal range goes up to the 200s so mine is only low normal. I couldn't get a count for some reason with my tests.

Funkster, it's just interesting to see if you and your son had similar exposures leading to this illness. And potentially the lead time to seeing symptoms emerge. I wonder if your son's EBV is a primary infection vs. a reactivation.

subtr4ct

Change or results here... My son (1st born) does have XMRV by culture. So, my husband and daughter do not have it. He is not symptomatic. So sorry for the screw up! MY husband thought the doctor said one had it, but I had fibro brain and just got the hard copy results today. I'm sad for him! But, I can keep a watchful eye for the signs.

Might this new information warrant changing the thread title? It seems somewhat misleading now. An anecdote of possible mother-to-child transmission seems like important information to me.

K

Katie

Might this new information warrant changing the thread title? It seems somewhat misleading now. An anecdote of possible mother-to-child transmission seems like important information to me.

I agree, I'll change the title.

ldhunter, I hope your son remains asymptomatic for life. At least with this knowledge you can make informed decisions regarding things that might effect the immune system such as vaccines, diet, exercise and particular bugs that might be circulating at school. Good luck.

So if your son is positive, but with no symptoms, how does that link XMRV to CFS if healthy people or children have it too? This seems really confusing to me.

Hope123

Ldhunter, you might want to think about testing the other members of your family if other tests are available in the future given that we don't know how sensitive the current tests are or the rate of false-positives.

Aiden, there are many illnesses (infectious and not) where you need more than characteristic (e.g. certain gene and exposure) to get an illness. So it would not be surprising to me at all if there are folks with XMRV out there who never get sick.