• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best for of Curcumin?

ebethc

Hi
I've read that curcumin is 1) best taken w Black Pepper (Piperine?) 2) best taken w phospholipids (usually, phosphatadylcholine); 3) Jarrow also makes a plain curcumin.

Which is best? Any brands recommended?

Also, the problem with the #2/phospholipids is that they are soy-derived (unless there's a brand out there that I haven't found..)

thanks

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I tried a brand called Curamin just once but it was effective for some nasty headache pain. I believe its a blend with other natural painkillers and antiinflammatories

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I tried turmeric root extract - cleared my sinuses and helped the air hunger that day, but also unfortunately caused severe stomach pain and diarrhoea - I'm going to try splitting the capsules into smaller amounts - have bought some blanks, but not looking forward to moving the powder from one capsule to another...

ebethc

Is the curcumin with bioperine (black pepper) really better than the other kinds of curcumin? (plain, meriva, etc)

thanks

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I am using Jarrow. Splitting a 500mg capsule and taking 125mg. I am tolerating it well. I am not taking it with fats or pepper or anything special.

As far as I can tell it is working. I have had to reduce my diabetes meds and stop taking Cartia due to the curcumin reducing my blood sugar levels and thinning my blood. :) I have been on it for about 6 weeks. I can't think of anything else I am taking or doing that is having these effects.

Best wishes Andy

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I just wanted to give a warning about Curcumin. I had Sjogren's antibodies and started taking Curcumin. The antibodies doubled. After I quit taking it, they went down. I assume it is probably one of the best things a person with a weak immune system can take. However, if you also have an autoimmune disease, it might not be a good idea to take Curcumin.

Gondwanaland

I just wanted to give a warning about Curcumin. I had Sjogren's antibodies and started taking Curcumin. The antibodies doubled. After I quit taking it, they went down. I assume it is probably one of the best things a person with a weak immune system can take. However, if you also have an autoimmune disease, it might not be a good idea to take Curcumin.
Vitamin D at 3,000 iu daily for 3 months had this same effect on my thyroid antibodies last year.

ebethc

Vitamin D at 3,000 iu daily for 3 months had this same effect on my thyroid antibodies last year.

Wow... I wonder what the link is between Vitamin D & Thyroid...

I don't have thyroid antibodies, but I'm hypothyroid and I believe that it has something to do w my immune problems..

I have EBV antibodies and I hope curcumin doesn't mess up my EBV... It's a drag when it flares.

thanks.

perchance dreamer

I wanted to add that the noticeable effect I have with Longvida is improvement in short-term memory. I don't see any help with joint pain from this supplement.

However, the short-term memory improvement is big for me. My father had Alzheimer's, and 2 first cousins got it in their 50s, so when I started noticing a memory problem, I freaked out.

It took 2 or 3 weeks, but my short-term memory has really improved.

ebethc

I wanted to add that the noticeable effect I have with Longvida is improvement in short-term memory. I don't see any help with joint pain from this supplement.

However, the short-term memory improvement is big for me. My father had Alzheimer's, and 2 first cousins got it in their 50s, so when I started noticing a memory problem, I freaked out.

It took 2 or 3 weeks, but my short-term memory has really improved.

Glad to hear that it helped! What is Longvida? What's the dosage?

Not sure about which brands are the best, but I have certainly read that Curcumin paired with Black pepper extract is far more effective. I think the Bioperine website states it is absorbed 2000x better if I remember correctly.
Also, have you looked at phosphatidylserine?

cigana

Hi
I've read that curcumin is 1) best taken w Black Pepper (Piperine?) 2) best taken w phospholipids (usually, phosphatadylcholine); 3) Jarrow also makes a plain curcumin.

Which is best? Any brands recommended?

Also, the problem with the #2/phospholipids is that they are soy-derived (unless there's a brand out there that I haven't found..)

thanks
The only brand that works for me in Enhansa.

perchance dreamer

@ebethc, sorry to be so late responding to you.

The brand of Longvida I take is Protocol for Life Cogcumin SLCP, 400 MG. I take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon, both on an empty stomach. There are other brands of Longvida.

acrosstheveil

i've tried all sorts and my favorite is liposomal curcumin w/ resveratrol. made from non-soy phospholipids too!

from seeking health