• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for cheap methylation test

TheChosenOne

Hi

I'm looking for a cheap methylation test. The ones I see mentioned on the forum are ~€300, which is way too much for me, since I'm just a student. What's the difference with the one at 23andme? This one is only $99.

Thanks.

Valentijn

I'm looking for a cheap methylation test. The ones I see mentioned on the forum are ~€300, which is way too much for me, since I'm just a student. What's the difference with the one at 23andme? This one is only $99.
The expensive one tests actual blood levels. 23andMe tests SNPs, which are usually only partially determining actual levels of substances in your body.

Lynn_M

The blood and urine tests are functional tests of how well your body is working. 23andMe tests your genetic blueprint, but genes aren't necessarily expressed, and the interplay of how all the genes work together is very complex. 23andMe is like telling you your blueprint, whereas functional tests tell you how that blueprint is being put into action.

PeterPositive

The cheapest methylation test is checking your serum homocysteine :)
It's not conclusive alone, but in conjunction with 23andme could be an initial step.

In my case I had elevated Hcy, which suggested low B12 and methylation issues, confirmed by 23andme which came back with several folate and B12 snps.

hope it helps

Helen

Last edited:

TheChosenOne

What is deranged mineral transport, and how is it tested for?
Deranged mineral transport means that something interferes with the transport of minerals.
It's tested for by a hair test, as recommended by Cutler. If you are interested, here is the result:
EssentialMinerals.png

Valentijn

What is deranged mineral transport, and how is it tested for?
I had minerals accidentally tested once, in my blood. Most were low in the cells, high in the serum, and pretty normal in the whole blood. Which would suggest some problems with getting sufficient amounts of minerals into the cells.