• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gulf War Syndrome CoQ10 Trial

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
"In the study, 46 veterans with the syndrome received a placebo or differing doses of the supplement on a daily basis. Golomb’s group used PharmaNord, a version of coenzyme Q10 made in Denmark.

The result: 80 percent who got a 100 mg dose of the supplement showed improved physical function. The degree of improvement correlated to how much coenzyme Q10 levels in the blood increased.

Researchers also saw a lessening of symptoms such as headaches, fatigue after exercise, irritability, recall problems and muscle pain. Of 20 symptoms they chose to study, 19 showed improvement, according to self-assessments by patients, Golomb said.

The downside: sleeplessness. Coenzyme Q10 charges up cell activity to the point that it can keep people awake if taken near bedtime.

Presently, coenzyme Q10 is available in most drug stores without a prescription.

However, Golomb said high-quality versions can be expensive. And less costly variants sometimes contain additives that work against the antioxidant properties."

Sorry, but the article does not mention what these additives are.

natasa778

Interesting slide on p15

Dose Consideration
Nonmonotonic.
This is the norm for antioxidants: many are prooxidant at higher doses. BUT point of
transition varies.
This is common for nutrients: Supplement trials often err by thinking if some is good, more is
better*

*Morris MC, Tangney CC. A potential design flaw ofr andomized trials of vitamin supplements. JAMA
2011;305:1348-9.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!

jimells

Overall, my neurological symptoms are much better than say, four years ago. I'm pretty sure most of that improvement is from CoQ10. Unfortunately, even as the neuro symptoms improve, my overall physical capacity is much, much less than four years ago...

I started taking it after I found a Pubmed review article that suggested CoQ10 could be helpful for migraine, which seems to be the case for me. That same article did NOT list the anti-seizure med a neuro was trying to sell me at the time.