• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctors near Kentucky?

Does anyone have recommendations? I need to find someone that prescribes long-term antibiotics ASAP, I just found out that my doctor is going to to prescribe 1 month's worth more and then will write a letter to another doc describing the treatment plan she has in mind. Please help if you can! I can travel if I need to. They need to take my insurance, too, none of those out of pocket only people because god knows I can't afford it!

Thanks so much for reading and helping out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ema

Does anyone have recommendations? I need to find someone that prescribes long-term antibiotics ASAP, I just found out that my doctor is only going to prescribe 1 month's worth more and then will only write a letter to another doc describing the treatment plan she has in mind. Please help if you can! I can travel if I need to. They need to take my insurance, too, none of those out of pocket only people because god knows I can't afford it!

Thanks so much for reading and helping out :)
Do you have Lyme?

ILADS has a dr finder though there aren't many insurance options.

My LLMD in Indianapolis is great but she doesn't take insurance.

Welcome to PR!

Martial

Look up for any LLMDS in your local area, this stands for Lyme Literate Medical Doctors. There are also a lot of natural protocols you can use to recover from lyme. Check out the work of Dr. Stephen Buhner, and Dr. Lee Cowden.

I don't have Lyme from what I can tell. I've been tested 3 times. Isn't this a chronic fatigue forum? That's what I have, and I've been on doxy for over a year for a bacterial infection.

Thanks for the welcome, Ema!

I actually just started looking into LLMDs right before I looked back at this, since they are the only people I can think of who would prescribe the antibiotics. But they *have* to take my insurance. I barely make enough money to pay for food right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ema

I don't have Lyme from what I can tell. I've been tested 3 times. Isn't this a chronic fatigue forum? That's what I have, and I've been on doxy since September of 2013 for a mycoplasma pneumoniae infection.

Thanks for the welcome, Ema!

I actually just started looking into LLMDs right before I looked back at this, since they are the only people I can think of who would prescribe the antibiotics. But they *have* to take my insurance. I barely make enough money to pay for food right now.
Far be it from me to suggest self treating, but a bottle of doxy is pretty cheap if that's all you're after.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/p-143-doxine-100-doxycycline.aspx

It is an ME/CFS forum. It just that most of us on long term abx also have Lyme. As you say, those are the docs that are generally willing to prescribe abx long term. Outside of that, dermatologists are generally pretty free with the doxy scripts for acne.

Did you get testing through a specialty lab like IgeneX for Lyme?

Hope you find what you need!

I'm not self treating, it's what my doctor recommends, she just doesn't want to write the actual prescription. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you? What's up with that website? Are they reputable? I thought antibiotics were federally regulated...

I didn't get it through a specialty lab, both my original doc who prescribed the doc and my primary care people used LabCorp.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Ema

I'm not self treating, it's what my doctor recommends, she just doesn't want to write the actual prescription. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you? What's up with that website? Are they reputable? I thought antibiotics were federally regulated...

I didn't get it through a specialty lab, both my original doc who prescribed the doc and my primary care people used LabCorp.

Thanks so much for your help :)
I don't have any words for a doctor that recommends a treatment and then refuses to stand behind her judgment by writing the prescription. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this kind of stress. It's the last thing a sick person needs.

Inhouse Pharmacy has been around for a very long time and is generally considered to be quite reputable. I would never suggest you use any particular online pharmacy though or suggest that you self-treat though because that would be unwise and potentially illegal. You must do your own research and make your own decisions. I am not aware that they actually require a prescription to be sent but again...I'm just throwing out options for you to consider.

Antibiotics are antibiotics whether you get them at your local CVS, order them in from Canada (as many seniors do to save $) or get them online from a web pharmacy. US law typically allows for importation of up to a 3 month supply for personal use (but I am not a lawyer either).

If you had an ELISA test for Lyme, I would suggest testing further as it is no more reliable than tossing a coin unfortunately. Even their Western blot is less sensitive than IgeneX's. It uses an inferior gel medium (which influences the results), and they use only two Lyme strains from rabbits (IgeneX uses actual strains from people and many more of them).

The reason IgeneX gets more positive results is because they look harder...not because they are dodgy. It's not a perfect test but it's the gold standard here at the moment along with the emerging LTT.

In her defense, we had a miscommunication. She told me that she wanted me to find another doctor, but long story short I thought it was also OK to just get my lab work done here and she would still write the prescriptions. It's because I haven't seen her in person for a long while and she's worried about her license and stuff... totally understandable, just a shitty situation.

Thank you so much for your sympathy, Ema, and for all the information! I really appreciate it! :)