• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evidence for the existence of ME/CFS with & without abdominal discomfort (irritable bowel) syndrome

Bob

Evidence for the existence of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) with and without abdominal discomfort (irritable bowel) syndrome.
Maes M, Leunis JC, Geffard M, Berk M.
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2014 Nov 2;35(6):445-453. [Epub ahead of print]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25433843

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
There is evidence that Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is accompanied by gastro-intestinal symptoms; and IgA and IgM responses directed against lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of commensal bacteria, indicating bacterial translocation.

METHODS:
This study was carried out to examine gastro-intestinal symptoms in subjects with ME/CFS versus those with chronic fatigue (CF). The two groups were dissected by dichotomizing those fulfilling and not fulfilling Fukuda's critera. In these groups, we examined the association between gastro-intestinal symptoms and the IgA and IgM responses directed against commensal bacteria.

RESULTS:
Using cluster analysis performed on gastro-intestinal symptoms we delineated that the cluster analysis-generated diagnosis of abdominal discomfort syndrome (ADS) was significantly higher in subjects with ME/CFS (59.6%) than in those with CF (17.7%). The diagnosis of ADS was strongly associated with the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). There is evidence that ME/CFS consists of two subgroups, i.e. ME/CFS with and without ADS. Factor analysis showed four factors, i.e. 1) inflammation-hyperalgesia; 2) fatigue-malaise; 3) gastro-intestinal symptoms/ADS; and 4) neurocognitive symptoms. The IgA and IgM responses to LPS of commensal bacteria were significantly higher in ME/CFS patients with ADS than in those without ADS.

CONCLUSIONS:
The findings show that ADS is a characteristic of a subset of patients with ME/CFS and that increased bacterial translocation (leaky gut) is associated with ADS symptoms. This study has defined a pathway phenotype, i.e bacterial translocation, that is related to ME/CFS and ADS/IBS and that may drive systemic inflammatory processes.

Last edited:

Bob

Full paper not available yet. I'm reserving judgement until I can see the full paper.

The Abstract said:
"In these groups, we examined the association between gastro-intestinal symptoms and the IgA and IgM responses directed against commensal bacteria."
I'd like to know how they have worked out that there were IgA and IgM responses specifically directed against the lipopolysaccharides (LPS) of commensal bacteria.

Sidereal

The journal looks trash but I'd be curious to see the full text. Immune responses to commensal bacteria have previously been detected in other conditions like IBD.

A.B.

By chance, I found that vitamin A stops regular diarrhea / loose stools completely. I then learned that vitamin A is important for correct functioning of the immune system in the gut. A relevant article: Vitamin A: The Key to A Tolerant Immune System?

Edit: I take relatively large doses, and not indefinitely. I don't want to give exact recommendations here as there are potential safety issues. I'm not sure how much is required to get an effect either.

Last edited:

PennyIA

By chance, I found that vitamin A stops regular diarrhea / loose stools completely. I then learned that vitamin A is important for correct functioning of the immune system in the gut.
Interesting. When I did a quick search, I found that zinc and vitamin a are really starting to be cutting edge around persistent diarrhea and that there's some promise there.

Next, (After the fiasco of taking folic acid, b6, and cyanocobalamin to lower high homocysteine levels)... does anyone know if there are specific forms to take or NOT to take, or take with/without food, etc... what are the current 'best practices' on taking zinc, vitamin a (and if we know on the methylation process - impacts)...?

Martial

I am surprised a mainstream medical journal actually used the phrase "leaky gut". Though I of course don't doubt its existence I have never heard mainstream doctors even here of the terminology.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I am surprised a mainstream medical journal actually used the phrase "leaky gut". Though I of course don't doubt its existence I have never heard mainstream doctors even here of the terminology.

I just did a title search for the phrase 'leaky gut' in Highwire journal database and got 29 hits, including one in PLoS One and 2 in The Lancet.