• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andMe expands to the UK

wdb

23andMe expands to the UK despite US restrictions
The same tests that the company isn't allowed to market in the US will be sold in the UK

23andMe, the genetics company, is expanding its Personal Genome Service to the UK market. Perhaps wary of the troubles that have plagued the company in the US, 23andMe notes that its services are not diagnostic in its UK press release. That doesn't stop the company from promising to reveal risk factors and genes for sickle cell anemia, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease — using the same health reports that U.S. officials have suspended...

barbc56

Do you have an agency in the UK that has oversight for such matters? Anything for a buck, eh?

Barb

PennyIA

To be honest? I always thought that the risk factors reports were nowhere near as valuable as the individual genetic analysis anyway. The reports were each based on a single genetic indicator and it's value was only as good as the previous studies on that gene which may or may not be accurate. Plus it would state something like I have a 50% risk of high blood pressure issues, when in fact I struggle with low blood pressure. Knowing that you are at risk has some values, but knowing the genetics directly and looking up the studies yourself to judge for a quality study is of more value, to me personally. Knowing the MTHFR and using it to look up different proposed supplement recommendations actually gives me something I could work with instead of just a list of things that I might be at risk for and may never, ever have to deal with.

I think that even a single gene singled out as increasing or decreasing your risk of something isn't the complete picture (with a few exceptions)... I think it's probably much more complex than that for so many health factors.

barbc56

I think it's probably much more complex than that for so many health factors

Absolutely. There are just so many factors to consider such as the type of environment, a person is exposed to which can make the number of possible outcomes huge. Even geneticist who have had years of training know that they are dealing with many unknowns.

As you said, there are exceptions where it's easier to predict outcomes but overall it's a very complicated process.

Barb

optimist

I am doing a lot of reading and research these days on the methylation topic :ill:. I understand that it can be an advantage to take a 23andMe test, but this whole Google marriage is kind of scary to me. I value my privacy! Are there no other similar service than this one?

Valentijn

I am doing a lot of reading and research these days on the methylation topic :ill:. I understand that it can be an advantage to take a 23andMe test, but this whole Google marriage is kind of scary to me. I value my privacy! Are there no other similar service than this one?
You can opt to keep your genetic data private when you sign up. Or you can opt to let it be used in research, etc.