• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

JC virus only infects human glia and not brain cells

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
“The JC virus is an example of an infection that specifically targets glia, the brain’s support cells,” said neurologist Steve Goldman, M.D., Ph.D., co-director of University of Rochester Center for Translational Neuromedicine and senior author of the paper. “Because this virus only infects human glia and not brain cells in other species, it has eluded our efforts to better understand this disease. To get around this problem, we have developed a new mouse model that allows us to study human glia in live animals.”

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=4209

heapsreal

While searching for antiviral type treatments for JC virus, i just came across this

The boxed warning for the drug rituximab (Rituxan, co-marketed by Genentech BioOncology and Biogen Idec) includes a statement that JC virus infection resulting in progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, and death has been reported in patients treated with the drug.

This warning is also common with other similar drugs eg natalizumab efalizumab brentuximab vedotin

It seems Chimerix antiviral cmx001 can inhibit the replication of JC virus and a broad spectrum of effects on many other viruses. Maybe a better antiviral to use with rituximab than valcyte???
http://ir.chimerix.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=752317

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JC_virus

heapsreal

If the theory of B cells as a reservoir for ebv is correct and if an earlier research link i posted saying ebv reactivation generally isnt a lone wolf, than its possible that JC virus could be active in many cfs/me people.

JC virus is said to infect are large percentage of the general population just like ebv/cmv/hhv6 and is also known to reactivate in immune suppressed people. The first link in this thread shows a strong link between JC virus and human glia, glia which is being talked about alot on this forum?? It seems many things can affect glia cells??

Ema

It looks like Lariam (mefloquine) has been identified as having some activity against JC virus in the brain. Of course, all the anti malarials seem to have some rather unpleasant side effects. I wonder if something like artemisinin would work at all?

Brincidofovir (CMX001) isn't yet available. I wish it would hurry up as it seems quite useful!

heapsreal

It looks like Lariam (mefloquine) has been identified as having some activity against JC virus in the brain. Of course, all the anti malarials seem to have some rather unpleasant side effects. I wonder if something like artemisinin would work at all?

Brincidofovir (CMX001) isn't yet available. I wish it would hurry up as it seems quite useful!

I wish there was some easy way to test if these viruses are active or not. I think more research needs to go into actual testing of viruses activity.

Also another antiviral called valomaciclovir which is said to be effective against shingles and EBV, still not available yet, im sure they will be costly.

Now that valcyte is generic in the US, would think that they would bring another patented antiviral to the market soon??

Ema

Now that valcyte is generic in the US, would think that they would bring another patented antiviral to the market soon??
I don't think Valcyte is generic yet. I'm still getting the brand name at $8K/mo.

I agree about testing. ELISA testing for antibodies is so limited.

I've not heard of that other AV. But it would be nice to have some other options!

Ema

It looks like Valcyte comes off patent at the end of March 2015. Wonder how long for the generics to come out? I almost hate to switch mid-treatment. The generics never seem quite as potent.

RL_sparky

Wonder how long for the generics to come out?
http://www.empr.com/endo-approved-for-generic-valcyte/article/382267/

Endo Approved for Generic Valcyte Endo announced that Qualitest, its subsidiary, has received final approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on its Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) for Valganciclovir Tablets, the generic version of Roche's Valcyte.

Valcyte is a nucleoside analog indicated for the treatment of AIDS-related cytomegalovirus (CMV) retinitis, prevention of CMV disease in kidney, heart, or kidney-pancreas transplant adult patients at high risk, and prevention of CMV disease in kidney and heart transplant pediatric patients (4 months to 16 years old) at high risk.

RELATED: Endo Launches Generic Fortesta Gel

Valganciclovir is an L-valyl ester (prodrug) of ganciclovir that exists as a mixture of two diastereomers. After oral administration, both diastereomers are rapidly converted to ganciclovir by intestinal and hepatic esterases. Ganciclovir is a synthetic analogue of 2'-deoxyguanosine, which inhibits replication of human CMV in cell culture and in vivo.
Valganciclovir Tablets will be available in a 450mg strength.

For more information call (800) 462-3636 or visit Endo.com.