• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great explanation of Autoimmune Disease

drob31

He mentioned that an estrogen drop (one example) can precipitate an autoimmune response.

Has anyone ever had a cyrex autoimmune pannel run?

msf

He was a chiropractor, not sure that's the best start if you want to understand auto-immune disease. And he hasn't obtained his neurology degree yet. His mentor sounds much better qualified, why isn't he giving the presentation? Anyway, just anticipating some of Prof. Edward's concerns. It is a easy-to-understand intro to the basics of the immune response, but it would have been good if he explained how inhibiting IL-1 is better than using immuno-suppressive drugs, and how the 'nervous-endocrine-immune axis' works.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
This is a complete joke. He even thinks that cytokines are white blood cells (they are molecules not cells). This is what you would expect from someone who knows no immunology at all who has been to a lecture and not quite understood it. The explanation is great in the sense that he speaks clearly and sounds knowledgeable but sadly he has no clue. It has nothing to do with real immunology, let alone autoimmunity. We have a much better explanation from Simon on PR!! Much much much better - Simon knows exactly what he is talking about!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
And it's an advert. After 'educating' us all in this gobbledygook he invites us to his office - scary that there are people who think they can get away with this.

msf

Haha, I didn't even notice that he said that cytokines were a kind of cell...back to immunology school!

Gondwanaland

He mentioned that an estrogen drop (one example) can precipitate an autoimmune response.
Interesting. Even though my autoimmunity runs in my family, my symptoms only started to manifest when I had to stop to take the pill after a DVT.