• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody taking MitoQ?

perchance dreamer

Amazon has user reviews of MitoQ as well as Truth in Aging:

https://www.truthinaging.com/mitoq-5mg-targeted-anti-oxidant-supplements

I haven't tried it although I do use a MitoQ skin serum, and it's great.

My reaction to COQ10 depends on the brand. I took the Mercola brand (100 MG ubiquinol) for a long time and never noticed an effect.

I switched to the Numedica brand and noticed that 100 MG gave me a lot of energy, but also insomnia. I now take 50 MG, not because it gives me energy, but because I have a strong family history of heart disease, and COQ10 is supposed to help with prevention.

http://www.numedica.com/Product_detail.cfm?Fname=NM55

perchance dreamer

@boohealth, I just ordered some MitoQ. I got it for 20% off in a Black Friday sale.

I opted for free shopping, so it could take me almost 2 weeks to get it, but I'll let you know once I try it.

boohealth

@perchance dreamer, what do you use the serum for? and do you have a link?

you know, I'm taking a pure power of coq10 and noticing nothing. maybe i need to switch brands. maybe some brands get old on the shelf.

Ema

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Ema! I'm glad someone else admits to being vain.

I'm looking for help with hyperpigmentation and spots on my chest, too. A long time ago I got a terrible sunburn on my chest when I was hiking in the mountains. I was wearing a scoop-necked top and forgot to apply sunscreen there.

Here's an article from Truth in Aging about this subject. I'm going to ask customer service to recommend a specific product. They respond promptly to questions and are really good. I'll let you know what they say.

https://www.truthinaging.com/review/what-causes-dark-spots-and-how-to-get-rid-of-dark-spots

@boohealth, maybe the reason you haven't had success with COQ10 isn't because your product got old on the shelf, but because you haven't found the right form and brand for you.

Like I said, I could never tell a difference with the Mercola 100MG ubiquinol, but the crystal-free ubiquinone from NuMedica does have noticeable effects. Ubiquinol is supposed to be the more absorbable than ubiquinone, but that wasn't the case for me with these 2 products.

So I'm not sure if it's the brand or the form for me. NuMedica is pharmaceutical grade unlike Mercola, but that may not have anything to do with the effectiveness. When I have a choice, I do pick pharmaceutical-grade products although I also have luck with brands like Jarrow and Gaia Herbs.

boohealth

@perchance dreamer, did the serum actually help? all the reviews on the site seem to be in house marketing, they ring false and are only first names, with a few of course, saying it takes months to notice a difference (which is intended to keep people buying it, I assume). I'd buy it if I trusted a few reviews as I am vain, too.

I'm discarding my coq10. It's NOW powder. It does nothing. Either it expired or it's useless. The one form that really was profound was the sugar free liquid ubiquinoal that costs $200 a bottle. You'll see on amazon, a few reviews, one by a guy in heart failure. The only issue was when I took it i reacted to the fillers or carriers with brain fog for an hour or two and found that really unpleasant. Softgels aren't good either, as they have yucky ingredients and carriers. I'm tempted to buy the expensive stuff again and just take it 3x week, and suffer through the temporary brain fog.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

@boohealth, I'm glad to hear you're vain, too! I was hoping you weren't rolling your eyes at Ema and me for discussing skincare.

Yes, the MitoQ serum does help my face with both lines and sagging. However, it hasn't helped the hyperpigmentation on my chest although it has improved its skin texture.

It did take several weeks to start noticing a difference. I use 1 pump on my face, 1 on my neck, and 1 on my chest.

My skin is dry, so I put a little moisturizer on top after the serum is absorbed.

I've bought products from Truth in Aging for 2 years now and have been pleased. Their customer service is really good, and they have frequent sales.

To get the discounts and sale notifications, you do have to sign up for their online newsletter. I was reluctant to do that, but I've never had any trouble such as getting annoying advertisements from other vendors clogging up my mailbox.

Still, I do recommend any skincare product somewhat reluctantly. Some products that others rave about haven't helped me much. I think what's going to help our skin is kind of a crap shoot, and you have to be willing to experiment.