• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Grape seed extract, reasons for getting bad?

Sinclair

I recall eating grape seeds experiencing some improvement.:)

However after a few days trialing grape seed extract (GSE) I think this might be the cause of the recent worsening of my symptoms. It don't appears as a die-off to me, but as an agent working against my efforts towards generating a Th1 response (steps back feeling)

I was wondering if anyone has had bad experiences with GSE, or would be so kind in explaining me the likely causes for a bad reaction.

Many thanks in advance!

S.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Is it grapefruit seed or grape seed? they are very different, grape seed is an antioxidant, the other is a cyst/biofilm buster used in Lyme treatment.

Ema

I recall eating grape seeds experiencing some improvement.:)

However after a few days trialing grape seed extract (GSE) I think this might be the cause of the recent worsening of my symptoms. It don't appears as a die-off to me, but as an agent working against my efforts towards generating a Th1 response (steps back feeling)

I was wondering if anyone has had bad experiences with GSE, our would be so kind in explain me likely causes for a bad reaction.

Many thanks in advance!

S.
Grape seed extract promotes a Th1 response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC119947/

Gondwanaland

What do you feel?
What else do you take?
What I know about Grape Seed Extract is that it is high salicylates and estrogenic.

Sinclair

Basically, I feel that the improvements I get with the protocol listed in my signature become less strong, I start to feel again symptoms that were "under control", such as pain in my spine and abdomen and increased weakness. As if GSE was acting in the opposite direction....I don't know how to describe it in more details...

What consequences or symptoms may be expected from high salicylates or estrogenic GSE's properties?

Thanks @Gondwanaland!

Gondwanaland

Sorry, I didn't notice your sig before

I have experienced high salicylate symptoms as increased uric acid, increased ammonia, MCS (toothpaste!), sudden several food intolerances (essentially breathlessness).

I reversed it with a couple of sodium bicarbonate baths and one month of aggressive oral magnesium supplementation. Due to increased uric acid I don't think I would tolerate Mg chloride, and due to increased ammonia I never tolerated Mg sulfate (Epsom salts).

I understand that due to your condition you wouldn't tolerate oral magnesium...

But for you it could be something else.

Sinclair

Helen

Like sausages... it's better not to see them being made? Thanks!
Anyway, the product I am consuming is this one:

http://www.biovea.com/UK/product_detail.aspx?NAME=GRAPE-SEED-EXTRACT-100mg-120-Capsules&PID=268&OS=237

:)
In fact, I thought more of the risks for you if you have mutations in the CYPs that were mentioned ("detox genes" if you have a 23andme test result)
Grape fruit juice e.g. is wellknown in medicine to affect the metabolism of lots of drugs even without gene defects in the CYP3A4.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1873672/

Sinclair

Thanks @Helen and @Gondwanaland.

It seems hard to discover the reason without further tests... I plan to have them by January...meanwhile, there is not that much I can do from my country beyond stopping GSE intake....