• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

waking up gasping for air

fibrodude84

I find that more often lately I wake up frantically gasping for air. It's really odd and scary because I feel like I have to try hard to force oxygen.

This is mostly from sleep but sometimes just laying on my back awake I get it too.

Any idea what this is or what can be done?

@fibrodude84 - Have you tried laying on your side instead when it happens? I had problems for a while, first with being on my back, then on my right side as well. Though I think some people with the same problem have problem with the left side instead of the right side.

If you have a finger pulse oximeter you can see what's happening on your back. In my case, my oxygen saturation would drop and my heart rate would rise. During very bad spells, I had to sit up hunched over until it subsided.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I would ask how long the gasping goes on. If it is for more than two minutes even after sitting up - really fighting for air and not really able to speak - then you should get medical advice, as that would sound like overloaded pulmonary veins from cardiac or kidney problems.

If the gasping dies down after about half a minute to a minute and you feel OK again I agree with adreno that this might be sleep apnoea (when you think you were awake you might have nodded off without realising it). I also think this may be some sort of hypersensitivity of lung J receptors. Pulmonary venous pressure goes up in all of us when we lie down and I think it is conceivable that in some situations that lung is oversensitive to this. I can get something like this at night if it is very hot and I have done a lot of exercise that day. It would make sense to me that in ME the sensory sensitivity could do this, although that is me speculating again. I found I could get rid of my version by sleeping slightly propped up on three pillows and keeping a window open.

The only thing I think would be important to check out, as I say, would be pulmonary venous overload, but if it is that it tends to go on a long time and you know something is badly wrong.

caledonia

I've had this. I believe it's some sort of central sleep apnea caused by a signalling problem in the brain due to methylation issues. Methylation treatment has been helpful in reducing the severity. I'm hopeful as I progress that this will eventually go away.

I've tried the pillow/sleeping wedge thing but it didn't really help. It shows up on a pulse oximeter as a reduction in oxygen levels. Then I have a racing heart.

If you're feeling oxygen deprived after one of these episodes, or after a night of "sleep" with these going on all night long, try some long slow deep breaths.

fibrodude84

Thanks guys, I thought of sleep apnea because it usually happens at night but it has happened a few times while awake and lying down too. Maybe you are right though Jonathan that I was pseudo awake. I will buy a finger monitor to check heart and oxygen. They are so expensive!

I also just feel very congested in my throat. So annoying!

Forbin

I've had this on occasion, as well as a variation where I wake up and my heart is pounding but I am not gasping for air. The heart pounding goes on for several minutes and seems to be helped by deep breathing even though I really don't feel any "hunger" for air. I doubt the heart pounding is caused by nightmares because A) I don't recall any and B) the pounding goes on too long and doesn't feel like an adrenalin rush.

A sleep study once did show a couple of episodes of central sleep apnea, but apparently not enough of them to be considered diagnostic. It was an abbreviated study since I only managed to sleep for about 3-4 hours. From other accounts I've seen on this forum an elsewhere, I suspect that central sleep apnea is more common in ME/cfs than in the general population.

The type of central sleep apnea I have is called Cheyne-Stokes breathing. It is associated with congestive heart failure and stroke - but I have neither. It is tempting to connect it with the other "feedback loop" failures seen in ME.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I find that more often lately I wake up frantically gasping for air. It's really odd and scary because I feel like I have to try hard to force oxygen.

This is mostly from sleep but sometimes just laying on my back awake I get it too.

Any idea what this is or what can be done?

@fibrodude84 Sorry if you said this and I missed it but when you wake up gasping for air, are you also having tachycardia?