• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating the water retention

drob31

I've been doing a little research because I wanted to find the mechanism behind the water retention for when your cells aren't getting adequate t3.

This could be because you have low t3, or because of sick euthyroid syndrome, where you have enough serum free t3, but your receptors are resistant. This is usually because of high cortisol. We know low cortisol can cause hypothyroidism because cortisol is required for the t3 to enter the cell. There are allot of possible reasons for this, but I'm not focusing on this here. We're assuming the actual water retention itself is mediated by either high aldosterone/cortisol or hypothyroid (celluar thyroid resistance due to high cortisol, with normal free t3).

Judging by the renin-angiotensin system ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...24px-Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone_system.png ), I could see two places where it could be mitigated, either at the step where ACE converts Angiotensin I to Angiotensin II. I think that would call for an ACE inhibitor.

Also I noticed if it was strictly caused by ADH, it could be mitigated with a vasopressin antagonist.

This would be treating a symptom instead of the root cause, but it would be interesting to find out if using one of these would work. It would prove the hypothesis correct.

"...hypothyroidism causes a reversible increase in vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone or ADH) sensitivity of the collecting ducts, thus increasing free water reabsorption. The increased fluid retention, however, is unable to maximally suppress ADH in hypothyroidism.[45] The resistance of pituitary response to increased fluid retention leads to continued ADH activity and further free water retention."

My doc is on board with letting me start with an ACEi to test this hypothesis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3313737/

Also, thyroid receptor resistance:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2574767

drob31

You could try increasing potassium intake.

Good point. I think including more fruits and vegetables can help here. Also, a CBC blood panel should help here with knowing your sodium/potassium levels.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It depends, there's allot of factors. Is your t3 still low? Is it your free t3? How does your rt3, and cortisol look?
My cortisol was close to normal when it was tested several years ago.

It has been about a year since I have had a thyroid test for which I have the results. At that time my FT3 had come up, but was still a little low. My RT3 had come down, but I don't remember if it was in the normal range.

drob31

My cortisol was close to normal when it was tested several years ago.

It has been about a year since I have had a thyroid test for which I have the results. At that time my FT3 had come up, but was still a little low. My RT3 had come down, but I don't remember if it was in the normal range.

If your free t3 is low that could most definitely cause fluid retention.

drob31

Just an update: I'll be talking to my doctor tomorrow over Skype. I'm looking to get a ton of prescriptions filled (lol). In any case, I'm going to get an ACE inhibitor, or vasopressin/aldosterone antagonist. I will see if this has an impact on the water issue.

I can't find any literature or studies that show people even trying to deal with water retention unless it's heart/kidney/liver issues.

FFish,Flax and Borage oil help a lot withwateer retention. So does apple cider vinegar, I use 2tbspns in a 20 ounce bottle of lemon water. For the lemon water I use 1 cup concentrate to a gallon of water. I hope this helps. Rita

drob31

Thanks for the advice.

The water retention in my case is caused by hypothyroidism... which is caused by hpa-axis dysfunction... which is caused by neurotransmitter imbalances.

I had Graves disease, did radioactive iodine 19 years ago. Thyroid not regulated for the past 13 years even though I am life. Dependent on the meds. It's been one heck of a journey!