• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just saw a dermatologist who knew about dysautonomia!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Before he entered the examination room I heard him comment that he needed to drink some water cause he was seeing spots when he stood up. Then he added, "I learned that in medical school. :rofl:"

This gave the perfect opening for me when he saw and commented on my medic alert bracelet that says "Dysautonomia." He then then offered and brought me a glass of water, saying he used to be a waiter.:thumbsup:

When he later needed to give a lidocaine injection he knew to give one without epinephrine. Maybe I am lucky but I have met a lot of docs lately who know something about dysautonomia.

Sushi

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@Sushi sounds like he is in the wrong specialty, probably knows about it because he has it himself.

Did he offer any treatments besides a glass of water for dysautonomia?

Sushi

@Sushi sounds like he is in the wrong specialty, probably knows about it because he has it himself.

Did he offer any treatments besides a glass of water for dysautonomia?

Just mentioned electrolytes. If he has dysautonomia problems himself, he didn't mention it. We talked more about cool medic alert bracelets that even the most fashion conscious teenagers wouldn't mind wearing. Then it was all about searching for little nasty things growing on the skin.

Sushi

Ema

Finally a thread that is actually about dermatology (which is what my brain sees every single time the demonology thread pops up in New Posts)!

Hope you are scary mole free!

alex3619

Finally a thread that is actually about dermatology (which is what my brain sees every single time the demonology thread pops up in New Posts)!

I actually thought this was the demonology thread for a second, lol.

More and more docs are aware of dysautonomia. I think its reached the point where in a decade most docs will not be clueless. Now we just need that to happen for ME.

SDSue

Southeast
This gave the perfect opening for me when he saw and commented on my medic alert bracelet that says "Dysautonomia."
Great idea! May I ask what else is on your bracelet ….. Seems that wearing a dysautonomia medic alert bracelet would elevate this condition to "real" in the eyes of docs in many situations, both emergent and routine.

Glad you found a good doc!

Sushi

Great idea! May I ask what else is on your bracelet ….. Seems that wearing a dysautonomia medic alert bracelet would elevate this condition to "real" in the eyes of docs in many situations, both emergent and routine.

It also says "see wallet card," which is a red packet from File of Life (they have that system in Florida where I used to live). In that is a list of all my meds, names of docs with their cards, a printout of what not to do to a dysautonomia patient, and a short description of what it is.

Sushi

JAM

Jill
It also says "see wallet card," which is a red packet from File of Life (they have that system in Florida where I used to live). In that is a list of all my meds, names of docs with their cards, a printout of what not to do to a dysautonomia patient, and a short description of what it is.

Sushi
What is it?

Gingergrrl

@Ema that is so funny b/c every time I see the demonology thread in New Posts, I also think it says dermatology!!! Good to know that someone else's brain is working like mine LOL.

@Sushi at some point I am going to look at all the dysautonomia websites that have been recommended to me and it is on my long to do list! So glad you saw a good doctor today!

Sushi

So a fancy word for POTS? Interesting. Thank you.

POTSplace is the name of the site but it covers all forms of dysautonomia. For me it is Orthostatic Intolerance in the form of Neurally Mediated Hypotension.

Sushi

alex3619

POTSplace is the name of the site but it covers all forms of dysautonomia. For me it is Orthostatic Intolerance in the form of Neurally Mediated Hypotension.

Sushi
On one of the recent Stockholm videos they pointed out there are actually people with ME/CFS who have both POTS and NMH. That was a surprise to me.

xchocoholic

Before he entered the examination room I heard him comment that he needed to drink some water cause he was seeing spots when he stood up. Then he added, "I learned that in medical school. :rofl:"

This gave the perfect opening for me when he saw and commented on my medic alert bracelet that says "Dysautonomia." He then then offered and brought me a glass of water, saying he used to be a waiter.:thumbsup:

When he later needed to give a lidocaine injection he knew to give one without epinephrine. Maybe I am lucky but I have met a lot of docs lately who know something about dysautonomia.

Sushi

Great to hear. We need more doctors aware of dysautonomia.

I'm confused as to why he thinks taking a drink of water will stop him from seeing spots when he stands up tho. Maybe it was electrolyte water ? I've been getting this the last couple of days and I'm drinking plenty of water.

Ideas ? X