• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about kidneys and strain

optimist

Hi!

These days I am consuming a fair dose of salt, 400mg magnezium and up to several grams of C-Vitamins. All of them are said to be secreted out by the kidneys when in excess. My question is - can a high dosage of these and similar products wear out the kidneys?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Consuming these substances won't wear out your kidneys. As long as your kidneys are functioning fine, you should have no problems. The problems arise when your kidneys are not already functioning well and you introduce substances that the kidneys have to clear from the body. For instance, if your kidneys were already impaired, you would retain magnesium and sodium.

With respect to C-Vitamins, it's best to use ascorbate salts such as magnesium ascorbate, calcium ascorbate, etc. Plain ascorbic acid will leach minerals from your body and then lead to low mineral levels.

The standard for determining the functional ability of your kidneys is to have a blood creatinine test, and then calculate the GFR (glomerular filtration rate) from there. A GFR of at least 90 is optimal; if it's less than 60 you should be careful about introducing excess magnesium and sodium, and consulting a doctor is best in that case. Between 60 and 90 you're still probably OK at the levels you are taking. GFR levels are fairly stable within a range of + 10 points, so a creatinine you had a year ago would still be OK to look at.

Here's an online GFR calculator: http://www.qxmd.com/calculate-online/nephrology/mdrd-egfr

optimist

As far as I know, they are working very fine :) So it is very good to hear that it is not wearing on them!

Ascorbate salts is totally new to me. Not sure if we have those here where I live - but worth checking out! Does C-Vitamin lower all minerals, or just some?

Thanks for the link!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Ascorbate salts is totally new to me. Not sure if we have those here where I live - but worth checking out! Does C-Vitamin lower all minerals, or just some?

Mineral ascorbates shouldn't be too hard to find in a health food store:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_ascorbates

Look for Vitamin C products that list the following ingredients:
Calcium ascorbate
Magnesium ascorbate
Potassium ascorbate
Sodium ascorbate (not the best choice since your body has more need for the minerals I listed above)

Here's an example of a good product:
http://www.vitacost.com/productResu...SR=1&Ntt=Source Naturals Ultimate Ascorbate C

I recall reading that can plain Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in excessive amounts, can leach the minerals you need to maintain healthy bones, such as calcium and magnesium. A naturopath recommended to me that I not take more than 2000mg per day of Vitamin C, due to this very problem. I developed some stress fractures in my feet around the time I was taking a lot of Vitamin C, years ago, and I blame it on my Vitamin C intake. The radiologist who saw my foot films asked me what had I been doing to my feet!