• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Live 'Wild Snail' Fundraiser For Dr Lipkin's Microbediscovery Project! 21st-22nd Nov.

aimossy

The Microbe Discovery Project welcomes you to a global, all-access, multi-session crowdfunding event! November 21st-22nd!

A live audio book reading and Q&A with Elisabeth Tova Bailey, author of the internationally acclaimed book "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating." Find out more about the book and Elisabeth here: www.elisabethtovabailey.net.
This is a fundraising event to support the Microbe Discovery Project crowdfund for crucial gut microbiome research in ME/CFS. The project website is here: www.microbediscovery.org

"The gut microbiome is at the heart of medical research on autoimmune disease and it holds great potential for future diagnosis and treatment options in ME/CFS. Dr. Lipkin's research is critical cutting edge work—we simply must fund this project".
--Elisabeth Tova Bailey.

The event takes place on google hangout this Friday 21st Nov and Saturday 22nd, USA Eastern Standard Time!

We hope that listeners will please make voluntary donations to The Microbe Discovery Project for enjoying these sessions. Your tax-deductable donation can be made through Columbia University's secure site: www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin

Elisabeth will share aspects of her extraordinary story. While bedridden with ME/CFS, she began to observe a wild forest snail that took up residence in a flowerpot at her bedside. This tiny companion brought her solace and the interspecies friendship helped her survive a difficult time.

Elisabeth will give a series of live audio readings accompanied by slides and a Q&A.To send questions for her to answer during sessions, please e-mail them ASAP to etovabaileymicrobediscovery@gmail.com or on Twitter using hashtag #snailathon

Dates and times for these sessions(convert time for your own country):

Friday 11/21 9pm EST Topic: Wild Snail Discovery http://bit.ly/1EUuRQe

Saturday 11/22 9am EST Topic: Time and Microcosm http://bit.ly/11xBdJ0

Saturday 11/22 12pm EST Topic: Teeth, Tentacles, and Slime http://bit.ly/14Kq20X

Saturday 11/22 4pm EST Topic: Sleeping, Eating, and Snail Romance http://bit.ly/1HdBDV8[/QUOTE
snail.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Bob

Getting an endorsement from EO Wilson is no small feat. :)
Actually, I think EO Wilson is the reviewer of Elisabeth Tova Bailey's book.
(The image is a copy of the book cover - Not a special image for the live event.)
EO Wilson is not involved in our live event.

Elisabeth Tova Bailey is doing the book readings. :)

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Actually, I think EO Wilson is the reviewer of Elisabeth Tova Bailey's book.
EO Wilson is not involved in our project, to my knowledge.
(The image is a copy of the book cover - Not a special image for the live event.)

Elisabeth Tova Bailey is doing the book readings. :)
I think Sean meant that it was quite a feat for Tovey (edited: er.... I mean Tova Bailey) to get an endorsement from E.O. Wilson. The same thought went through my head as soon as I saw the quotation. I was impressed and immediately thought "Wow! I must read that."

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Sean, I misunderstood you!

BTW, who is EO Wilson?

Who is EO Wilson!!!!? I nearly fell to the floor. But seriously he is someone most people have never heard of but to my mind, and quite a few others, the person who understands the evolution of social animals, and probably evolution as a whole, better than any other human being. A true pioneer and a complete one off.

And even if indirect, making connections is what raising awareness is all about.

Bob

Who is EO Wilson!!!!? I nearly fell to the floor. But seriously he is someone most people have never heard of but to my mind, and quite a few others, the person who understands the evolution of social animals, and probably evolution as a whole, better than any other human being. A true pioneer and a complete one off.
Hehe... Thank you... I've always been interested in evolution as well, including the social aspects of evolution, but I've still never heard of him!

NK17

This is an amazing and wonderful idea to help Dr. Lipkin and the Microbiome Project raise more much needed funds.

I've read E Tova Bailey's book and found it a delightful read full of wisdom about life in general, its mysteries and about nature and time, or I'd better say about the human perception of time which is dramatically altered by ME.

I've passed my copy to some dear friends and their reaction was one of a deeper understanding and grasping of our condition, as well as a disbelief for the neglect of our suffering.

I'm also aware that Dr. Oliver Sacks, the author of Awakening, The Man who Mistook his wife for a hat and Musicophilia, has personally reviewed The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating on his blog and gifted it to his friends and is a big fan of E Tova Bailey.

I wonder if we can get Dr. Sacks in touch with Dr. Lipkin and Elizabeth Tova Bailey; maybe he can help our cause.

One of my quirks is connecting dots, because everything is interconnected, all living and non living beings are.
So when @Jonathan Edwards spoke of bees in regards of E O Wilson, I could not help but think that they suffer of the misterious Colony Collapse Disorder, which takes us back to ME and the reason why we are advocating and trying to raise funds for Dr. Lipkin's study.

Last edited:

NK17

On the subject of connecting dots and docs, I've managed to alert via Twitter the Microbiome Project about Dr. Oliver Sacks' admiration for E Tova Bailey's book.
I hope that he will respond and get involved to support our cause.

vli

Would anyone offer to write or tweet Dr. Sacks to hopefully have him tweet about this event? He has 80.5K followers...

NK17

Would anyone offer to write or tweet Dr. Sacks to hopefully have him tweet about this event? He has 80.5K followers...
Whomever is in charge of the Microbiome Project's Twitter account has done that, but the more the merrier ;)

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
They care for their sister's babies. Wilson points out that the theory that this has to do with haploid genomes is not up to much. After all, women often care for their sister's babies even if meerkats tend to eat them.
o_O I'm very confused. I'm trying to figure out which word I need to substitute for what in your final sentence. Help!

Sean

EO Wilson and Oliver Sacks!

I'm so shallow and easily impressed by celebrity science that I just bought it on that basis alone. :D

(Australians can buy it here, price $23.)

How come we have not heard of this book before? Or did I miss that thread?

Her writing reminds me of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard, which is one of my all time favourite books, and one of the very few I have re-read.

If we can get Wilson and Sacks onside,… well, that is the kind of support that campaigners' dreams are made of.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
o_O I'm very confused. I'm trying to figure out which word I need to substitute for what in your final sentence. Help!

I took that to mean that humans care for their sisters' babies, but meerkats eat their sisters' babies. :nervous::eek: