• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amalgam replacement or tooth extraction?

LisaGoddard

I need to have an amalgam-filled tooth treated for a cavity underneath the filling.

The dentist is willing to remove the filling using the rubber dam method which minimizes my exposure to mercury, and then replace it with a ceramic filling.
Would it be better for me just to have the tooth extracted? I'm assuming that this will also result in some mercury being released.

Any advice please?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Hard to say. If you get to be missing teeth and the ones on the opposite jaw have nothing to hit against, this can also cause problems. It's possible to get bridges or implants, but this is more stuff to put in the mouth, and expensive.

(Columbia has a new deal where they can put a limited amount of material in your mouth to recruit your own stem cells to grow a new tooth, though--last I heard they were teaching this to new dentists and it should eventually catch on and replace older methods, as it sounded cheaper and longer lasting... apparently they are doing this at University of Michigan, too... I saw a headline title that researchers were growing new teeth in UK, but it was video so I didn't look at it)

sregan

I need to have an amalgam-filled tooth treated for a cavity underneath the filling.

The dentist is willing to remove the filling using the rubber dam method which minimizes my exposure to mercury, and then replace it with a ceramic filling.
Would it be better for me just to have the tooth extracted? I'm assuming that this will also result in some mercury being released.

Any advice please?

It's always good to have your own teeth. I would find an IAOMT dentist to have the filling removed or at least one that is willing and has the machines to follow the protocol. Then get the ceramic. I had my last 2 removed about 2 years ago by Dr Dressler in Atlanta and now have ceramic. My insurance paid most of it.

Replace it with ceramic, unless it's so big and deep that they are suggesting root canal. Don't get a traditional root canal.

LisaGoddard

Thanks for the replies. I really like the idea of growing my own tooth! I'm going to ask the dentist about that but I'm probably unlikely to get it on the UK's national health service. Ceramic seems to be a good option.

Thanks. I've heard that root canals are bad things to have. I didn't realise that there are good versions of them. What would a good root canal involve?

I can't explain it myself, but here is one link off google, which should help you find more information if you want more after reading. http://www.mitchmarderdds.com/services/root-canal-seattle-therapy/

I don't know if they are good, but I feel they are much less bad. I would only do this if I needed one.