• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B vitamins

Hello all :)

Im preparing to start Freds B12 protocol. I want to mix my own B Vit and was hoping to solicit some sage advice on different forms of Bs ;)

B1 - Im currently taking lipothiamine - fat soluble B1 (50mgs per day) - based on a doctors recommendation
B2 - Any differences or advantages of coenzymated B2 (FMN) over normal B2 for methylation purposes?
B3 - Slow release Niacin or niacinamide?
B6 - P-5-P or normal B6 and what is the minimum dosage range for supporting methylation? I noticed the nature made B with C only has 5mg of B6
B5 - any difference between panthothenic acid versus panthonine?

How important are co factors inositiol, choline, PABA, biotin etc?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate you sharing your hard earned wisdom - with an emphasis on hard earned ;)

Gondwanaland

I want to mix my own B Vit
That is a great idea :thumbsup:

Each person's need is really very individual... I suggest you do some trials... Besides that, every B vit will impact other B vit and minerals are tightly connected. I recommend studying this site for the interactions: http://www.acu-cell.com/acn.html it work really well for me. Unfortunately they don't list the synergists and antagonists for the B vitamins, so you have to read the mineral section extensively.

You will also notice that your needs for a specific vitamin or mineral will change overtime, it is a never-ending learn process.

izzy

P.S.
BTW I vote for Niacin. I know the body can convert it to Nicotinamide, not sure about the other way around.

Last edited:

Victronix

I do the separate Bs because I can't tolerate mfolate/folinic (and don't want to take folic acid) and cannot have any extra B6 or I get into trouble (you can actually get a huge amount of B-6 from a lot of the things that I regularly eat, like bananas, pistachios and shitake mushrooms). I don't have answers to your questions but one thing Fredd has pointed out is that people tend to take too high dosages of Bs and then have increased need for potassium.

I got the mostly coenzymated versions and then I cut them up into quarters and take them twice a day. At some point I may try increasing them. I take biotin along with B1, B2, Niacin, Nicotinamide, and Pantothenic acid. I got some inositol/choline but haven't added it yet.

One thing I found with taking a B-multi was that they can change the formula and there is no notification, so suddenly you can be taking something in there you didn't realize. That happened to me with mfolate and it really messed me up. In another B-multi I didn't realize how high the B6 was, and ended up maxed out on it and reacting. It really is better for me to be able to control the Bs. It's a nuisance to cut the pills, but I just do it about 1x a week or less and keep them in a pill dispensor, with different Bs in each day box.

helen1

I do the same as Victronix as i seem very sensitive to the niacins halting methylation and causing sleep problems (amongst other problems) from that, so i take very little of the B3s. Most multis have a lot more B3 than my methylation can handle. I also like to keep B6 lower than most multis offer.

Thank you all. This is very very helpful.

@Victronix would you mind sharing what brands you are using of the b1, b2 and b3 and the dosages you take (just to get a starting point ;)
@Gondwanaland. I'm glad you vote for niacin. I was leaning in that direction.

Victronix

All of mine are Source Naturals, all in 1/3 or 1/4 dosages of those listed since I divide them up. I just swallow the sublingual ones.

B-1 - coenzymated, sublingual, 16 mg
B-2 - coenzymated, sublingual, 18 mg
Pantothenic Acid, tablets, 250 mg + 22 mg of calcium
Biotin, tablets, 600 mcg
Niacinamide, tablets, 100 mg and alternate with Niacin, tablets, 100 mg, 21 mg of calcium

Coming up next is inositol and choline . . .

Last edited:

NilaJones

I've been struggling with the 'roll your own' B vitamins, too.

I started out taking a little bit of everything, but was overstimulated and had insomnia. Trying to figure out which was the culprit, I took just one kind each day, in rotation. But the answer seems to be that they ALL overstimulate me. (Except niacin -- I have not been including it due to previous bad experience.

Soooo... I am not sure whether to continue my current rotation method, or try even tinier quantities. OR add some niacin :).

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I found that the advice to keep B1, b2 and B3 low is probably good advice. I was taking a multivitamin with relatively high Bs and I got over stimulated. Doing much better on low B blends