• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Atlantic Article: Let's give them some traffic

alex3619

A limited article but still not too bad.

They miss that we have had the capacity to objectively verify ME since 1949, though this only began to be formally recognized in 2007. I am of course referring to the 2 day CPET, which should be an obvious if highly problematic test to do, but historically it was ignored. They also miss the thousands of other findings, which is typical.

Bob

Even though it's a sympathetic article, I'm not too keen on it; It's rather shallow on detail and it seems to unintentionally reinforce the ideas that it's purporting to rebut, because of the way it's written. That was my first impression on reading it anyway. The first comment after the article is atrocious but there are some really excellent quality comments after that.

Sidereal

Woeful article written by a sociology graduate student. I can think of dozens of studies more significant than this one showing that CFS is "a real thing". So many articles have come out in the aftermath of the Stanford brain imaging paper with passive aggressive headlines that only reinforce stereotypes.

I think the author had good intentions but simply didn't do sufficient research on the topic.

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Make sure to bump up this thread regularly to remind people over the next few days.

By that do you mean to comment so that it comes up higher on the list?

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
So far there have been 106 comments, mostly from people with ME/CFS. No telling how many letters to the author. Now would be a good time to add your 2 cents.