• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insomnia worse on Vitamin D3 - Help

Avalon

I posted a few weeks ago on my Nutreval results and it said I was deficient in Vitamin D and I read that it can improve insomnia by raising the converted form 25-OH vitamin d to between 60 to 70 ng/ml. I have insomnia.

So I decided to take a 1/4 a tablet a day of Solgar 1000iu. Initially I felt ok, quite relaxed feeling during the day, sleep seemed better and reduction in fibromalgia in my arms. I then increased to 1/2 tablet but noticed more intestinal upset and slight increase in acid reflux, but I also noticed that my sleep was deteriorating with slight increase in wake ups. Two weeks had gone by, so I decided to switch to Twin Labs 1000IU d3 +k2 sublingual dots to counter upset stomach, my sleep deteriorated further with multiple wake ups, a significant increase fibromyalgia in arms and mentally very unrefreshed, this is a sure sign I am not getting deep sleep (this was confirmed by my Basis watch hynogram chart).
I stopped supplementing vitamin D3 and my sleep has improved with a lot less wake/arousals.
One thing that did improve when supplementing with Vitamin D3 were my facial rashes, that just disappeared!!. However, they are now back!

Is anyone else very sensitive to vitamin d3? I note that 25-OH vitamin D (storage) can be low but 1,25 vitamin D (active) can be high. It also seems that it my be altering my neurotransmitters. This might be the problem, any ideas as I was hoping that Vitamin D3 would improve my existing insomnia.

Also I am taking HB12 1000mcg sublingual a day, plus B6 5mg daily.

Last edited:

sregan

I posted a few weeks ago on my Nutreval results and it said I was deficient in Vitamin D and I read that it can improve insomnia by raising the converted form 25-OH vitamin d to between 60 to 70 ng/ml. I have insomnia.

One thing that did improve when supplementing with Vitamin D3 were my facial rashes, that just disappeared!!. However, they are now back!

Is anyone else very sensitive to vitamin d3? I note that 25-OH vitamin D (storage) can be low but 1,25 vitamin D (active) can be high. It also seems that it my be altering my neurotransmitters. This might be the problem, any ideas as I was hoping that Vitamin D3 would improve my existing insomnia.

Also I am taking HB12 1000mcg sublingual a day, plus B6 5mg daily.

The skin improvement is a good sign. This happened with my Sister In law after I gave her some "dry" D3 not from fish. I think it was Twinlab.

The D3 might be having an immune effect especially if you notice a change in your BM. If you suffer from bacterial gut issues the the increased toxin release could be effecting your sleep. I know this for a fact when it happens to me. I feel much better after that morning movement. You can add a binder before bed and see if that help.

Avalon

The skin improvement is a good sign. This happened with my Sister In law after I gave her some "dry" D3 not from fish. I think it was Twinlab.

The D3 might be having an immune effect especially if you notice a change in your BM. If you suffer from bacterial gut issues the the increased toxin release could be effecting your sleep. I know this for a fact when it happens to me. I feel much better after that morning movement. You can add a binder before bed and see if that help.

D3 is definitely playing with neurotransmitters at night, I do believe toxins can affect the mind, I felt them when I took very high strength probiotcs. On Vit d3 I do not feel toxins during the day. It seems that anything above 400iu I have a problem! BTW what is a 'binder' ?

Avalon

Gondwanaland

@Avalon
Im my case vit D supplementation worsened magnesium deficiency. After I finally found a form of magnesium I was able to tolerate, I could repair this imbalance. It is important to watch out for further imbalances with calcium for instance. I don't supplement with calcium and at some point I reduced my magnesium intake and right now I have stopped it altogether.

Luckily right now I am able to tolerate dairy again (yogut, curd and cheese) for calcium. I suspect magnesium deficiency was making me dairy intolerant!

Avalon

@Avalon
Im my case vit D supplementation worsened magnesium deficiency. After I finally found a form of magnesium I was able to tolerate, I could repair this imbalance. It is important to watch out for further imbalances with calcium for instance. I don't supplement with calcium and at some point I reduced my magnesium intake and right now I have stopped it altogether.

Luckily right now I am able to tolerate dairy again (yogut, curd and cheese) for calcium. I suspect magnesium deficiency was making me dairy intolerant!

@Gondwanaland I have problems with magnesium as well, I take intermittently by way of a spray. My Nutreval test said I was not deficient in magnesium., I am glad you take diary, I currently using almond milk, which is fortified with calcium. Its really frustrating with Vitamin D, its seems to be that I am over dosing at between 400iu to 1200 iu a day. I also note my body temps went down as well (keep daily log as per Dr Rind temp chart).

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Is it a blood test? What was the test result?

A lot of things can deplete the magnesium on a daily basis. I wouldn't get any better if it wasn't for the magnesium.

Lack of magnesium impairs the liver pathways and decreases conversion from T4 to T3.

Can you please post a link to your results and current protocol and symptoms? (if you don't mind me giving you my interpretation)

sregan

D3 is definitely playing with neurotransmitters at night, I do believe toxins can affect the mind, I felt them when I took very high strength probiotcs. On Vit d3 I do not feel toxins during the day. It seems that anything above 400iu I have a problem! BTW what is a 'binder' ?

D3 for me will induce brain fog, which I believe is happening because it's messing with gut bacteria.

One positive I've notices for D3 is that it always helps me sleep and increases dream (or dream recall). The only other thing that has such a pronounced effect on dreams (for me) is B6/p5p.

Did you say you were taking Twinlabs "non fish" version of D3?

Gondwanaland

D3 for me will induce brain fog, which I believe is happening because it's messing with gut bacteria.
Either that or induced electrolyte imbalance
One positive I've notices for D3 is that it always helps me sleep and increases dream (or dream recall). The only other thing that has such a pronounced effect on dreams (for me) is B6/p5p.
It's the first time I hear that about vit D. I know about B6, and about the several reports from the folks doing the resistant starch. To me happened when I took mB12 and again when I supplemented magnesium. I think it's related to adequate mineral absorption and metabolization for neurotransmitter generation...

L'engle

moogle
Vitamin D cause me major insomnia problems and also causes parathyroid pain and calcium/magnesium imbalance. I have very low tolerance for vitamin D, even from food or light sources. Everyone's different. Vitamin D helps some people hugely.

Avalon

Is it a blood test? What was the test result?

A lot of things can deplete the magnesium on a daily basis. I wouldn't get any better if it wasn't for the magnesium.

Lack of magnesium impairs the liver pathways and decreases conversion from T4 to T3.

Can you please post a link to your results and current protocol and symptoms? (if you don't mind me giving you my interpretation)

@Gondwanaland, sorry for the late reply, had major brain fog again!!, my protocol is low and slow Riches.

1. 1000 mcg Hydroxy B12 morning
2. Zinc 4mg Morning
3. B6 5mg Lunch time
4. Calcium 120 mg at night
5. Thorne IV multivitamin once every 5 days

I have attached my Nutreval results, I'm borderline deficient for B12, folate (even though I had been taking methyl B12 and methyl folate (very very small dose) for a month prior to the Nutreval test. The above zinc,B6 and calcium are new additions as recommended by the Nutreval results. What do you think?

Attachments

• Nutreval results edited.pdf
    542.2 KB · Views: 15

Avalon

Did you say you were taking Twinlabs "non fish" version of D3?

@sregan, thanks for you reply, sorry for the late reply, had really bad brain fog again!. I now realise how much gut bacteria can affect your brain cognition!, you are lucky to be able to handle vitamin D, I seem to be ok at a certain low dosage, if go above 500 IU. A full 1000iu tablet my sleep just goes down the pan. I read a lot of research that indicates that if you have insomnia the culprit could be a deficiency in vitamin D3 (I'm deficient in vitamin D) and that the target dose is between 50 and 70 ng.ml. Well I was taking initially Solgar 1000iu, 1/4-1/2 tablet then tried Twinlabs dots 1000iu Vit D3 + K2, one sublingual tablet a day, I did accidentally take a 1/2 Solgar tablet as well. Any way my sleep nose dived, contact wakes, particularly during REM sleep, fibromyalgia worsened.

Avalon

Vitamin D cause me major insomnia problems and also causes parathyroid pain and calcium/magnesium imbalance. I have very low tolerance for vitamin D, even from food or light sources. Everyone's different. Vitamin D helps some people hugely.

@L'engle, sorry for the late reply, have you been tested for vitamin D deficiency ?

Gondwanaland

Have you checked for Boron deficiency?

Gondwanaland

@Avalon sorry those results are too complex for my fogged brain!

Well, as for your symptoms, I would check for boron, magnesium and calcium imbalances induced by the supplementation...

Gondwanaland

Be sure to check the vitamin-mineral interactions:
http://www.acu-cell.com/acn2.html
http://www.acu-cell.com/b.html

Even though the author doesn't cite study references, I trust this info b/c found to be true thru my personal experimentation.