• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methyl donors and changes in body temperature

I'm starting this new thread to see if anyone can help me get some insight into what is happening with my body when I'm taking on too many methyl donors.

When I am having the symptoms of overmethylating - irritability, paranoia, rage, inflammation, insomnia, head pressure - my temperature also goes up. When my temps creep up over 98.6 I know to take my niacin to knock everything back down. Sometimes I haven't caught it until I'm up to 99.5. The niacin lowers my temps, and gets rid of the rest of my symptoms.

Someone on the Yasko forum attributed this temperature rise to detox, but I don't think niacin would be able to turn it off that quickly (within about 20 minutes). Someone else suggested mild serotonin syndrome. I'm wondering if anyone else has any theories. Does it have something to do with my thyroid, adrenals, hypothalamus?

Any ideas?

Victronix

When I first started on B-12 my temp went up. That only went on for a few days however. But I don't think it's detox. I do have a thyroid disorder, so I attributed it to that.

caledonia

I've had this happening recently. I feel hot and somewhat sweaty, but I've taken my temp and it's normal. Based on my need for electrolytes reducing and my sleep getting better, I believe the heat is related to the adrenals.

However, while I'm feeling hot, even though my temp seems normal, I do have an elevated heart rate of about 82 and an elevated blood pressure of 126/87 - usually I have the typical low ME type blood pressure, less than 120/80.

I have also had my thyroid come back to normal. I don't remember if I felt hot during that time, but my overall temp has gone from 96.8 to somewhere in the 98's.

I've had a small improvement energy/Kreb's cycle, about 5%. So I can't really say if this is due to a rise in metabolic rate or not. Haven't lost any weight.

I've OD'd on methyl supps enough to get metal detox dumps and the symptoms for me are flu-like aches, extra tired, anxiety, depression, etc. Not hot - if anything, feeling cold.

So I'm going to have to say thyroid or adrenals, and that methylation and niacin can turn it on and off that fast, as it's a signaling problem. There's nothing actually wrong with either gland.

Avalon

I know my metabolic rate increases after B12 supplementation, as I feel cold, it's strange I know, when I take my temp its above 98C or above, however when I feel hot bazaarly its below, invariably 97.1 C. My temps have always been below 97.5c prior to B12 supps.

Thank you for your responses.. @caledonia, thank you for the clarification around detox. I didn't think detox would turn off and on that quickly. If it's a signaling problem then maybe that would be the hypothalamus. ? I was thinking maybe it was that.

I am thinking, also, that periods of overmethylation (I've had two that took almost a week to calm down, even with niacin) make the thyroid work harder, and then that taxes the adrenals.

caledonia

Thank you for your responses.. @caledonia, thank you for the clarification around detox. I didn't think detox would turn off and on that quickly. If it's a signaling problem then maybe that would be the hypothalamus. ? I was thinking maybe it was that.

I am thinking, also, that periods of overmethylation (I've had two that took almost a week to calm down, even with niacin) make the thyroid work harder, and then that taxes the adrenals.

Yes, if I'm remembering how it all works correctly, the signaling starts somewhere in the hypothalmus/pituitary and that goes to the thyroid and adrenals - the good ol' HPA Axis or HPAT Axis as it's sometimes called.

Rich Vank hypothesized that glutathione was involved in the signaling, so low glutathione would cause a problem with signaling, and raising glutathione would make it work better.