• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor that prescribes vancomyacin?

Charles555nc

MAIN question: Anyone know a lyme doctor willing to treat chronic lyme with IV Vancomyacin and/or Daptomyacin?

Ive tried beating down my chronic lyme as much as possible,
1. Low fat diet, DMSA, EDTA strips biofilms.
2. Correcting zinc deficiency
3. Correcting vitamin D deficiency
4. Selenium, iodine, molybdenum supplementation
5. Tindamax
6. LDN (low dose naltrexone) and methylation supplements.
7. Resveratrol/organic grape juice.
8. IV antibiotics years ago.

Just paid 850$ to see Dr Jemsek in D.C. and got an advertisement for "probiotics" and artemisin...I am/was pretty pissed off and for only 300$ more dollars I can get a phone consultation! After a couple 1000 dollars in lab tests!

Little help? re:
MAIN question: Anyone know a lyme doctor willing to treat chronic lyme with IV Vancomyacin and/or Daptomyacin?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Charles555nc
sorry to hear that Charles, I had read a lot about the clinic, some good and some bad, it seems $30k is the price for a months stay.
Why have you decided you want Vancomycin for Lyme? Just answered my own question.. found the following from the great JB, old stuff (1996) but who cares.

"Twenty one patients with severe chronic Lyme disease unresponsive to more conventionally used oral and parenteral antibiotics were prescribed standard doses of vancomycin using a pulsed dosing schedule. Two patients had to drop out due to allergic reactions. Of the nineteen remaining patients, eighteen had a favorable response; in eleven the response was significantly greater than with any other agent previously used. In two such patients there was no apparent cure. None of these nineteen patients had any treatment related reactions, signs of nephro- or ototoxicity, or significant superinfections.
I conclude that vancomycin may be a safe and effective alternative for treating patients with severe, resistant Lyme disease when other agents have failed."

Charles555nc

Y
@Charles555nc
"Twenty one patients with severe chronic Lyme disease unresponsive to more conventionally used oral and parenteral antibiotics were prescribed standard doses of vancomycin using a pulsed dosing schedule. Two patients had to drop out due to allergic reactions. Of the nineteen remaining patients, eighteen had a favorable response; in eleven the response was significantly greater than with any other agent previously used. In two such patients there was no apparent cure. None of these nineteen patients had any treatment related reactions, signs of nephro- or ototoxicity, or significant superinfections.
I conclude that vancomycin may be a safe and effective alternative for treating patients with severe, resistant Lyme disease when other agents have failed."

Yeah that's the link I was going to post. Sounds amazing, doesnt it? Burrascano seems more cutting edge than Jemsek, or maybe I'm just too poor to get treatment from Jemsek. I felt like I could help Jemsek lose weight, the guy has gotten obese since I last saw him.

I forgot to mention that Jemsek told me Xylitol was his "go to" item for biofilms...but I had already tried Xylitol for exactly that. So three suggestions and 3 things I had already tried...I wish they had been more honest about their practice, but I guess 850$ is too much money to turn down.

Every place I ever been to that charges that much has been a complete scam.

Hanna

There was a recent study about ABX that are more efficient on persistent Lyme. Among the ones that were cited, there was vancomycin.

"We identified 165 agents approved for use in other disease conditions that had more activity than doxycycline and amoxicillin against B. burgdorferi persisters. The top 27 drug candidates from the 165 hits were confirmed to have higher anti-persister activity than the current frontline antibiotics. Among the top 27 confirmed drug candidates from the 165 hits, daptomycin, clofazimine, carbomycin, sulfa drugs (e.g., sulfamethoxazole), and certain cephalosporins (e.g. cefoperazone) had the highest anti-persister activity.

In addition, some drug candidates, such as daptomycin and clofazimine (which had the highest activity against non-growing persisters), had relatively poor activity or a high minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) against growing B. burgdorferi. Our findings may have implications for the development of a more effective treatment for Lyme disease and for the relief of long-term symptoms that afflict some Lyme disease patients."

http://doi.org/10.1038/emi.2014.53

Free, full text of this Open Access article (1.4MB):
http://www.nature.com/emi/journal/v3/n7 ... 01453a.pdf

My English is a little too weak (and I am too exhasted too) for this, so I will just recall the conclusion that I read on a post from the French Lyme forum (FranceLyme) : the more stars, the best.
Daptomycin ****
Clofazimine, Carbomycin, Cefoperazone, ***
Cefotiacer **
Vancomycin *

@Charles555nc , very sorry for your bad experience :( . So difficult to find the right doc.

Daffodil

Hi Charles. If you want to call the shots, I would suggest a Naturopath with the ability to prescribe antibiotics. I think Az allows this, and WA...maybe others.

Charles555nc

Hi Charles. If you want to call the shots, I would suggest a Naturopath with the ability to prescribe antibiotics. I think Az allows this, and WA...maybe others.

I am perfectly willing to let the doctor decide the amount of antibiotic based on my body weight. I just want control over everything else :D is that your point? lul.

Seems like daptomyacin and vancomyacin have actually alot of good info re persistent lyme. Not sure why this seems so hard to obtain.

kungfudao

5. Tindamax

Just paid 850$ to see Dr Jemsek in D.C. and got an advertisement for "probiotics" and artemisin...I am/was pretty pissed off and for only 300$ more dollars I can get a phone consultation! After a couple 1000 dollars in lab tests!

Little help? re:

kungfudao

I'm a little confused. I've always liked Jemsek, but never seen him.He does a lot with public speeches & lyme advocacy.
How much time did you get for that money? Did he say he wouldn't give you long term antibiotics or Daptomycin?
what about all the tests, do you have a followup? I always thought of him as the guy pickling people with antibiotics.

I too have paid a lot of money for appointments ,but they didn't hold back on antibiotics and my appointments were 1-1/2
hours long, They really tried to do there best. Its a tough disease. But I am still seeing another doctor now that charges much less.
I always have a treatment plan and research with me when I go there. the Doctor usually makes a few corrections gives me a handful of prescriptions and I'm out the door. I'm just now getting my dapto and more.
Sorry to hear of a bad experience with Dr Jemsek, But it is a little vague.But I couldn't pay that much if I wanted to. Good luck.
Dapto, Doxy and Carbenicillin had better results than vancomycin.(cefoperazone discontinued)

Last edited:

Daffodil

@Charles555nc hello! how are you doing? Did you ever take vancomycin? I apologize If we have already discussed this at some point lol

Do you think this drug or Daptomycin helps Lyme because it actually targets gut bacterial overgrowth? Enteroccocus for example?

xo
Daff

Antares in NYC

5. Tindamax

Little help? re:
Sorry to report that I I did almost two months of IV vancomycin recently and it didn't do anything for me. I'm starting to fear I'm beyond repair. We have tried several combinations of IV antibiotics and I'm not any better. I think We waited too long until a proper diagnosis, and now my immune system is so messed up that nothing makes a difference anymore.

Also, please, careful with the Vancomycin. It can cause irreversible deafness. Beware of that before you take it.