• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dry shampoo/hair mousse - any non-scented/toxic?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Does anyone use a dry shampoo? I've been training my hair to go longer between washings and I've found that dry shampoo can really help on the off days - especially if I need to be seen in public. I have been using a commercial spray-in product (very sparingly) that absolutely is not good for MCS but does do a nice job on the hair. I've tried using plain powder and, as my hair stylist suggested, cocoa powder (for brown hair) but I find them to be very messy and not easy to apply. I like the idea of using a food, but need a method to apply it so that I can target it to specific spots (similar to a spray form). I know many don't use anything at all, but for those who use a dry shampoo, any suggestions?

Also would love to find a hair mousse that doesn't illicit a reaction. I have very fine, limp hair and prefer to put a little something in there to give it a bit of volume on days that I do wash it and need to go out and be semi-presentable. I used to use a hair mousse that I didn't react to, but now it's no longer being made and I'm struggling to find a replacement

I thought i'd give this a try after reading about it on here as i have elbow to waist length hair.

I was nearly crying with laughter when i looked in the mirror to see full on grey hair, and i hadnt used much.

I'm still experimenting. It didnt cause a reaction for me but i'd still like to remain a brunette while i'm still in my 30's even if it means being a greasy one lol

ahmo

Cocoa...what a good idea. I use bicarb. Takes a bit of brushing to get it all out. Maybe you can make it into solution for applying in spots.

And I've just been trying a bit of aloe gel for dry ends. Gel" soak a tsp of flax/linseeds. makes a great gel. Some on GAPS forum were using gelatin, which would be stiffer. the flax gel keeps a few days in refrig.

I've recently gone to using only bicarb for hair and body wash. Rinsing w/ vinegar gets the residual out of hair. :)

perchance dreamer

I use Bumble and Bumble Dry Shampoo, and it seems to be unscented. There's not really a scent that I can tell.

It's good, and it adds body in addition to soaking up oil. The key is to use it sparingly in short bursts.

The color is nice. I get the one for brown hair, and it helps disguise my roots between salon visits.

I've also read good things about Klorane Dry Shampoo.

http://www.amazon.com/Klorane-Gentl...8&qid=1415305488&sr=1-10&keywords=dry+shampoo

The ingredients mention a scent, but the customers on AZ say it seems unscented.

Chemical sensitivities are such a pain. My husband recently got Febreze-scented garbage bags because they were the only ones available in the size we need.

I have a birthday coming up. I told my husband that the only thing I want is for him to get those things out of the house.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Wow - what an abundance of great replies, and a big chuckle to boot! :D

Thanks and I'll ck back in tomorrow when I have a bit more time to write.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I was nearly crying with laughter when i looked in the mirror to see full on grey hair, and i hadnt used much.

I'm still experimenting. It didnt cause a reaction for me but i'd still like to remain a brunette while i'm still in my 30's even if it means being a greasy one lol

Yep, me too! Totally grey and not all that easy to brush out of it :alien:

Last edited:

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Cocoa...what a good idea. I use bicarb. Takes a bit of brushing to get it all out. Maybe you can make it into solution for applying in spots.

And I've just been trying a bit of aloe gel for dry ends. Gel" soak a tsp of flax/linseeds. makes a great gel. Some on GAPS forum were using gelatin, which would be stiffer. the flax gel keeps a few days in refrig.

@ahmo

Hmmm bicarb, I haven't heard of that - does it work well at absorbing the oil? Probably could use a solution to apply but I guess it would need to dry quickly to be brushed out.

What a great idea for gel never thought of flaxseed/linseed or gelatin for that matter, I love it! That reminds me of a gluten-free bread that we were making, and it called for Psyllium Husks with water (to make up for the gluten) Well the dough just became this great big gelatinous mess by the time we were done with it. It was not appetizing to say the least. :D

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

@SpecialK82, you started the thread talking about going longer between washing your hair. I have baby fine, limp hair, too, and am able to go 5 sometimes 6 days without washing it.

I did wash it every day for a lot of my life, though. Fine hair can be oily because it clings to the scalp.

I've found the key is to lift it from my scalp as much as possible. I always wash my hair at night.

1. After washing with thickening shampoo, I let it air dry at least 1 1/2 hours. The styling products work better for me if my hair's damp, not real wet.

2. I then apply a strong mousse on the crown and a curling foam on the ends and blow dry the crown a few minutes with my head upside down part of the time. I don't get it all the way dry.

3. I then put all my hair up on top of my head in a scrunchie, twisting it around the scrunchie and looping the ends through it.

When I wake up, my hair has some body and is somewhat lifted off my scalp, or at least doesn't lie perfectly flat against it. It's also a little wavy. I sleep each night with it on top of my head to continue the effect.

My hair actually looks better on day 3 and 4 than when it's freshly washed. I think it needs a little build up to help the texture. I do use a dry shampoo on the last day.

My best friend has fine hair, too, but she washes it every morning and goes the whole 9 yards with twirling her hair around a round brush and doing all kinds of styling. It looks great, but I truly don't have the energy to screw with my hair that much.

Also, the finer points of hair styling, like applying foundation, are secret female arts I never learned. I'd rather just wad my hair on top of my head a la middle-aged Pebbles while I sleep.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks for the detailed hair-washing steps that you go through perchance. That makes sense that our hair is oily because it does just lie against the scalp all day - I've never though of it that way. Right now, I'm only able to skip one day but would love to build up to every 5 -6 like you! Your hair sounds so pretty when you wake up with wavy-ness through it. Is it wet in the morning still?

My hair is all cut up into layers so it's difficult to put up very easily but I'll have to think on how to try that. I totally agree - no energy to style hair, especially standing up. My hair-stylist still keeps telling me it doesn't take that much time....

I just thought of a tip a hair salon manager told me once. She washes her hair, dries it, and then applies dry shampoo to the roots right away. Then on successive days she just touches up with dry shampoo.
I tried this once but I couldn't tell a difference on day 2. I should give this another test though.

BTW - I love The Flintstones, lol, Pebbles is fine by me.

Gondwanaland

I used to wash my hair every other day b/c it got very oily close to the scalp. After serious magnesium supplementation this problem disappeared and now I can go a whole week w/o having to wash it.:thumbsup: I also need much less deodorant ;)

I guess i'm lucky in that i already only wash my hair every 5-7, but if i have the energy to clip my fringe part into a bump that definitely helps by raising it away from the scalp and prolongs it.

I guess i'm looking for a way to go longer than this especially during the winter time.

Because its so long it takes at least 20 mins drying it which destroys me or if i leave it to air i'm absolutely frozen.

If air drying i usually twist it all into a coiled spiral over my shoulder to stop me freezing to death and to stop the hair curling (naturally curly and very long are a nightmare after a week!)

Its at hair wash times that i really wish i was a man :bang-head: