• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gluthione Pre Cursor

Freddd

@Jay1218 Wow, I am actually suprised most of the time no one knows what t-nation is! Yeah sounds like you are doing everything right, but like freddd says I guess whey in a concentrated form can act as a methyl trap. Maybe there are certain blends or ways that it can be made to prevent this though.. Actually the brand name you mentioned sounds really promising for that.

As for folate deficiency I think that is very unlikely at the amount you use... B12 deficiency would be this

• weakness, tiredness or light-headedness
  • rapid heartbeat and breathing
  • pale skin
  • sore tongue
  • easy bruising or bleeding, including bleeding gums
  • stomach upset and weight loss
  • diarrhea or constipation
and later on you can get very bad neurological issues, dementia, psychosis, difficulty walking, and the like..

methyl folate would show

Loss of appetite and weight loss can occur. Additional signs are weakness, sore tongue, headaches, heart palpitations, irritability, and behavioral disorders.

Usually depression is a pretty big hallmark of folate deficiency..

Folate deficiency would show up in a blood test as anemia if it got low enough..

folate can mask the symptoms of b12 deficiency which would cause progressive neurological issues with no anemia, however I don't think b12 could cover folate deficiency too much.

Are you also currenty using L Carnatine Fumarate, and Ado b12?

Hi Martial,
Below is the list of typical potassium and folate deficiency symptoms that various people have at startup irrelevant of dose below the "enough" range which appears to vary between 1600 and 30,000 MCG dependent upon how much folic acid, folinic acid, veggie folates they have. No amount of methylfolate can overcome the methyltrap folate deficiency symptoms caused by whey, NAC or glutathione.

Version 1.2 12/08/2013

Group 1 – Hypokalemia onset. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with CyCbl (cyanocobalamin) it is very common with MeCbl (methylcobalamin) and AdoCbl (adenosylcobalamin) and less so with HyCbl (Hydroxycobalamin).

There does not appear to be a clear order of onset. The order of onset varies widely from person to person but many appear consistent for each episode for any given person. There tend to be more and more intense symptoms as it gets worse. Some people have ended up in the ER because of not recognizing the symptoms.

IBS – Steady constipation, Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum,

Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness

Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), increased pulse rate, increased blood pressure

Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.

Group 2a - Both

IBS – Diarrhea alternating with constipation, IBS – Normal alternating with constipation

Group 2b – Either or both

Headache, Increased malaise, Fatigue

Group 3 - Induced and/or Paradoxical Folate deficiency or insufficiency

These symptoms appear in 2 forms generally, the milder symptoms that start with partial methylation block and the more severe symptoms that come on as partial methylation block gets worse or very quickly with methyltrap onset.

Edema - An additional thing I would like to mention. I would never have found it without 5 years of watching the onset of paradoxical folate insufficiency and trying to catch it earlier and earlier and to figure out what was causing it and to reverse it. For me the onset order goes back to the day of onset now with edema and a sudden increase of weight. I noticed that within 2 hours of taking sufficient Metafolin I would have an increase in urine output.

Old symptoms returning

Edema

Angular Cheilitis, Canker sores,

Skin rashes, increased acne, Skin peeling around fingernails, Skin cracking and peeling at fingertips,

Increased hypersensitive responses, Runny nose, Increased allergies, Increased Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Increased asthma, rapidly increasing Generalized inflammation in body, Increased Inflammation pain in muscles, Increased Inflammation pain in joints, Achy muscles, Flu like symptoms

IBS – Steady diarrhea, IBS – Diarrhea alternating with normal, Stomach ache, Uneasy digestive tract,

Coated tongue, Depression, Less sociable, Impaired planning and logic, Brain fog, Low energy, Light headedness, Sluggishness, Increase irritability, Heart palpitations,

Longer term, very serious

Loss of reflexes, Fevers, Forgetfulness, Confusion, Difficulty walking, Behavioral disorders, Dementia, Reduced sense of taste, bleeding easily

Group 4 - HyCbl onset, degraded MeCbl onset, MeCbl after photolytic breakdown onset.

Itchy bumps generally on scalp or face that develops to acne like lesions in a few days from start.

Martial

Hi Jay,

first switch to the brands of b12 that we know works. Get off whey, glutathione, NAC, get a low dose b-complex, a,d,e,c,. magnesium, zinc, omega3 oils, lecithin and so forth going, and balance out potassium. It doesn't make itself as anything. A lack of effective4 b12 in the cells causes expulsion of folate causing real genuine folate deficiency symptoms. It just isn't understood or recognized generally as it looks paradoxical.

I would imagine that it is a result of folate needing b12 to function and work in cellular function, the same as b12 is dependent on folate.. If one is deficient then the absortion of the other will always be worse, likewise if you mega dose one without having adequate supply of the other this could cause issues too.. perhaps that is the result of the paradox deficiency.. I guess to me it doesn't seem too paradoxical though one is always dependent on the other. There always being dysregulation when something in the system is not optimal.

@Freddd thanks for the info again, I already recorded tons of conversations we have had in the past! Actually I have been spreading your protocol out around other forums and places as well, it seems people are really attuned to it and are testing it out themselves.. I always warned of folate deficiency and potassium issues as well!

As someone mentioned in another thread I am curious.. Are issues with potassium deficiency specific to methylation with ME/CFS? Or is it just something that happens regardless of the persons condition and health? I do not have M.E. and I am not sure if I ever had potassium deficiency as a result of the protocol, though I always made sure to up my intake regardless... It is also hard to tell as my condition of lyme disease closely mimics symptoms of all deficiencies including b12, folate, and potassium..

@Jay1218 Wow, I am actually suprised most of the time no one knows what t-nation is! Yeah sounds like you are doing everything right, but like freddd says I guess whey in a concentrated form can act as a methyl trap. Maybe there are certain blends or ways that it can be made to prevent this though.. Actually the brand name you mentioned sounds really promising for that.

As for folate deficiency I think that is very unlikely at the amount you use... B12 deficiency would be this

• weakness, tiredness or light-headedness
  • rapid heartbeat and breathing
  • pale skin
  • sore tongue
  • easy bruising or bleeding, including bleeding gums
  • stomach upset and weight loss
  • diarrhea or constipation
and later on you can get very bad neurological issues, dementia, psychosis, difficulty walking, and the like..

methyl folate would show

Loss of appetite and weight loss can occur. Additional signs are weakness, sore tongue, headaches, heart palpitations, irritability, and behavioral disorders.

Usually depression is a pretty big hallmark of folate deficiency..

Folate deficiency would show up in a blood test as anemia if it got low enough..

folate can mask the symptoms of b12 deficiency which would cause progressive neurological issues with no anemia, however I don't think b12 could cover folate deficiency too much.

Are you also currenty using L Carnatine Fumarate, and Ado b12?

Haha yeah I know! I talk to people all the time at the gym and mention t-nation and they have no idea what it is. It's an awesome site if you're into lifting though. Good to see another person here that's into training like me.

I'm just thankful that despite feeling like crap all the time, I still manage to get through my workouts because without those, I'd be 10x more miserable.

I increased my B12 today and did notice a little bit of a difference, so maybe it's working. I have learned to not get ahead of myself though because usually what happens is if I have a good day, it's always followed by a really bad day. Crossin my fingers that tomorrow will be good too.

I'm not doing carnitine yet, but I am doing AdB12. Today I did 8,000 mcg of MeB12 and 2,000 mcg of AdB12. I was able to drop my folate today down to only 6 pills, so 4,800 mcg which is much more practical I think.

Hi Jay,

first switch to the brands of b12 that we know works. Get off whey, glutathione, NAC, get a low dose b-complex, a,d,e,c,. magnesium, zinc, omega3 oils, lecithin and so forth going, and balance out potassium. It doesn't make itself as anything. A lack of effective4 b12 in the cells causes expulsion of folate causing real genuine folate deficiency symptoms. It just isn't understood or recognized generally as it looks paradoxical.

Alright I just ordered the Enzymatic B12 and the Source Naturals AdB12 so will start with those when they get here. Seems like the Seeking Health stuff may have worked though based on the slight improvement so far today. Maybe this could end up being one of your 5 star brands as well.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Freddd

I would imagine that it is a result of folate needing b12 to function and work in cellular function, the same as b12 is dependent on folate.. If one is deficient then the absortion of the other will always be worse, likewise if you mega dose one without having adequate supply of the other this could cause issues too.. perhaps that is the result of the paradox deficiency.. I guess to me it doesn't seem too paradoxical though one is always dependent on the other. There always being dysregulation when something in the system is not optimal.

@Freddd thanks for the info again, I already recorded tons of conversations we have had in the past! Actually I have been spreading your protocol out around other forums and places as well, it seems people are really attuned to it and are testing it out themselves.. I always warned of folate deficiency and potassium issues as well!

As someone mentioned in another thread I am curious.. Are issues with potassium deficiency specific to methylation with ME/CFS? Or is it just something that happens regardless of the persons condition and health? I do not have M.E. and I am not sure if I ever had potassium deficiency as a result of the protocol, though I always made sure to up my intake regardless... It is also hard to tell as my condition of lyme disease closely mimics symptoms of all deficiencies including b12, folate, and potassium..

Are issues with potassium deficiency specific to methylation with ME/CFS? Or is it just something that happens regardless of the persons condition and health? I do not have M.E. and I am not sure if I ever had potassium deficiency as a result of the protocol, though I always made sure to up my intake regardless... It is also hard to tell as my condition of lyme disease closely mimics symptoms of all deficiencies including b12, folate, and potassium

Hi Martial,

I'll tell you how it appears to be to me. The apparent "trigger" for my FMS appears to be traumatic injury, the car wreck. Quite a few people appear to have traumatic injury as a trigger to FMS. My CFS appeared to have a sudden onset with what looks like a viral trigger. My favorite candidate for that is a coxsackie or echo virus, often called non-paralytic polio and counted in polio epidemics of past decades. You know, I also had mono. I've had numerous tick bites in the east and a few in the west. I had several viral infections that affected so many people that they delayed school openings across the country some years and was sick for a month or more before recovering from them. There are 30 or so coxsackie/echo viruses. They also follow the nerves. I've seen kids get triggered by streps and vaccines. There are all of these suspicious "miscellaneous entero viruses" (echo and coxsackie fill the bill).

Based on all this I had to widen out my hypothesis of causality that any of these can tip somebody over that edge if they are on it. Something puts a large strain on a marginal system at a tipping point and over they go into a different metastable condition from which one often doesn't recover without an intervention of correcting that which tipped.

Shortly after my own startup experience with Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl I was forced to do a 10 brand comparison because the ENZY product was backordered and I had to find something. I had already identified 4 other local people who had the same reaction as I did. After identifying Jarrow of that period, 2003 as the only other brand with the same effectiveness I did my own N=1000 questionnaire development study. To sum it up, if people had a suitable subset of symptoms contained on the lists I have posted, they had a sizable response within 1 hour to MeCbl 1mg or 5mg, and later AdoCbl 3mg. If they genuinely didn't have a spread of those symptoms they had no noticeable response. It didn't matter what theories they had about how or why they had these symptoms. The symptoms themselves told the story. The more and more severe the symptoms, the stronger the response.

So then we get to another group of people I know around here; my partner, my ex wife and some others who just don't have partial methylation block or methyltrap. They have tried all these things. My kids reacted like I do, 100%. My ex and all the others have no significant response to any of the deadlock quartet. They have no methylation startup. They have no donut hole folate deficiency. They have no paradoxical folate deficiency symptoms with folic acid. They have no folinic acid paradoxical folate deficiency. They have no low potassium response. They had no pent up demand for healing.

My conclusion is that the original cause has little to do with where they end up. If they have a spread of these symptoms they have the same set of responses, with the variations we see around us. Without the symptoms they don't have the responses. If the have the symptoms, then they have the deficiencies, however they got there, and they have the responses. That at least makes for a usable working hypothesis that takes everything I know into account. The original causes or diagnosis seems to have very little to do with any of it, except maybe for the variations.

The paradoxical folate deficiency seems to relate to the MTHR polymorphisms to some extent or another and who knows what else. There also is an unusual strong physiological preference for l-carnitine fumarate (about 90%) or ALCAR (about 10%) and a vitamin like need for it. Perhaps these may be the predisposing items that put a person on that edge, ready to be knocked off by an opportunistic infection or other physical challenge. I can trace my early symptoms back to infancy. I was always hit so much harder by illnesses than most others around me.

Martial

Are issues with potassium deficiency specific to methylation with ME/CFS? Or is it just something that happens regardless of the persons condition and health? I do not have M.E. and I am not sure if I ever had potassium deficiency as a result of the protocol, though I always made sure to up my intake regardless... It is also hard to tell as my condition of lyme disease closely mimics symptoms of all deficiencies including b12, folate, and potassium

Hi Martial,

I'll tell you how it appears to be to me. The apparent "trigger" for my FMS appears to be traumatic injury, the car wreck. Quite a few people appear to have traumatic injury as a trigger to FMS. My CFS appeared to have a sudden onset with what looks like a viral trigger. My favorite candidate for that is a coxsackie or echo virus, often called non-paralytic polio and counted in polio epidemics of past decades. You know, I also had mono. I've had numerous tick bites in the east and a few in the west. I had several viral infections that affected so many people that they delayed school openings across the country some years and was sick for a month or more before recovering from them. There are 30 or so coxsackie/echo viruses. They also follow the nerves. I've seen kids get triggered by streps and vaccines. There are all of these suspicious "miscellaneous entero viruses" (echo and coxsackie fill the bill).

Based on all this I had to widen out my hypothesis of causality that any of these can tip somebody over that edge if they are on it. Something puts a large strain on a marginal system at a tipping point and over they go into a different metastable condition from which one often doesn't recover without an intervention of correcting that which tipped.

Shortly after my own startup experience with Enzymatic Therapy MeCbl I was forced to do a 10 brand comparison because the ENZY product was backordered and I had to find something. I had already identified 4 other local people who had the same reaction as I did. After identifying Jarrow of that period, 2003 as the only other brand with the same effectiveness I did my own N=1000 questionnaire development study. To sum it up, if people had a suitable subset of symptoms contained on the lists I have posted, they had a sizable response within 1 hour to MeCbl 1mg or 5mg, and later AdoCbl 3mg. If they genuinely didn't have a spread of those symptoms they had no noticeable response. It didn't matter what theories they had about how or why they had these symptoms. The symptoms themselves told the story. The more and more severe the symptoms, the stronger the response.

So then we get to another group of people I know around here; my partner, my ex wife and some others who just don't have partial methylation block or methyltrap. They have tried all these things. My kids reacted like I do, 100%. My ex and all the others have no significant response to any of the deadlock quartet. They have no methylation startup. They have no donut hole folate deficiency. They have no paradoxical folate deficiency symptoms with folic acid. They have no folinic acid paradoxical folate deficiency. They have no low potassium response. They had no pent up demand for healing.

My conclusion is that the original cause has little to do with where they end up. If they have a spread of these symptoms they have the same set of responses, with the variations we see around us. Without the symptoms they don't have the responses. If the have the symptoms, then they have the deficiencies, however they got there, and they have the responses. That at least makes for a usable working hypothesis that takes everything I know into account. The original causes or diagnosis seems to have very little to do with any of it, except maybe for the variations.

The paradoxical folate deficiency seems to relate to the MTHR polymorphisms to some extent or another and who knows what else. There also is an unusual strong physiological preference for l-carnitine fumarate (about 90%) or ALCAR (about 10%) and a vitamin like need for it. Perhaps these may be the predisposing items that put a person on that edge, ready to be knocked off by an opportunistic infection or other physical challenge. I can trace my early symptoms back to infancy. I was always hit so much harder by illnesses than most others around me.

@Freddd

Wow that is quite impressive! Thank you so much for all the info it definitely helps things to be seen in a much broader perspective and range for me... As for myself I don't know what symptoms stem from what, as they are just too sporadic and all over the place. This is definitely useful stuff to show when discussing with other people though!

So do you believe then that the cure to CFS would be the methylation protocol? At least in the case that their issues stem from this cause in the first place.. I know there can be many different factors at play of course, though I am sure with most chronic illness this would definitely help to push for remission even if it is not the single cause of remission for all!

I already know plenty who have recovered from adrenal fatigue thanks to the methylation protocol.. This putting a stump to the old theory of needing high dose vitamin C and other things they use for that..

Most interesting about adrenal fatigue is that it is commonly known that people in that state do not really digest and process potassium that well, I always see suggestions on forums about avoiding too high dose foods of potassium.. I wonder what the correlation to methylation is there.. Some kind of methyl trap perhaps?

Freddd

@Freddd

Wow that is quite impressive! Thank you so much for all the info it definitely helps things to be seen in a much broader perspective and range for me... As for myself I don't know what symptoms stem from what, as they are just too sporadic and all over the place. This is definitely useful stuff to show when discussing with other people though!

So do you believe then that the cure to CFS would be the methylation protocol? At least in the case that their issues stem from this cause in the first place.. I know there can be many different factors at play of course, though I am sure with most chronic illness this would definitely help to push for remission even if it is not the single cause of remission for all!

I already know plenty who have recovered from adrenal fatigue thanks to the methylation protocol.. This putting a stump to the old theory of needing high dose vitamin C and other things they use for that..

Most interesting about adrenal fatigue is that it is commonly known that people in that state do not really digest and process potassium that well, I always see suggestions on forums about avoiding too high dose foods of potassium.. I wonder what the correlation to methylation is there.. Some kind of methyl trap perhaps?

Hi Martial,

I suggest 6 grams of vit C daily or even more. For years I took 16 grams a day and I'm currently back to 14 grams of C a day. One of the common symptoms as children that I had, and that I was reminded of by the study Rich VK and Dr Nathan did, included bloody noses. Mine ended suddenly with vitamin C. I haven't had a bloody nose in more than 40 years since starting vit C. I remember being about 2 years old and my dad coming into my bedroom and he was absolutely horrified to see a pile of bloody Kleenex tissues in a pile in front of me and a mostly empty box on my lap as I used one after another. The last one I had was in the middle of a performance of Handel's Messiah, singing tenor in the chorus. I had potassium problems as a child as well, and now can see how they fit in with the periodic paradoxical folate deficiency I had as a child each 2 weeks as has continued all my life. There are still so many mysteries.

Last edited:

Martial

Edit, Riboceine works too much in the same way as NAC.. It causes methyl trap and I can no longer use it as part of my protocol.. I do not suggest anyone on freddd's protocol use either NAC or Ribociene.

Gingergrrl

@Martial I know this is an old thread but I was curious about "Riboceine" so I did a search and found your post. It seems like you initially recommended it but then realized it was not for you.

I was curious now that some time has passed, if you ever tried it again or would recommend it as a precursor to glutathione? Also curious if anyone else has ever tried it (good or bad.)

Thanks!

ebethc

NAC appears to cause so much glutathione to be made in some people (NAC detox) that it causes methyltrap by flushing essentially all the active b12 from the body that isn't nailed down.

I have no opinion at all on riboceine.

Starting methylation and ATP appears to normalize glutathione though there are many things that may influence that.

@Freddd - how do you start methylation AND ATP? Can both be triggered by following your protocol? Also, will your protocol help detox ammonia and clear brain fog?

thanks

ahmo

@ebethc Fred hasn't been posting for a few months.

AdenoB12 is the element of Fred's Deadlock Quartet that relates to ATP.

Re detox ammonia and clearing related brain fog, I've needed to use specific other things. I began woth those most commonly suggested for CBS, Sulfur/ammonia clearing: yucca, then switched to ornithine, lysine, later adding arginine and citrulline. During the past couple months I dropped all those, now only use malic acid, which has been working brilliantly for me. Also butyrate w/ meat meals.Here's a thread discussing malic: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

Last edited:

ebethc

@ebethc Fred hasn't been posting for a few months.

AdenoB12 is the element of Fred's Deadlock Quartet that relates to ATP.

Re detox ammonia and clearing related brain fog, I've needed to use specific other things. I began woth those most commonly suggested for CBS, Sulfur/ammonia clearing: yucca, then switched to ornithine, lysine, later adding arginine and citrulline. During the past couple months I dropped all those, now only use malic acid, which has been working brilliantly for me. Also butyrate w/ meat meals.Here's a thread discussing malic:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/new-inexpensive-cbs-ammonia-fix.31835/

@ahmo - thanks, I just started using Malic based on your suggestion! too early to tell if it will stimulate my methylation any better than the other aminos... Malic & Magesium have have always been helpful, but nothing helped as much as the arginine in Sept before I crashed in Oct.. I was so motivated and mentally organized.. I felt like a normal person..

What is in the Deadlock Quartet besides Adeno? Why is Adeno better than M-B12?

thanks

ahmo

@ebethc Adeno is different from Methyl B12. Check out the distinctions and the DQ elements in the pdf linked to my signature. DQ= MB12, Mfolate, AdB12, Carnitine, either as LCF )L-Carnitine Fumarate) or ALCAR (Acetyl Carnitine)

Apologies for my inability to remember what I've already suggested:rolleyes: and to offer you a clear understanding of AdB12 and ATP. My memory.....:aghhh::lol:

Last edited:

physicsstudent13

if NAC causes damage to the lungs and heart by enlarging the heart or thickening the walls then is it better to take glutathione oral pills and alpha lipoic acid to increase glutathione? it seems you can help clear ammonia with arginine for instance.
I've taken NAC for over a year and don't know how safe a max daily dosage of 3g is. It did really stop the liver cell damage that I had after surgery for some reason. but I'm still crippled with this terrible sleep disorder and on a ventilator which doesn't work without gabapentin+klonopin

Hi All,

I have a general question that seems to belong in this thread: to take glutathione or its precursors? According to the Simplified Methylation Protocol proposed by the late Rich Van Konynenburg, using his protocol (which did not consist or either NAC or glutathione) would eventually raise glutathione levels on their own.

And I believe that MTHFR gurus like Ben Lynch have said that giving too much glutathione can cause the body to stop making its own production of the stuff. So, I am surprised to see a CFS doctor (Dr. Enlander) putting glutathione in one of his supplements. In particular, he has a supplement called Immune Resist which contains 1,500 mg of glutathione. Can anyone tell me if this is a low amount, which serves to help support your body while it recovers, or if this amount is too much?

I do see that many suggest taking NAC instead of glutathione since it is a precursor to glutathione. But, I believe that if you have a CBS genetic mutation, then taking NAC is not advised. if that is the case, does anyone have any advice on what is one supposed to do?

If one is on the Simplified Methylation Protocol, which doesn't include NAC or glutathione, neither of the above questions are issues. So, its more of a choice on 1) avoiding both NAC and glutathione, 2) avoid just NAC and take glutathione, 3) take glutathione and avoid NAC or 4) take both.

Any insight on those who've been down this road before would be appreciated.

Scotty81