• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Strange problems with one hand only

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I know dry cracking skin has already been discussed recently but I have problems affecting one hand only.

The skin of my left hand is very dry and cracks every day (very painful). The skin of the left hand also looks a completely different colour to the right (like a dull grey purple) and the nail cuticles are gone.

I also have a certain loss of sensation and have lost dexterity.

This has been going on for many years (getting worse) and a skin scraping was taken ten years ago for a fungal infection but was negative. One of the first things I noticed that this hand had a different musty smell.

In recent years I've also had a spreading rash on this hand which leaves patches of small blisters and peeling skin. This has now appeared on my left forehead!

Skins creams and cleaning with antiseptic fluid have had no effect.

I'm beginning to suspect it may be related to circulation or neuropathy?

Any ideas?

Martial

I get the dry skin and blisters on only one hand more predominantly, both hands get pretty dry at times though. I found out I was allergic to a lot of additives in soap so had to only use things I don't react to. Look into your hand soaps and skin care products, their may be an allergy you are unaware of. Things I had to cut out were anything with parabens first, any kind of liquid hand soaps, and then anything scented, it could be a bit different for you.

adreno

PR activist
It probably a nerve issue. Nerve activity is needed to stimulate the tissue in the hand. Your nerves might be pinched in the thoracic outlet for example, this is quite common. Blood vessels could also be pinched in the same area. This is known as Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

Here's an illustration of the thoracic outlet:

fig1thoracic.jpg

Last edited:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I get the dry skin and blisters on only one hand more predominantly, both hands get pretty dry at times though. I found out I was allergic to a lot of additives in soap so had to only use things I don't react to. Look into your hand soaps and skin care products, their may be an allergy you are unaware of. Things I had to cut out were anything with parabens first, any kind of liquid hand soaps, and then anything scented, it could be a bit different for you.

Thanks. I'll look out for that but I think I'm pretty covered there as I don't use soap and most if not all of our products come labelled as parabens free.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Thanks @adreno

You may have something there. Many years back I thought I might have carpal tunnel and my medical notes state 'synovitis/tenosynovitis' which is strange since I don't remember any swelling or indeed any treatment. Plus when my energy starts flagging I find myself rubbing and massaging that left arm as it starts feeling numb.

Can't see how that might relate to the rash on the forehead though although they might just be unrelated.

Martial

Thanks. I'll look out for that but I think I'm pretty covered there as I don't use soap and most if not all of our products come labelled as parabens free.

Well the circulation issues can be related to things like Adreno mentioned, the dry cracking skin and stuff is all really common dermatitis issues, allergies, sensitive skin type stuff. Yeah definitely worth still looking into anything "scented" especially. I thought I was using the most benign things and I would still get a reaction. Vaseline is supposed to help and wearing gloves during the winter. I do not do either though as winter in southern California is kind of a joke.

Hip

Have you considered eczema or psoriasis?

Psoriasis has been linked to coxsackievirus B.

Last edited:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Vaseline is supposed to help and wearing gloves during the winter. I do not do either though as winter in southern California is kind of a joke.

Summer here is pretty mediterranean and I still have the same problems all year round so I doubt climate is the issue.

rosie26

Hi Marco, have you ever tried nicotinamide? I remember in the 90's a doctor gave me the flushing kind but I had to stop it after a few days as I was flushing too much. So I don't know if it is really beneficial or not. I wonder if it might help.

Last edited:

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Hi Marco, have you ever tried nicotinamide? I remember in the 90's a doctor gave me the flushing kind but I had to stop it after a few days as I was flushing too much. So I don't know if it is really beneficial or not. I wonder if it might help.

Thanks rosie

I haven't tried it although I regularly take a vit B complex (and smoke - ahem).

Might be worth trying.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Have you considered eczema or psoriasis?

Psoriasis has been linked to coxsackievirus B.

My GP suggested psoriasis as a possibility and I have a referral to a dermotologist for another issue so we'll see. I do wonder though if a dermotologist would be familar with skin conditions due to issues such as neuropathy? You would think so through dealing with diabetics.