• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Howard Stern Talks about ME/CFS as "Serious"

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Mods : Not sure if this is were to post. I couldn't find a subject of media articles, so please move as you see fit.

A friend emailed me the following on Thursday{10/30/14}:
Howard was talking about your condition yesterday and how now Scientists are finding out just how serious it is throughout your body.

When I asked him more about it, he said he listens on his way to work and didn't know if it was a new show or a repeat.
I know Stern is a controversial guy, but whatever you think of him, please consider he has a huge following. He can reach a lot of people.
I wish I could find out more about it. If it was a quick mention or more discussion. Did anyone catch this ?
I tried to find at the website, but they only list the celeb. story of the day as far as I can tell .I think b/c there is a fee to pay for his show on Sirris {sp?} Radio.

I am wondering if :
1. anyone has more info on this or knows how to find out.
2. If anyone, besides myself, would like to send a TY note and perhaps a small wee bit of further information.
Maybe he would be encouraged to talk more about it.

ED: to fix date. I left out the zero in October.

Last edited:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
had to look him up. America's Got Talent, that's where I've heard of him.

Always nice to hear of anyone becoming educated about us. There's been some great media coverage.

*GG*

Mods : Not sure if this is were to post. I couldn't find a subject of media articles, so please move as you see fit.

A friend emailed me the following on Thursday{1/30/14}:
Howard was talking about your condition yesterday and how now Scientists are finding out just how serious it is throughout your body.

When I asked him more about it, he said he listens on his way to work and didn't know if it was a new show or a repeat.
I know Stern is a controversial guy, but whatever you think of him, please consider he has a huge following. He can reach a lot of people.
I wish I could find out more about it. If it was a quick mention or more discussion. Did anyone catch this ?
I tried to find at the website, but they only list the celeb. story of the day as far as I can tell .I think b/c there is a fee to pay for his show on Sirris {sp?} Radio.

I am wondering if :
1. anyone has more info on this or knows how to find out.
2. If anyone, besides myself, would like to send a TY note and perhaps a small wee bit of further information.
Maybe he would be encouraged to talk more about it.

Is the date right in your posting? 1/30/14? That's almost a year ago! Or perhaps you meant 10/30/14?

GG

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Is the date right in your posting? 1/30/14? That's almost a year ago! Or perhaps you meant 10/30/14?

GG
typo or maybe brain error. Either way, I meant October. : ) I will edit above. Thanks for catching it.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
No problem, just glad that it is more recent and not from the beginning of the year!

GG
Except he wasn't sure if it was a new show or a repeat. But it might make sense to be a new one b/c of the Stanford stuff coming out. I hope somebody else on the forum heard it.

JAM

Jill
I couldn't find anything when I searched the show. I'd love to see a link though if anyone finds one.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
Stern is one of the worse human beings on the planet, in my opinion. He objectifies women for a living, ridicules the disabled and mentally challenged....just an awful, awful human being. I cannot stand him!

Sorry, just felt like venting lol
As I mentioned in OP, he is a controversial figure.{ not someone I listen to, then again don't listen to radio at all these days} But at this point, I'll take any positive media that will promote the serious nature of this illness.

Last edited:

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Stern is one of the worse human beings on the planet, in my opinion. He objectifies women for a living, ridicules the disabled and mentally challenged....just an awful, awful human being. I cannot stand him!

Sorry, just felt like venting lol

Thank you for your spot-on vent. I wouldn't consider him in the category of "positive media" on any level.

Last edited:

Daffodil

More than a jerk. The guy makes fun of rape, child abuse, incest. UGH. He must have VERY high security. It is a miracle no one has done away with that man.

JayS

I've been listening to his show for 25 years. It's probably not worth addressing criticism as I'm not really interested in trying to change anyone's mind; I'll leave it at, I'm a fan of satire.

The news item about the Stanford study was read as part of the daily news segment on Wednesday. Howard is a devotee of John Sarno (so unless he or someone close to him comes down with this, I wouldn't expect much awareness to come from him), and seems to believe there's a lot to psychosomatic illness. He's dealt with OCD his entire life and sees a psychiatrist several days a week, for many years. He didn't add much except an offhand 'oh, I think I've got that, too' comment that is hardly unique.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I've been listening to his show for 25 years. It's probably not worth addressing criticism as I'm not really interested in trying to change anyone's mind; I'll leave it at, I'm a fan of satire.

The news item about the Stanford study was read as part of the daily news segment on Wednesday. Howard is a devotee of John Sarno (so unless he or someone close to him comes down with this, I wouldn't expect much awareness to come from him), and seems to believe there's a lot to psychosomatic illness. He's dealt with OCD his entire life and sees a psychiatrist several days a week, for many years. He didn't add much except an offhand 'oh, I think I've got that, too' comment that is hardly unique.

Thanks for the clarification and further info re : Howard and potential for support.
As I said, my friend wrote that he had caught it in passing and couldn't remember more. I guess there wasn't more for him to remember ! The best part was his kind note of compassion that came with the Stern show reference.
I am so grateful for a friend who truly cares-- who knew me before ME/CFS and after; who can see how devastating this illness is.
And as little bit of news it was on HS, I'm grateful for that too. At least it made one person stop and think and write a kind note ! Who knows, maybe more heard and thought a bit more about it.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I've been listening to his show for 25 years. I'm a fan of satire.
{He} seems to believe there's a lot to psychosomatic illness. He's dealt with OCD his entire life and sees a psychiatrist several days a week, for many years. He didn't add much except an offhand 'oh, I think I've got that, too' comment that is hardly unique.
So was he saying/implying that ME/CFS is psychosomatic? Were his remarks about how serious it is satirical?

JayS

I don't really have an answer for that. It didn't sound like anything worth trying to read something into. I'd say 'not really' and 'more like inconsequential & best not spending much time thinking about.'

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
So was he saying/implying that ME/CFS is psychosomatic? Were his remarks about how serious it is satirical?
Per my OP : A friend emailed me the following on Thursday{10/30/14}:

I thi
nk @JayS was just saying that HS's attitude toward illness in general is one of mind over body.
And that therefore, he didn't think it was worth pursuing.

Gingergrrl

I don't take anything as serious coming from Howard Stern BUT if he mentioned the Stanford Study which led someone to google it, they would learn of Dr. Montoya and maybe even the End ME/CFS Project so anything is possible...