• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Insitol hexanicotinate interfere with methylation?

Adlyfrost

This is also called no-flush niacin. Would like to take a supplement with 75mgs per serving but not sure.

I like your question and was hoping someone would answer.....I take this occasionally combined with choline and have wondered if it was a good idea.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Would that be inositol hexanicotinate? I take a supplement that just says 'inositil'. It is a form of niacin that is also sometime called B9. Mine are 750 mg capsules, so it may not be the same thing.

adreno

PR activist
This is also called no-flush niacin. Would like to take a supplement with 75mgs per serving but not sure.
I don't believe such a small dose of B3 would interfere. However, you might want to take your methyl supps in the morning, and the B3 in the evening.

adreno

PR activist
Would that be inositol hexanicotinate? I take a supplement that just says 'inositil'. It is a form of niacin that is also sometime called B9. Mine are 750 mg capsules, so it may not be the same thing.
I believe you're thinking of Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP-6), this is not a form of B3.

whodathunkit

@Adlyfrost: In my experience any little bit of *any form* of supplemental niacin can interfere with methylation, at least when I was starting out. I tried all forms, including inositol hexanicotinate. Even really, really small amounts of niacin would cause me problems. Even a small amount of of the so-called "active" form NADH, which supposedly is symptom-free because it requires no processing in the body for the body to use it.

I have to do my B vitamins piecemeal to avoid niacin completely. I'm thinking about trying some again, however, since I'm much more stable than I used to be. We'll see.

Worth noting is that I do drink milk and eat unrefined whole grain, so it could be that I am getting enough niacin from my food and didn't need any supplemental.

But you asked was it possible and yes, IME it is possible. Plus, 75mg seems like a big dose