• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No

Jody submitted a new blog post:

Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No

New grandma Jody Smith shares her frustrations about not being able to visit the new baby...

My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.

The little family lives a province away and we can't afford to make the trip. And that includes not being able to afford the energy it would require.

People automatically -- and naturally -- ask if we're going to fly out to see them, and I must repeat to one then another that, no we won't be able to go.

I want to. Boy, do I want to. But even if it was possible to buy a ticket I don't know whether I would be able to make the trip. And I don't know whether they would end up having to take care of me.

I'm thankful for Facebook, and emails, and pictures. Certainly it is easier to be a long-distance grandparent now than it was for my parents' generation.

But it's still frustrating. You know what I'm talking about. I'm not just writing this to complain and feel sorry for myself. (Okay, that is one of the reasons.) But it's also to commisserate with all of you who also can't reach the people you love because of the limitations of ME/CFS.

For those of us who have severe symptoms, our loved ones don't even have to be in another province. Maybe they're less than a half-hour drive from you. But if you can't manage that short trip -- or if you are too ill to have them come to your house -- they might as well be a world away.

This is such a difficult challenge for many of us. It is not well understood by the healthy world. It's embarrassing to have to say, no, I'm not going to see the new baby. No, I won't be going to the wedding. No, I'll have to miss the graduation, the christening, the reunion ...

And forget about what other people think. We wonder if our kids know how much we love them. Do they know in their hearts that if we could be there, we would? How much are they missing out on when we can't jump on a plane, or hop in the car and just GO ... ? We all know the answer to that and it breaks our hearts.

And yet.

We have to accept our realities, and accept the limitations on what we can and can't do. We tell them how much we love them. We tell them we'd be there if we could. And hopefully our kids know us well enough to believe us.

We get as creative as we are able. Some of us can Skype without neurological craziness. Some of us can't do that. But maybe we can email or write on Facebook. We can devour photos and click Like, Like, Like. We can lol and send hugs and kisses xoxoxoxo

And we remind ourselves that despite the limitations our love and past history are very real and they matter, to us and to the people who are so important to us. We hope for the day when we will be able to jump on the plane or hop in the car and go. We look forward to visits from them (those of us able to have company without crashing). We send gifts when we can.

The old slogan from Bell about phoning being "the next best thing to being there" may ring hollow at times but the telephone partners with the internet as open doors for many of us and we take advantage of them. Because we love our kids, our friends, and though it drives us nuts that we can't go see them, we are lucky to have these open doors.

Do you have loved ones you miss that you can't go to visit?

Phoenix Rising is a registered 501 c.(3) non profit. We support ME/CFS and NEID patients through rigorous reporting, reliable information, effective advocacy and the provision of online services which empower patients and help them to cope with their isolation.

There are many ways you can help Phoenix Rising to continue its work. If you feel able to offer your time and talent, we could really use some more authors, proof-readers, fundraisers, technicians etc. We’d also love to expand our Board of Directors. So, if you think you can help in any way then please contact Mark through the Forums.

And don’t forget: you can always support our efforts at no cost to yourself as you shop online! To find out more, visit Phoenix Rising’s Donate page by clicking the button below.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Jody, sweetie, Congrats on your new Grandbaby. I hope the stars come together for you and you can get to see her, some how, some way.

On a lighter note, there's something quite energizing about smelling new baby head. ;-) My hope for you is that you can get that baby head "fix" soon. Even if it's quick and doesn't last long enough, it's "Ahhhhhh..." while it's there.

@Jody I am late to this thread but also want to congratulate you on your new grand baby. I was racking my brain trying to think of a way you could see her. But I know you will some day soon and that time will be amazing for you.

Jody, sweetie, Congrats on your new Grandbaby. I hope the stars come together for you and you can get to see her, some how, some way.

On a lighter note, there's something quite energizing about smelling new baby head. ;-) My hope for you is that you can get that baby head "fix" soon. Even if it's quick and doesn't last long enough, it's "Ahhhhhh..." while it's there.

Thanks whodathunkit,

Yes, babies smell SO good! even when they don't.:) I am hoping for a head fix at some point.:)

@Jody I am late to this thread but also want to congratulate you on your new grand baby. I was racking my brain trying to think of a way you could see her. But I know you will some day soon and that time will be amazing for you.

Gingergrrl,

I so appreciate you racking your brain for my benefit.:) But have a care, don't strain that ME/CFS brain if you can possibly avoid it. I am thinking the little fam will probably make their way to us some time in the next year. And since my daughter has maternity leave for I think the next 9 months, maybe it will be in less than a year, to work with her time off.

Meanwhile, the photos and facebook posts are getting a real workout.:)

Jody-- I can relate to this post totally except for the fact that I am lucky enough to have recently moved to the town my son and daughter in law live. I (3 weeks ago) just became a grandmother to a precious baby girl and was also fortunate enough to be in the delivery room when she was born.
My husband and I moved 9 months ago from the home we had lived in for 34 years in order to be closer to them. At that time they were not expecting but we moved because we could no longer maintain a big house and yard.

I do hope our loved ones understand that we would be there if we could but I know in my heart that because I look healthy and they never see me at my worse then it is hard for anyone including family and friends to "get it". They don't see me when I am crashed and unable to move....

Your article was wonderful and I want to congratulate you on your granddaughter....

Jody-- I can relate to this post totally except for the fact that I am lucky enough to have recently moved to the town my son and daughter in law live. I (3 weeks ago) just became a grandmother to a precious baby girl and was also fortunate enough to be in the delivery room when she was born.
My husband and I moved 9 months ago from the home we had lived in for 34 years in order to be closer to them. At that time they were not expecting but we moved because we could no longer maintain a big house and yard.

I do hope our loved ones understand that we would be there if we could but I know in my heart that because I look healthy and they never see me at my worse then it is hard for anyone including family and friends to "get it". They don't see me when I am crashed and unable to move....

Your article was wonderful and I want to congratulate you on your granddaughter....

Soxfan,

Congratulations to you too, Grandma.:) My granddaughter is also 3 wks old.

You are indeed lucky to be so close to them. Good planning on your part!

Reflexology for babies is always a lovely help to them...

If the parents like that sort of thing too, with their approval and permission, maybe that is something a New Granny could arrange to make up for not being able to be there.

my wife and I are expecting a child in about 2 weeks I have CFS and she does not. Very excited and nervous at the same time all the scans indicate he is healthy but the financial realities not a good picture. Applied for all sorts of state and federal aid but nothing has come through so far. Ssdi is in appeal, along with medicaid etc...I tried a commission based sales job for a few months, the reality is I can work an hour or two before crashing. Some days, bed bound. Just do not have mental or physical staying power. Car is stuck in driveway. No cash to fix it. Some days.........

my wife and I are expecting a child in about 2 weeks I have CFS and she does not. Very excited and nervous at the same time all the scans indicate he is healthy but the financial realities not a good picture. Applied for all sorts of state and federal aid but nothing has come through so far. Ssdi is in appeal, along with medicaid etc...I tried a commission based sales job for a few months, the reality is I can work an hour or two before crashing. Some days, bed bound. Just do not have mental or physical staying power. Car is stuck in driveway. No cash to fix it. Some days.........

John,

I so understand. The stress in a situation like what you're dealing with is crushing. I have been there, and know that I could be there in the future, since we don't have any financial reserves or nest egg. It is awful to have a vehicle that doesn't run or can't be depended on. And knowing you need to find a way to bring in money does not change the fact that you are sick and aren't able to do it. It is not a matter of character or priorities, it is just a hard fact of life.

I wish I could give you something helpful in a practical way, which I know is what you really need right now. All I can do is tell you that there have been so many times in rearing our five kids when I just didn't know where to turn. We have somehow always managed -- had to skimp on things like dentist, groceries and clothing that met our standards, ... you know the kinds of things I'm talking about.

Our kids are grown now. One has ME/CFS and is living at home with us. The rest are married or in longterm relationships and are independent. They all did without, and they know they did. They were in on all the financial crises and the worries. Yet they don't seem to hold it against us, though my husband and I struggle with feeling like we let them down. But they are well-adjusted, and loving people who love us despite it all.

I know you are strong, and doing everything you can, to the detriment of your own health. I hope some opportunities and help will come your way. You deserve help and support.

Yes, I have missed weddings, friends, family, concerts (that I have spent too much money on) and so much more from this illness. I have lost thousands of dollars for having to cancel a vacation or come home from a vacation where I got sick.

But....it still doesn't compare to not seeing a grand-baby, so for that I am so sorry. That is a true sorrow, but I hold out hope that you will one day. I have to believe that for you and for me. That there is a cloud with a silver lining.

Yes, I have missed weddings, friends, family, concerts (that I have spent too much money on) and so much more from this illness. I have lost thousands of dollars for having to cancel a vacation or come home from a vacation where I got sick.

But....it still doesn't compare to not seeing a grand-baby, so for that I am so sorry. That is a true sorrow, but I hold out hope that you will one day. I have to believe that for you and for me. That there is a cloud with a silver lining.

Yup, we've missed a passel of them, haven't we Misfit Toy.

But I agree with you. I am hoping to be able to make a visit, or they might be able to come see us. And I agree that there has to be a silver lining. Many silver linings. And we will find them because we will never stop looking.

I can relate as well. The times I have forced myself to go to an event I usually have a great time but pay for it big time after. What is the best thing to do? Grit your teeth
and smile at these functions? Hard to explain to others sometimes why you are not
on the dance floor at a wedding.

Jody, I have been meaning to read this but you know how that can be. I got sidetracked and then I was trying to find it under blogs, so wasn't even in the right place to look.

Late or not, I just want you to know this was very touching. We can all relate to what you are going through and it's hard. No way around that.

Thanks for writing this.

Barb

Jody, I have been meaning to read this but you know how that can be. I got sidetracked and then I was trying to find it under blogs, so wasn't even in the right place to look.

Late or not, I just want you to know this was very touching. We can all relate to what you are going through and it's hard. No way around that.

Thanks for writing this.

Barb

Thanks Barb. :)

I can totally relate to your post, Jody! I have been sick for over 20 years but functional enough to be able to work until almost 6 years ago. All of my family live close to or over 1000 miles away so the only way to see them is by plane. 1) can no longer afford the airfare because it has skyrocketed and my income has declined substantially. 2) The elephant in the room.

Everyone expects me to be the vibrant person I was and do, visit and cram more than I can possibly do. Sometimes I'm blessed, maybe I pray harder for those times?, and I can manage up until my trip and even throughout it, if I am careful but then crash for weeks afterwards - but that is worth it! Sometimes, however, I crash during it and that is SO not fun!

A few years ago my hubby and I planned a trip to Massachusetts (from Texas at that time) to visit most of our family. We enjoyed a Memorial Day cookout and then planned to go to the little town's parade the next day, which used to be a tradition for us when we lived there. Well, the morning of the parade, I could barely wake and was fraught with pain. I tried really hard to manage getting up, dressed, etc. but failed miserably. Even if I could have dragged myself there; the crowd, noises, smells, and color would all have been over-the-top too much! When I called my daughter to tell her we wouldn't be able to go, she became terribly mad at me. Evidently she would not even have bothered to go, had we not decided to the day before; but now my granddaughter was looking forward to it so she had to go.

Can you believe she held a grudge for the next 2 years?! I am so glad my prayers were answered and she finally came around. We are almost as close as we used to be. Maybe that scar will never leave her. Me? I cannot afford to let my hurt feelings scar me.

I do thank God that he created smart people who invented the internet, computers, Skype and now FaceTime, and every bit of technology that allows us to interact with our faraway loved ones as much as we possibly can! Blessings to you all!