• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

May I puke? Look at this...

Where we get our data
Our data sources include:

• PubMed®, a service of the US National Library of Medicine.
  • openFDA, a service of the US Food and Drug Administration.
  • ClinicalTrials.gov, a service of the US National Library of Medicine.
  • Wikipedia, everyone's favorite free encyclopedia.
  • People like you.
Help us improve
Please consider contributing through tools offered throughout the website, and by contacting us to provide feedback.

It might be time to contact them and tell them why they are full of s**t.

Denise

http://wellpilot.com/conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/treatments/physical-exercise

Once again, we see how quantity and algorithms consolidate stuff which is wrong, only because enough peers stated it werde true. Oh man! Did bump into this while searching for sth completely different. Made me mad.

It is horrible that something like this exists. But knowing about it may help us counter it and similar things.

As @Kina says - since they claim to want feedback, well reasoned feedback should be provided to them!

misskatniss

I wrote a comment already, and I´d appreciate if many guys around here make them notice how much crap that statistic is! That´s the perpetuating of We**ely ideology, and every time it is repeated in the net, an algorithm thinks it is more valid. I HATE this simplicistic view!!! Here you can aslo see what perr reviews might be worth... or not... :devil:

chipmunk1

i don't think that websites like that are effective in providing any useful information for most sufferers.
Health is not easily quantified in a simple statistic by taking the mean or average or whatever. There are a lot of specific things that you need to know and even then it pretty much varies from individual to individual what works and what not.

you would only use this website if you have something where no obvious cure exists otherwise you could just use wikipedia or ask your neighbor or your physician. You could use the data at best for brainstorming or getting some ideas about certain associations where you could focus your research that's all. another problem is that they don't state how they compute the ranks so you don't even know what a higher ranking exactly means and what variables make the treatment rank higher than others.

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I was trying to work out who is getting what out of this website and how, and why, and well ... all those other w's. Is it a SPAM ad site or a sad geek trying to do their own wikihealthier, or what? Or maybe the computers have taken over the world already?

chipmunk1

it is recommending aluminium as a treatment for autism. also it calls autism , Autisim. Another listed treatment for Autism is Psilocybin. For a burn physical exercise is recommended.

the best treatment for celiac disease is gliadin.

Last edited:

A.B.

I was trying to work out who is getting what out of this website and how, and why, and well ... all those other w's. Is it a SPAM ad site or a sad geek trying to do their own wikihealthier, or what? Or maybe the computers have taken over the world already?

It's a search engine that condenses some available information about conditions and treatments. I don't know if it displays ads because I have an ad blocker in my browser. Anyway, with enough traffic, the site could generate some profit via ads and sales of related products.

Their Google+ site only has two followers. One is also in Toronto and works at a company (Cpoint Capital) where he and at least one other employee are also employed by pharmaceutical companies.

WellPilot seems to provide no information about itself, which is dodgy as hell whether or not they're part of Cpoint Capital. They do say that WellPilot is part of Variant Ventures (licensed in Ontario), but again, there's no information about Variant Ventures.

The blogs at WellPilot are written by Simon Smith. There's a Simon Smith in Toronto who works for Klick Health, which is involved in digital marketing. Simon Smith's LinkedIn profile says that he is "responsible for portfolio including 10 pharmaceutical drug brands and cross-brand solutions for one of the world's largest pharmaceutical manufacturers. . . ."

There's a lot of info available regarding Klick Health: "Klick Health is the largest independent digital marketing company in the world, specializing in Health and Biopharma. We are laser focused on creating digital solutions that engage and educate patients, care-givers, and healthcare providers about life-saving treatments."

So there's one definite pharmaceutical link, and likely a couple others. Though the WellPilot twitter looks a lot more insurance-friendly than pharma friendly - natural and lifestyle remedies are often recommended (plus a few pharma retweets) and antibiotics are discouraged.

misskatniss

Interesting info @Valentijn indeed I notice from day to day more how important it is not only to see internet content but always where it comes from and which are the interests. I got on that site as it was one of the first hits in my Google search on sth, don´t recall exactly what. I had kind of the idea that it might be pharmarelated or sth, and programmed by someone who doesn´t have a clue about science in this field: The way to get an overlook picture for real would NOT be an algorithm but a meta-study with very thorough quality criteria.

Anyhow I wrote to him, and guess what, he replied. He wants to make it better, asking me how to do this. Oh dear :cool: