• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Five-Dollar Challenge — send 100 messages of support to Dr Lipkin & his microbiome team by 9 Nov

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The Microbe Discovery Project said:
fivedollarwee.jpg

Five Dollar Bill image by Phil Dokas on Flickr

Since we started crowdfunding for Dr Ian Lipkin's ambitious and exciting study of the gut microbiome in ME/CFS, we’ve raised over $140,000.

There’ve been over 750 donations, including several individual whoppers of tens of thousands of dollars.

Donors have raised money by holding garden fetes, selling books, doing the ice-bucket challenge (brrr!), you name it: all in the interests of research.

But we know there’s so much more support out there, and we want the researchers to see it!

However much we finally raise, we want Dr Lipkin, Dr Hornig, and the whole research team to know how much our community supports them.

We want to encourage them and show them our appreciation by racking up the number of donations, and all it takes is $5!

So please join our Five Dollar Challenge and help us reach our target 100 donations to the Microbe Discovery Project by 9 November.

Let’s show the Columbia researchers that our community is grateful for their involvement in our neglected disease.

During the donation process, it’s possible to leave a comment and you might like to write a message there for Dr Lipkin and his co-workers.

We’d also love it if you posted here to say that you’ve donated and to share your message with us.

Let’s start donating those five dollars and sending our messages of support!

Last edited:

rosie26

Donated, and I forgot to leave a message. So, I will go and donate again before the 9th Nov and leave a message next time.
Thanks for the great job you are doing for us all - crowdfunding team - you rock.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Microbe Discovery Project on Facebook said:
PF: Donated!

BTW, I've just been informed that I shouldn't be quoting people's names from FB because some of them are from private message groups. I don't really get all that stuff so I'll just use initials instead to indicate donors.

Last edited:

Tuha

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Done. I also joined this campaign - I wanted to wait untill Christmas with my yearly ME christmas donation which I do every year but actually why to wait - I find this study great - so many patients have gut issue.
Here is direct link to the facebook post about this challenge if you like - just share it with your friends:

https://www.facebook.com/microbedis...41830.629692043766500/734068896662147/?type=1

Yes, no need to wait to save up for a big donation - just drop five bucks on this (that's £3!) so that Dr Lipkin and his team get lots of messages of support. This is about numbers of people, not money!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Its always a struggle for me to negotiate Facebook pages but I did it despite feeling sick and dizzy. Who says we aren't toughies...I've given myself a little gold paper star to stick on my dressing gown for this.

aimossy

I have donated 5$
We need to keep these researchers motivated to stick with us. It would be easy for great researchers to walk away if they have no funding to do the work that's needed. It's good to show we value them being in our field - it's a tough field to try to get anything funded in! Their work has the possibility of making serious waves for us.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Its always a struggle for me to negotiate Facebook pages but I did it despite feeling sick and dizzy. Who says we aren't toughies...I've given myself a little gold paper star to stick on my dressing gown for this.

No need to go to FB to either donate or post a message, BTW - you can post your message here and it will (eventually!) be copied across to FB and vice versa. Sorry if I've confused you by not explaining why I'm copying these messages across!

The donation link is in my signature. :)

shahida

Also, what about sending a message to your local (or even not so immediately) local Me support group to let people know about this and lipkin's study-many of us are part of such a network. If your local group/s do a newsletter why not get the message out there via this.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Also, what about sending a message to your local (or even not so immediately) local Me support group to let people know about this and lipkin's study-many of us are part of such a network. If your local group/s do a newsletter why not get the message out there via this.

Brilliant idea! :thumbsup:

shahida

Just to add i did that with my own me group which at the least will hopefully raise awareness. In do believe there's a need for us to be a sort of conduit between PR / other forums and our local networks as i've found the vast majority just dont use the forums and dont really know what's going on.

Simon

Sorry, missed this thread for some reason.

I donated and it didn't hurt.

At his talk for patients on 3rd September Ian Lipkin said how he thought the action was moving in his field from the simple link between microbes and acute infection to the likely complex role of microbes, and the immune response to microbes in chronic illnesses like ME/CFS. I think it's great we have forward thinkers like Lipkin on the case and I'm pleased to do whatever I can to encourage him and his team.